ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Is this board still active?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TigglesWorth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Is this board still active? Reply with quote Back to top

The old Goldeneye Online community is coming back into existence, and we invite you to join us! If this board is active, I'm hoping to spark some interest in a few people to come play.
Add cannonwe2@hotmail.com on skype, and we'll add you to the group. Hope to see you there.

-Tiggles Worth

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you guys play modded ROMs at all, I'd like to recommend the Mirror Multi patch I released just recently. It flips all eleven multiplayer levels around, like a mirror mode in racing games. It's a brand new way to play classic maps that everybody knows so well. /shamelessplug Razz

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
If you guys play modded ROMs at all, I'd like to recommend the Mirror Multi patch I released just recently. It flips all eleven multiplayer levels around, like a mirror mode in racing games. It's a brand new way to play classic maps that everybody knows so well. /shamelessplug Razz

Can you add that for GEX and Perfect Dark, please, so we can play against the sims?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:
Can you add that for GEX and Perfect Dark, please, so we can play against the sims?

We had to write a lot of special tools for this. PD is a whole 'nother ballgame. One day maybe.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
Kerr Avon wrote:

We had to write a lot of special tools for this. PD is a whole 'nother ballgame. One day maybe.

Fair enough, thanks.

TigglesWorth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some of us do play modded roms every now and then, but I tend to stick with the vanilla rom. Less trouble to go through that way, and I like the game the way it was made (although, sometimes custom content is pretty fun, too).

Does anyone on here have the software to make rom hacks of Goldeneye, and could you direct me towards what I'll need to do it? I'm a pretty darn good programmer when it comes to C++ and JavaScript and other things like that, but I have a feeling Goldeneye was written in Machine Code (assembler). I'd like to be able to edit the game straight from the code and run it. Anybody who can help me would be appreciated.

-Tiggles Worth

EDIT:
Also, Wreck, it's been a while Smile how are you? It's awesome to see that you still actively check and respond to messages on this board, that takes dedication (because I know sometimes the whole Goldeneye scene goes a little stale). Awesome to hear from you after so long of being absent.

Rey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this board still active? Reply with quote Back to top

Cannonwe2 wrote:
The old Goldeneye Online community is coming back into existence, and we invite you to join us! If this board is active, I'm hoping to spark some interest in a few people to come play.
Add cannonwe2@hotmail.com on skype, and we'll add you to the group. Hope to see you there.

-Tiggles Worth

Were do get this from? What happen to other were you fools kicked me? Question Laughing
I did mine and now you to want control?

TigglesWorth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this board still active? Reply with quote Back to top

Rey wrote:
Cannonwe2 wrote:

-Tiggles Worth

Were do get this from? What happen to other were you fools kicked me? Question Laughing
I did mine and now you to want control?

Never asked for control or claimed that I have any control. I merely said that we're on skype, we've been playing on kaillera, and Goldeneye is getting some activity again

Rey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing going on here folks. It's all good haha.

TigglesWorth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rey, stop being a spoilsport. Smile

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No idea what the last couple of posts were about, but to go back on topic (...ish), what language(s) were N64 games written in? I could imagine that Rare, if anyone, used machine code (assembler) for their games, especially when you consider how much they seemed to be ahead of other companies with regards to what they could technically do with the hardware, but did other companies use C/C++ or what?

Rare too might have used C/C++ for the less intensive routines and only resorted to assembler for speed reasons.

TigglesWorth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:
No idea what the last couple of posts were about, but to go back on topic (...ish), what language(s) were N64 games written in? I could imagine that Rare, if anyone, used machine code (assembler) for their games, especially when you consider how much they seemed to be ahead of other companies with regards to what they could technically do with the hardware, but did other companies use C/C++ or what?

Rare too might have used C/C++ for the less intensive routines and only resorted to assembler for speed reasons.

I can't tell you for sure, but I don't think there are any n64 games written in any high-level language. It just seems unlikely that they would have bothered to try to fit a compiler onto the system... And besides, the n64 has no hard drive, so it could be an impossible task. Maybe not, maybe I'm wrong.

My guess is that it's all assembler though. It makes the most sense - when we edit n64 roms, we're editing hexidecimal. I'll have to look it up later when I get the chance

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TigglesWorth wrote:
I can't tell you for sure, but I don't think there are any n64 games written in any high-level language. It just seems unlikely that they would have bothered to try to fit a compiler onto the system... And besides, the n64 has no hard drive, so it could be an impossible task. Maybe not, maybe I'm wrong.

What? You don't run the compiler on the target platform, and you certainly don't need a hard drive to run compiled code.

By the PS1/N64 era, high level languages were viable on consoles. I'm not sure if programmers coded entirely in C in that era or if it was still a combination of C and hand-optimized ASM like PC games in the early-to-mid 90s.

TigglesWorth
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
TigglesWorth wrote:

What? You don't run the compiler on the target platform, and you certainly don't need a hard drive to run compiled code.

By the PS1/N64 era, high level languages were viable on consoles. I'm not sure if programmers coded entirely in C in that era or if it was still a combination of C and hand-optimized ASM like PC games in the early-to-mid 90s.

Like I said, I could be entirely wrong. Anyway, I'm not sure if they used any compiled code on the N64 anyway, it seems like it would have been easier for them to stick to ASM. Running compiled code would have taken more effort, and more space on the cartridge (not that they were too worried about space, either, considering the things they dummied out of the game without actually deleting entirely).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: