ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE:X - Fifth Official Patch Released! @ 09-22-12
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

And here's what I've been working on...

Importing all the screen animations! The amount of space for these was quite a bit smaller than in GE007, so I had to cut out a series of randomized screens that are only present in the Aztec mission. The only other minor adjustment had to be made to the skateboarder. Believe it or not, this animation was the biggest in the game. Even larger than the scrolling global screen. Since it's only used for a single instance in Bunker ii, I figured there'd be no real harm in changing it. It might not be as fancy anymore, but the guy still skates. It was either this, or something much worse.

Since getting the screens all in, I was able to update this...

The rack and its monitors can not be destroyed in VR, however. Due to the way PD handles destroyed and respawned objects in multiplayer, it gets really stupid. They shrink and lower, shrink and lower, shrink and lower. Until it's a pocket-sized tv at eye level. But, the important thing as that they're in and they have the proper screen animations.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

YES! Alriiiight! I'm really happy you were able to add in the animations for each monitor on the racks in bunker.

SATURN_81 mentioned there was an issue with the iris symbol on the opposite side of this room. In GEX, he mentioned something about the flash or reflection of the middle of it was the wrong color. Here are comparison shots from each game to see if you can notice the differences and the issue with the GEX version.

GE007 GEX

You can also see from the screenshots above that the radar pointers are two different colors in GE007 and are both square shape where as in GEX the middle pointer is a circle and both pointers are the same color.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We're aware of it. The environment mapping normals did not port correctly yet.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but the radar in PD tells if someone is above or below you, by shape, it's definitely staying and is a good addition. The colors are orange by design, to give it a new feel. They are also staying. It is not GoldenEye. It's GoldenEye:X. That is not an error, it's a new feel.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD and GE use different microcode bases. To make a long story short, the only way to make the enviroment mapping look like GE is to interpret them the way GE does instead of PD. Wreck's initial analysis of PD stages 'looking better' in GE really is true!

The reason later microcodes render faster has to do with a more minimal approach in generated RDP commands. Instead of emphasizing quality, they coded these to emphasize speed. Everything is a tradeoff.

There are only three ways to make PD do env. mapping like GE. Number one is to rewrite PD's env. mapping translation code, which is possibly beyond anyone in the N64 scene at the moment. Number two is to swap in GE's microcode (directly loading it when applicable) and swapping back to PD. Number three is to use the RDP half approach to pass pregenerated commands to the RDP, bypassing RSP interprettation altogether. Of the three, it's probably the easiest to manage, but can't say for certain if it would overrun or not.
In either case, HLE emulation will fail to handle cases 1 and 2.

It isn't a GE->PD issue. It's an issue with the entire RSP microcode branch. Look at reflectivity in games like Rush 2049 for a similiar example. Rebuild the same code for Mario and you'd have silvery-shiny surfaces like Metal Mario. Thousand times faster though.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I see what you mean about the radar. Yeah the middle pointer does seem to change shape to show what direction you're looking on. If this radar is for a new feel then I'm all for keeping it.

Thanks Wreck for pointing out the cougar magnum solution.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Going back to the monitors on the racks in bunker. So you're saying that when you shoot them now in GEX they shrink and get lower? Also in GE007 when you shoot the monitor you can hear the sound effect of glass breaking and when you shoot the black center piece you can hear the sound effect like shooting a metal crate.

I just found this out about the Automatic Shotgun.
GE007 GEX

Seems like in GE007 when you pickup the Automatic Shotgun without extra ammo you don't see any shells left when you are on the last clip. In GEX, when you are on the last 5 clips you can still see the shells on the Automatic Shotgun. I can only imagine the same concept also goes for the regular Shotgun weapon as well.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
First off, I just want to make sure none of our members begin bickering with one another. This isn't the place for that sort of thing. Any seemingly necessary comments towards one another must be done either via PM, or outside of this forum completely. Thank you.

I don't think AstroBomber meant his reply to me rudely, I think he forgot to (or didn't think to) put a smiley on the end. That's how I took it, anyway.

Quote:

I will say this about the disarm function. It will not be returning as part of unarmed. However, I do plan to have it as a function of the Taser. It will not only force people to drop their weapons, but also disorient them by blurring their screen. This will finally make that thing both fun and unique.

That does sound great. But you say "drop their weapons", whereas disarm only causes them to drop the weapon they are holding. Do you mean weapon or weapons, and for player A to get player B to drop player B's weapon(s), does player A have to tazer them from more or less touching position, or does a ranged distance work too? I think a ranged distance of a few feet (in game terms) would be best, as using it from a larger distance would make it too powerful, and having to get fairly close to use it makes it more risky (so more fun) for the player who is using it.

But how would a Peace Sim disarm someone, since they are always unarmed?

Out of interest, what does a Goldeneye NPC do that a PD NPC can't do, and vice versa?

I know that Goldeneye NPCs swat (invisible!) flys, and scratch themselves, which PD NPCs don't do. Conversely, PD NPCs can kick if you are at close range, they can shoot over stairs and railings, and they can also use the secondary function of most weapons, though that doesn't really count, as GE has no secondary functions on it's weapons.

Quote:

Release time? I know it keeps getting pushed back, but it's all in an effort to improve the quality and include more content. You guys have been patient, and that's really great. It will just have to be for a bit longer. Smile

We don't doubt it's worth it! Anyway, the wait is made much easier (for me, at least) by us being able to play Perfect Dark with the Goldeneye weapons and the sims using mines (the latter isn't great considering the sims' less than ultra-skillful use of the mines, but is still fun, and the Goldeneye weapons work fantastically in PD, thanks again to all concerned for the work and the patch that makes that possible).

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In GE007's multiplayer, when you destroyed the hanging monitors, they wouldn't drop to the floor as they do in the mission. Instead, they'd stay in place and respawn at their normal position. In PD multi, once something explodes, it shrinks in size and moves slightly. When it regenerates, it stays roughly the same size as it was when it got broken. With the monitors, they drop down slightly each time you destroy them. So, to avoid this mess, the whole rack system is invincible.

Yeah, I've been aware of the shotgun shells since first porting them. It's a special function in GE007, which loads the shell models in based on your ammo count. I'm really not sure if this can be replicated here. The Devastator feeds the ammo into the weapon as you're firing it, and the Magnum does have rounds inside the chamber, but I haven't checked to see if that is based on ammo count.

You could technically lose your "weapons" if you're dual wielding. The rest of your unequipped items would remain in your possession.

There are two different kinds of tasers/stun guns. One that fires two electrodes into a target, and another that is used at close range to shock an attacker. Either one causes the brain to lose control over the muscles in the body. Those muscles contract involuntarily, forcing the person to release any held item, while also sending them to the ground.

I suppose either of those two methods would work. GE007 simply fired the taser at opponents. But you can't determine the distance a fired round can travel, like how you can set the range of a melee weapon. If could use something like the Tranquilizer's instant kill function, where the weapon moves forward to strike, that could make for a nice taser use. Of course, it won't kill them. It'd just distort their vision and force them to drop their gun.

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

is fantastic as are the new GE007 screens, it's a shame that the space was not big enough to include them all. I'm looking forward to seeing in missions computers with GE007 animations.

What patch level 5b can play Deep Sea?

Wreck indeed, it seems that you get a cost effective solution for Moonreaker your shutter speed as well as the Grenade Launcher. wanted to ask if you can apply the same method you used to correct the rate of fire of Magnum?

for the new trailer I think it may incorporate changes in the Taser, the racks of Bunker with hanging displays, new doors Caverns, the new vehicle Lancha, the Flash for the new weapons, speed guns formerly giving problems as well as some corrections and surprises (if you want to indicate some on video).

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I got a suggestion.. add more and don't get overworked on bots Cool

So what's the Suggestions sticky thread for ? Surprised

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
In GE007's multiplayer, when you destroyed the hanging monitors, they wouldn't drop to the floor as they do in the mission. Instead, they'd stay in place and respawn at their normal position. In PD multi, once something explodes, it shrinks in size and moves slightly. When it regenerates, it stays roughly the same size as it was when it got broken. With the monitors, they drop down slightly each time you destroy them. So, to avoid this mess, the whole rack system is invincible.

Yeah, I've been aware of the shotgun shells since first porting them. It's a special function in GE007, which loads the shell models in based on your ammo count. I'm really not sure if this can be replicated here. The Devastator feeds the ammo into the weapon as you're firing it, and the Magnum does have rounds inside the chamber, but I haven't checked to see if that is based on ammo count.

You could technically lose your "weapons" if you're dual wielding. The rest of your unequipped items would remain in your possession.

There are two different kinds of tasers/stun guns. One that fires two electrodes into a target, and another that is used at close range to shock an attacker. Either one causes the brain to lose control over the muscles in the body. Those muscles contract involuntarily, forcing the person to release any held item, while also sending them to the ground.

I suppose either of those two methods would work. GE007 simply fired the taser at opponents. But you can't determine the distance a fired round can travel, like how you can set the range of a melee weapon. If could use something like the Tranquilizer's instant kill function, where the weapon moves forward to strike, that could make for a nice taser use. Of course, it won't kill them. It'd just distort their vision and force them to drop their gun.

Yeah I think it's best to just keep the hanging monitors invincible to avoid that mess as you said. I can live with that.

I haven't noticed anything with the magnum's chamber in GE007, unless you're talking about the reloading sequence of the magnum in PD? Hopefully you guys can find a way to make this animation possible for the shotgun's chamber being without shells.

In regards to the taser it sounds at first like you were going to give the taser a secondary function to disarm and blurry the vision of the opponent but now it sounds like you are going to give the taser just one firing function which is to disarm sims and human players and disorient their vision at the same time. What I meant to say was I thought you were going to have a regular attack where you taser someone and they die and the secondary function being disarm w/ blurry vision effect.

Will the taser be a selectable weapon in multi as well?

I think it's best if you check the color of the Grenade Launcher's shells cause it's probably white as well on console instead of the glowing greenish color used from GE007.

Last but not least hopefully the firing rates for Moonraker Laser and Grenade Launcher are corrected and match GE007 for v5b release.

Back to the hanging monitors once more. I was wondering what sound effect will the hanging monitors use when you shoot at them? I know they will not be destroyed but they should atleast have a distinct sound effect like the wooden doors in train and when you shoot metal objects.

Also curious about the "SWOOSH" sound effect you hear in GE007 when you throw any of the mines and hand grenades in the air. Have those sounds been corrected now in GEX or are they the same sound effects in both PD and GE007?

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:

??? The bots are very important, as for most of us they're often the only opponents we get to face in GEX, especially since so many gamers are of the Clone of Duty school of thought, and wouldn't want to play something as 'simple' and unforgiving as a game with GE/PD's mechanics.

Personally, I'd say don't worry about the accuracy of the weapon copying from GE to GEX, as to me I don't care if gun x has muzzle flash in GE but not in GEX, or has too high a firing rate in GEX when compared to GE. But lots of other people consider that to be vital to the GEX experience. I personally really want the single player campaign (especially with the improvements the team has planned), but some people won't care at all about that and only care about GEX's multiplayer.

We all want different things, that's just human nature. Except for the Klobb, of course - no one wants that! Wink

fantsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD's Devastator has the same thing going on with the ammo as the shotgun has in GE. It can show different amounts of ammo in the clip, depending how much you have left.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This took a bit of doing, but...

First we tried changing some dispay list commands. Then we tried making all the vertices it uses unique. We even tried making this thing into a head to see if the environment mapping would work any differently. It wasn't until turning it into a prop and setting the correct object bitflags that it really worked. And it actually "lights" much more pleasantly when a weapon is fired in the room. Instead of a bright flash and a strange morphing effect to the texture, it only brightens a very low amount. Thankfully this sort of reflective architecture is used only on rare occasions in level backgrounds. This method should be able to correct most, if not all, of those.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:

Just made use of the Suggestions sticky thread. Everyone here should check it out. Especially the GEX Team. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: