ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

20 of the custom missions in 1 ROM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedruntrainer
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: 20 of the custom missions in 1 ROM? Reply with quote Back to top

Hello.

I have a question.
Is it possible to have 20 custom missions in 1 ROM?
That's really nice Smile

Thanks in advance Wink

My YouTube: www.youtube.com/speedruntrainer

My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/speedruntrainer/

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/speedruntrainer

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can but it takes a little work of injecting into same ROM the individual files, and if they used custom textures they can conflict, or at the least takes more work.

notatroll
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 20 of the custom missions in 1 ROM? Reply with quote Back to top

speedruntrainer wrote:
Hello.

I have a question.
That's really nice Smile

Thanks in advance Wink

speed get your ass back on the server.
u need to play black star for the best online title.

this is golden-eye-joe btw, if you didnt already know

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: 20 of the custom missions in 1 ROM? Reply with quote Back to top

notatroll wrote:
speedruntrainer wrote:
Hello.

I have a question.
That's really nice Smile

Thanks in advance Wink

speed get your ass back on the server.
u need to play black star for the best online title.

this is golden-eye-joe btw, if you didnt already know

I might not be a moderator but you are going off topic completely Notatroll. Might wanna try and stay on topic for now on. So you won't throw others off with the topic.

Anyway yes it is possible to fit 20 missions into one Rom. Just like how people replace most of the maps in a patch for multiplayer.

Problem is that Subdrag mention is that it can mess up with the textures. Also another good reason might be the size of the patch as well. Since they can get quite big with the more levels added to it.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 20 of the custom missions in 1 ROM? Reply with quote Back to top

speedruntrainer wrote:
Hello.

I have a question.
That's really nice Smile

Thanks in advance Wink

Silvereye is going to put all of his missions into one ROM (see http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?t=5859 ), which is going to be *brilliant*! Plus Goldeneye X is going to have all of the single player missions as well as the multiplayer levels (there's aparently a good chance of the next Goldeneye X beta being released before Christmas, though I don't think it will have any single player levels yet), and I'm hoping more (new and existing) missions are merged into single-ROM patches, for the convenience and ease of the players.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I suppose to ease this a bit we could make a script that autoincrements new image indicies, but it would certainly gack on any level that would interfere with another's data. The most common case of this would be two stages set to the same level ID, or any resources borrowed from one to another (like stolen IDs or bg settings). If two stages use custom objects they could conflict as well.

The big limitation has always been images though. We only have so many slots, and they can't be extended any more without some serious modification. More like trickery, but I'm digressing.

I'll look into it sometime when I have a little time to spare. At the least, should be able to write something that tells you how they're incompatible.

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

oh god.
i hope I am not going to get problems with my pack... Confused
So, i shouldn't change textures or i will get some problems or are there other issues, even if I keep it basic?
Oh and it makes me happy Kerr Avon that you call it a brilliant plan, but like i said before don't expect too much, it will be basic. But nice basic, I hope Smile
OH and speedruntrainer? I clicked at your link of world records, i saw something DUTCH world record...next i saw your youtube channel-location-netherlands-do you speak dutch? Ik spreek nederlands. Ik denk dat jij dus ook nederkands spreekt! Laughing

Last edited by SilverEye on Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:57 am; edited 1 time in total

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There's only an issue if you're trying to combine multiple project files together and don't know what you're doing.

See, each project file includes an image assignment file. It's a small text file that sets the index numbers, allowing it to correct the numbers in the models you load. When you use a new image in a model, it uses a funny codeword so it knows which entry to look up, then magically corrects it all on final build.

Thing is, if you try to just copy+paste between projects it will obviously screw everything up, so you'd have to either build everything in one project or import and fix everything. That's why I suggested a script; it would automate the process.

Don't spaz, your project will probably be fine.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@ SilverEye
As long as you don't add custom textures to your levels then there's nothing to worry about, so it's going to be ok for you.

The big concern about getting multiple levels with custom textures in the same ROM is that they are probably going to share same ID for different textures (or even don't have a texture to match the ID at all).
To fix this you need to create a new rom with all custom textures from different levels, and edit the projects so they are linked to the correct new textures IDs; then add all levels to that rom. That would be the more time consuming thing.

I'm terrible explaining this Embarassed . I hope you understand.

Example:
Say you want to put two new levels from vault with custom textures (one placed in a volcano and another in the moon, lol) in the same rom. The volcano level has 5 new textures and the moon one has 3 new textures.
The new textures are stored in rom after the original GE ones, so if last ID was 0A00 (for example), the volcano textures will ocuppie IDs 0A01, 0A02, 0A03, 0A04 and 0A05. And the moon level will have its custom textures in IDs 0A01, 0A02 and 0A03.
If you inject the moon level files to the volcano rom, the moon level new textures will use the volcano's ones (because they share ID and the moon textures aren't in the rom).
If you inject the volcano level to the moon rom then the volcano level will have missing textures (IDs 0A04 and 0A05) since there are no textures attached to them, and the other 3 will use moon's textures. I don't now if the level will work at all, have those untextured (plain white) or crash when you see one of those unattached textures...

So the correct way to put both levels in a rom will be:
-Open the volcano rom in Image Tools (or open a new GE rom)
-Add the moon textures to and of rom, which new IDs will be 0A06, 0A07 and 0A08 (or add volcano and moon textures to end of rom)
-Start a new project in editor with the moon level files, and save it with the new rom as base, then close editor and open the project again (so the new texture IDs are updated).
-Change textures IDs in visual editor so they match the new IDs. Save project
-Inject new level files to the rom with all custom textures in it.

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mmmh since i am still learning -and failing, rom doesnt wants to load- how to change textures, i don't think I will change textures in the pack. But thanks for explaining you never know if i ever need it again..

speedruntrainer
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I see what I can do with the custom missions in 1 ROM.
I'm thinking of patching a custom ROM already, not sure if it will work, will try if I'm home.

Yes, SilverEye, I'm indeed Dutch.
That Facility Agent 0:47 is only a tied record in my country, not the world.
I will go for 0:46 sometime. But not now.

My YouTube: www.youtube.com/speedruntrainer

My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/speedruntrainer/

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/speedruntrainer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: