ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Wow! Just wow...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Wow! Just wow... Reply with quote Back to top

I love mods, and I love emulators. But of all the emulators I use (Spectrum/SNES/C64/Atari ST/MAME/etc) the only type I've never gotten to run satisfactorily are the N64 emulators, as they've always had glitches or momentary slowdowns that 'ruined' the gaming experience for me. But I really wanted to use an emulator for Goldeneye X, as PD and Goldeneye are, respectively, my fist and second favourite games of all time.

So I've bought an Everdrive 64 (it arrived today) so that I can run Goldeneye X on my N64, and I've just tried Goldeneye X v0.5a, and to say I'm impressed is a *huge* understatement. It's incredible what you have achieved, and when I consider that you've worked out most or all of this without access to the PD/GE source code or (I assume) N64 programming documents it's even more astounding.

Put it this way; I love game mods. To me, replayability is a huge aspect of gameplay, maybe the biggest, and so I love collecting and playing (the best) mods for the games I love. And when I say that for playability and professionalism Goldeneye X is up there with the very best mods of the PC gaming scene I'm not exaggerating. I am going to be spending a *lot* of time fighting against the bots (sims), I can tell you! Not now, of course (I'm at work, I only had about twenty minutes to try Goldeneye X when the Everdrive turned up, then I had to leave to catch the train, but I am *really* looking forward to getting home and booting up Goldeneye X again!).

I do, however, have some requests that I hope you'll consider:

1. Can you please bring back the disarm and screen blur functions, but add options to disable them for the people who'd prefer to do without them. I.e.:

Disarm Enabled,
Disarm Disabled,
Screen Blur On,
Screen Blur Off,
Screen Blur Only Until Death (i.e. when the player dies, if his screen was blurred it's not when he respawns).

2. Would you consider making the singleplayer and multiplayer versions of Goldeneye X seperate files (you could maybe call them Goldeneye X and Goldeneye X Arena, respectively). This way, you'd have the full 32MB of space for either single or multiplayer mode. I ask this as I'd love to see all of the Perfect Dark multiplayer maps, including the three redone Goldeneye maps, playable with Goldeneye X's weapons and features. Plus (and I'm really pushing my luck here, I know, but I'm so happy about how good 0.5a is that I can't help but daydream about what would make it perfect) there might be room left for the multiplayer to incorporate maps made up of cut down areas of PD/GE's single player areas. How fantastic would it be to play multi-player in the Jungle, Statue, Chicago Streets (with the rain - I love rain in games!) or in the Carrington Institute?

And this way you would have the full 32MB of space for Goldeneye X's single player mode.

3. Could you add an option so that when someone (sim or human, the same option applies to everyone) respawns they start with a weapon from a given slot, i.e.:

Start With Weapon: None
Start With Weapon: Number 1
Start With Weapon: Number 2
Start With Weapon: Number 3
Start With Weapon: Number 4
Start With Weapon: Number 5
Start With Weapon: Number 6

4. Could you add an option for the player to choose where the flag bases are in capture the flag (Flag Tag) - this was something I felt was really missing from Perfect Dark, as the random placement of the bases in a given game could result the bases being too close, or negating passage of some of the best parts of the map. You wouldn't have to describe where the bases are in words, as in many cases this would be difficult (I mean, you'd end up with "In the corner opposite the door that leads downwards in an 'L' shape to the room with the srange pillar"), you could just number the places in the option, and let the player experiment himself to discover where each number refers too.

I.e, if there are eight places in a level where the base can be placed, then have:

Base One will be placed at: Random
Base One will be placed at: Location 1
Base One will be placed at: Location 2
Base One will be placed at: Location 3
Base One will be placed at: Location 4
Base One will be placed at: Location 5
Base One will be placed at: Location 6
Base One will be placed at: Location 7
Base One will be placed at: Location 8

Base Two will be placed at: Random
Base One will be placed at: Location 1

etc, up to Base Four (assuming there are still up to four bases in a Goldeneye X capture the flag game).

5. Could you add a function whereby, if a player has Combat Boost (Focus Pill) in his inventory, then pressing the Left Shoulder Button will take the Pill, even if the pill is not the currently 'active' inventory item? I always felt that it was a bit inconvenient, having to select the Combat Boost, then activate it, then re-select your weapon. Being able to use the (otherwise useless, in my experience) Left Shoulder Button to activate the Combat Boost would be a great advantage. Also, would it be possible to make the game not give you a slow-motion death and a longer than normal wait until you respawn, when you die whilst under the influence of a Combat Boost? Instead, can the game be made to immediately halt the Combat Boost slowdown effect as soon as your death is decided (or your health reaches zero, whichever the game does first).

Also, currently if you die whilst using a Combat Boost, then when you respawn you are still under it's influence, until it's time runs out, which to me seems like a bug rather than a deliberate gameplay choice. I think a 'clean' respawn is preferable, so if it is a bug can you fix it, or if it's a deliberate choice on your part can you add an option to disable it, please?

6. Can you make the Perfect Dark weapons usable in Goldeneye X's multiplayer, please? And it would be great if you could add an option to the weapon select menu to "Randomize current weapon order", which would just randomize the listed order of the current weapons (and so also alter their placement in the game), i.e. if the weapons listed were:

1. DD44 Dostovei
2. Cougar Magnum
3. RC-P90
4. Automatic Shotgun
5. Body Armour
6. Disabled

then the player selected "Randomize current weapon order" then he might get:

1. Cougar Magnum
2. RC-P90
3. DD44 Dostovei
4. Disabled
5. Automatic Shotgun
6. Body Armour

and then if the player selected "Randomize current weapon order" again then he might get:

1. Body Armour
2. Disabled
3. DD44 Dostovei
4. Cougar Magnum
5. Automatic Shotgun
6. RC-P90

There wouldn't have to be any complicated alorithms to preven repeated positions of any weapon, just a random placement, as even though this would sometimes result in one or more weapons not changing places (as in the case of the Automatic Shotgun, above) the player can just hit "Randomize current weapon order" until he's happy. The ""Randomize current weapon order" option should be available whether the weapons set chosen is custom, or a fixed weapon set.

However, if the weapon set is "custom", then another great option to add would be "Add Random Weapons", which when selected would delete all of the six weapons, and add six random weapons, in random order.

7. This might be too hard to implement (though what you've done so far is little short of miraculous) but when choosing the body and head, could you make it so that you see say eight heads or bodies (the user toggles between just heads, or heads + bodies) in say two rows of four, and when the user presses Left Shoulder Button or Right Shoulder Button then the display switches to the previous/next eight? This would make it faster to choose which skins you want for the character.

8. Another feature I wished Perfect Dark had was a sort of extended Challenge list. What I mean is, Turok Rage Wars (which personally I never much liked, though some people loved it) had a *lot* more preset matches than PD, and I'd have loved to have had a full match tree in PD. Granted this would be a huge amount of work to set up, no doubt, and I'm sure you'd rather spend that time and effort on other things, but it does make me wonder if a compromise could be reached by making an Algorithm based match list, that the player could work his way through. You know, maybe match one is:

Weapon set 1,
Map 1,
Sims: 1 easy sim.

Match two:

Weapon set 2,
Map 2,
Sims: 1 easy sim.

and when the last map has been played (and for the purpose of the maths in this example, let's assume that Goldeneye X has fifteen multiplayer maps, then the next match is:

Match Sixteen:

Weapon set (the next one after whatever the last one played was)
Map 1
Sims: 1 Nomal Sim,

Match Seventeen:

Map 2
Sims: 1 Normal Sim,

etc. Every match would be deathmatch, with (say) a twenty minute time limit and a twenty point score limit. This would help train the player against the sims, as well as add more preset matches. The number of matches could be padded out with non-deathmatch games at given points in the game tree (alright, so it's not a game 'tree', as such, as it's a linear line, but still...).

If you do decided to consider adding this, then perhaps it would make an interesting topic as to what format the games and their order should follow, and what constants and variable gameplay factors would need to be involved.

9. Would it be possible to add a Last Man Standing mode to Goldeneye X? Like You Only Live Twice, but where an option is available to choose the number of lives from say one to forty. You'd also probably have to add an option to allow the player to choose what the game would do if all the human players had lost all of their lives, and the only players left were sims - should the game abort and go back to the main menu, or continue playing until the sims were dead. I.e., the option could be:

When all humans are out of the match: Abort Game
When all humans are out of the match: Continue Until The End.

The problem with the latter is that unless the game can be made to show the Sims fighting (say from the point of view of one of the sims, as Turok 3 allows) then what do you display on the screen until the game is over? Which leads me to my final request (number 10, below, which if it is impossible, but you do decide to implement this request, then perhaps it's best just to end the Last Man Standing match when all humans are out, as it does in The World is Not Enough).

10. Would it be possible to add an option so that, even if there is just one human playing, then the screen could be split up to show the match from the sims eyes too? I'm pretty sure Forsaken 64 allows this. I doub tmany people would want this option, but it could be interesting, though if it's possible then it would probably be best if it was added to the pause menu, so the user could enable or disable it when he chose.

Right, I'm really sorry to have been so long winded, and to have made so many requests, it's just that for years I've been daydreaming of the perfect video game, and it's always been largely based on Perfect Dark crossed with Goldeneye, and now that I've found that Goldeneye X is so close to what I want (I would have known it much sooner, if I could have gotten an emulator to run well...) I can't help but post everything I'd like to see in the game, in the hope that you'll think it's worth implementing.

Please consider everything I've written. I know you must be really busy, not just with the project but with real life (we all are - remember when you were a kid with all the time in the world?), and no doubt you have a long, long list of thing you already want to add to Goldeneye X, but please think about what I've posted. If you don't want to add any or all of them, then fair enough of course (I'm *really* happy with what you've done so far), but I do think that the things I've added would really improve the game, so please don't dismiss them as the random postings of someone who's just writing for the sake of writing, I do think they'd benefit the game.

Anyway, thanks so very very much for your work so far - I'm not exaggerating, this is incredible work, and your effort hasn't been the least bit wasted, as the resulting gameplay is as every bit as good as we could have hoped.

There's a new Bond game out, called 007 Legends, which by all accounts is as mediocre and Call of Duty-like as you'd expect nowadays, but I really don't care at all now I'm finally able to play Goldeneye X. So thanks again, your work is *really* appreciated here.

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That weapon slot idea is great! While I've sometime hard coded it so that players start with a pistol I've never thought of having a setting so that they start with a slot. I wouldn't know how difficult it'd be to do, but it'd b great in goldeneye also!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: