ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Perfect Dark PAL Beta
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm... You may not have flushed out other PD ROMs, but there's a lot of Rare games popping up the last couple years. Somewhat recent was a 2001 build of Diddy Kong Pilot, and a 2003 was released some time before. It wasn't on a cart either; original file is an elf, so that came from a developer PC.

There were some other handheld games leaked; a proto Battletoads notably, and something else if memory serves though Assemblergames' search feature isn't playing nice today.

That's really notable for such a paranoid company like Rare.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm assuming there's another PD out there somewhere, based on this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR5Jcf6oIoA

It's certainly cool that all of this stuff is popping up now. I wish I had some extra cash to get this PAL beta dumped.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
I'm assuming there's another PD out there somewhere, based on this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR5Jcf6oIoA

Love the fact that that vid surfaced. Great watch, saved to my PC a couple months ago.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is. It's much earlier and incomplete. It would take somebody very convincing to get a dump out of them. My guess is CARROT could, but they're semi-retired at the moment.
The person with that copy is hacking-proficient and has decompressed all the files, poking at a few. Don't know specifics sadly. It predates many PD-specific modifications to the engine, such as weapon modes. We could figure out the specific version based on comparison to the beta text files.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It'd be nice if someone could convince them to write up an in-depth list of differences, at least. I don't care so much about playing a prototype as much as I do preserving it (which they've already done) and knowing how the game was changed during development. That video shows surprisingly near-final looking gameplay, mostly only audio had major changes. (from looks.)

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Non-stacked ammo bars...! Reg. Falcon 2 in first level... Differen't menu layouts. Curious what the Combat Simulator menu looks like to be honest.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, showing off multiplayer would've been cool. Might actually find out exactly what Touch That Box was.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just to throw out this out there - if anyone has any VHS tapes of Beta PD/GE that they haven't mentioned or don't know how to get transfered, PM me. I can do quality transfers.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In Touch That Box! you'd run into one of various rooms and touch a box to light the room your color. Scoring is based on # controlled rooms.

It's a similiar concept to the graffitti mode from the Tony Hawk games, if you've ever played any of those.

It's a bit understandable why it was cut. Complete control with anything other than a couple humans would be tedious or impossible. It might have worked better with captured time * # points controlled, so scoring is dependant more on how long you can secure X many boxes.

Borman
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do you guys have the build date for the NTSC build handy? I can't imagine that this new NTSC beta is much earlier than the PAL one, but it does have a couple more debug functions.

Borman
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Got it, April 6th is the retail build, so a few weeks. Im told that this build may be the earliest to survive outside of studio hands, sadly.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just saw your video of the NTSC beta. Version 6.4, huh? The final NTSC versions have text files left over from 4.4 and 5.3, but not that one, so I can't really point you to anything specific to look for changes (5.3's text was already near-final, only missing a few pointless strings here and there). Are the special assignment missions finished in that version? The 4.4 text hinted at them being in a very early state, but again 5.3 was pretty much the same as final so I doubt you're going to get any big surprises there.

Edit: I must say that missing collision in the CI is really interesting, too. There are pads floating in the void in that general area in the final version, although I think they're higher up. Makes me wonder if there was another hallway there at one point and they forgot to update the collision tiles for that wall. (Doubtful, probably just a coincidence.)

Like I posted on your video, does the tiles debug option work?

Edit 2: Starting to doubt missing collision is coincidence:

I always thought you'd get to them through the second set of front doors, but now I'm starting to wonder! Have you checked out the CI Defense mission? Doubt there'd be anything different since they share a background. (Not pads, but pads are the same anyway)

Last edited by Dragonsbrethren on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It also looks like a lot of portals were messed up with the doors in CI. This is promising for interesting things, 0.3 versions back. Nothing revolutionary, but we are going to see changes, and maybe get lucky. It's not going to be the crazy beta like face mapping, etc, but it's still going to be interesting. I'm very much looking forward to getting my hands on it, so I can add it to the editor, and do a big file rip comparison, etc...You should do a diff of text files though from retail, it's just a lot harder without editor support since you won't have names, but GEDecompressor can rip them.

Was there some sort of orange menu text when talking to a computer in CI? I couldn't read it.

Borman
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Watch the video in 720p. There is a debug option that enables actor info or something like that.

It doesnt seem that the Tiles option works properly, but as we're seeing with Conker, there are some things that likely don't work as they should on the emulator. Im curious to see if running it on a console makes all of the betas run a bit better.

Ill try to remember to take a look at the CI Defense mission. The issue being that I wouldn't be able to spot anything different unless I do a side by side comparison, as I really haven't played the game before.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The orange text looks like a character object debugger:

Code:
CHR(3)
NONE
ACT_STAND
NOTUSINGLIFT

I'll get on doing a comparison between 5.3 and 8.7 files, find some things to look into, like I said they're near-final already in 5.3 though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 4 of 16

Jump to: