ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Very impressed with Goldeneye X, but lag issues online..?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
00adam
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:53 pm    Post subject: Very impressed with Goldeneye X, but lag issues online..? Reply with quote Back to top

First and foremost I am so impressed by this so well done Wreck if it's all you that is! Being somewhat of a Goldeney Veteran and playing it and perfect dark to death back in the day, bringing the perfect dark improvements to the original bondness of Goldeneye is just brilliant!

Using Jabos 1.6 Plugin and Azimers Audio it seems to run near perfectly on my laptop (apart from a small bar across the bottom, some graphical glitch at times) on 1280 x 900 32bit resolution.

However online with my friend it is stuttering terribly when we finally got going on p2p after he kepts getting dropped from a server. Both of our pings were < 50ms - what could this be?

Would love to have a good online match soon if anyone fancies a game?? Wink

Last edited by 00adam on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total

TH126
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Try playing at a more reasonable (for online play) video size. 640x480 is ideal. Playing at full screen can be really problematic if that is what you are doing. If not, try downloading GameBooster. It cancels out all unwanted programs while launching games/emulators. Really boosts performance.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Very impressed with Goldeneye X, but lag issues online.. Reply with quote Back to top

00adam wrote:
(apart from a small bar across the bottom, some graphical glitch at times)

Well if you're talking about the small graphical glitch displayed at the bottom screen, to get rid of that you have to go to options, click under video, then in video options tick the "Hi-Res" option on. That should eliminate the problem with the bottom graphical display glitch.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, 00adam!
I'm not alone in working on this project, however. Other big contributions have been made by SubDrag, and a few others have also added to the game. 00action for certain levels, Sogun for the Citadel makeover, Trevor for some new models, and ZMG88 for music.

Hopefully you'll be able to figure out a good way of playing with your friend online. You didn't mention which emulator you were using. Most people would strongly recommend Mupen 64++ Beta. PJ64 has a tendency to desync more often. And does your friend live nearby, or somewhere on the opposite end of the globe?

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

00adam
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Morning, well it is for us in the UK anyway.

He lives neaby but his connection is suspect as he was dropping from a server (couldn't even get going had to use p2p which is where it was glitching terribly) and I just tried it using my 2 machines on seperate connections and it worked much better!

Yes we are using Mupen64++ with the plugins I mentioned but in options > video settings there is no Hi-Res option?

But well done to all involved, having sims to shoot (who can see past invisibale barriers) plus the other improvements while it still feeling like Goldeneye is ace!!

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi res option is in the setting of the actual game options. I had the same problem and it fixes it.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
00adam
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

And there we have it, running pretty well thank you. Am using my 5y old laptop with basic Intel 965 graphics chip, but do have a speedier option. Would this eliminate the slowdown when mines go off??

Sims on Bunker, why do I have to wait until now to play all this!! hahaha

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There is a turbo mode option for multiplayer but I'm not too sure how much that helps. It may help with slowdown during online play but not sure about mine explosions.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PC gaming ping only measures response time for a message from one PC to another. Actual latency also involves waiting for the signal to be sent by the game.
Each 'step' is getting lagged since it's waiting for the other PC to process its step and send a packet, so even though you send and recieve packets at a high rate over the cable, the rate at which they are sent is quite low.

So, the trouble here is that your emulator is spending so much time processing game and video data between bursts that you notice it ;*)

Lower video settings and high thread priority on both computers are good ideas. Also, you're probably going to have to roll-back some of the CPU-intensive video options on both PCs. You'll have to consult the plugin's help file; most are good about mentioning what features are more intensive than others.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: