ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GEX 5B Official Patch Released! @ 03-01-13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:

While it might be fun to have simple setups in the empty mission levels, it means I'd have to port (and possibly adjust) the AI path network for guards to function properly. It's more work than it is worth, sadly.

What do you mean by "simple setups"? You mean have the NPCs in the single player levels? Don't worry, it'll be great just being able to walk around the empty levels, or have them populated by NPCs, or even if we can't access the single player levels at all it'll still be great as we can play the latest vesion of the multiplayer including the two new multiplayer levels.

Whatever mate, don't make extra work for yourself - we'll be glad to see whatever is in this new patch (new multilayer levels are *always* welcome), and we know we'll get to play the single player levels including enemies, objectives, and everything, sooner or later. As long as you don't abandon the project, the internet is sadly full of abandoned projects, some of which could have been fantastic. And GEX is my favourite mod, so I particularly hope it doesn't stop unfinished.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In GoldenEye (and I assume it's the same in Perfect Dark), NPC's need a path network in order to navigate the level or it would lag horribly once they notice you and need to move.

You could make a small path network in order to have a few guards protecting a small area, but you would have to test it to make sure the level doesn't crash. Making that for all 20 levels would take a lot of time. And you would have to replace those setups anyway once missions are finished, so better focusing on the real thing.

What would be cool is having counter-operative mode available (like it's a 1vs1 multi, hehe). I don't know what you have to do in order to make it work, though.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

First off I want to say YES!! YES!! YES!!

I am glad the Moonraker Laser has both the held trigger and press repeatedly firing rates matched to the original. This puts an end to all things weapons related with the exception of the missing Taser. (and Tank?)

I have to agree 100% with everything Kerr Avon said and Sogun makes a really good point in the end of his comment. I'm in agreement with both of them.

*Eagerly waits for the official trailer*

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Counter-operative, eh? I don't think I've ever tried loading up an empty mission in that mode. Cooperative does work, though. I guess if the other doesn't, you could always play pretend, and have Bond battle it out with his partner. Another 00 agent gone bad?!? Razz

It's also fun to select an assignment, but back out and select a different stage to play it in. Especially since the actual assignments only take place in the original levels. You could try out those same stipulations in a new environment. That's a good way to add more replay value to single player VR mode.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To be completely fair, in order to support sims you need path networks. So, an impatient person building some solo setups off the MP ones isn't a stretch.

Partial paths are a bad idea. Networks are easy enough to build anyway: set a point just inside each doorway, one to navigate any bend, and one in any corner. Subsetting based on floors or sectors makes location searches faster.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

While testing firing rates the other day, I noticed that the grenade launcher fired further in PD than it does in GE. Thankfully I was able to find where the distance was set inside the weapon function block. I also found the speed at which rockets travel. After some fine tuning, these two projectiles now much more closely match the original game. I hadn't really thought about either of them being different before, but side-by-side comparisons made it more obvious. Now those bankshots you used to love making off walls and around corners will be recreatable in GEX.

madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
While testing firing rates the other day, I noticed that the grenade launcher fired further in PD than it does in GE. Thankfully I was able to find where the distance was set inside the weapon function block. I also found the speed at which rockets travel. After some fine tuning, these two projectiles now much more closely match the original game. I hadn't really thought about either of them being different before, but side-by-side comparisons made it more obvious. Now those bankshots you used to love making off walls and around corners will be recreatable in GEX.

Throthring at the mouth.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:

Cool

Wreck I've been thinking, have you checked the time differences in GE007 and GE:X the Timed Mines and Grenades take to detonate on their own? Have you compared the detonation time differences between the original game and how they are setup in PD?

Also, Throwing Knifes bounce off walls instead of sticking onto them. Is this a possible action to recreate in GEX as well? or do you and everyone else prefer for them to stick onto walls instead? I don't mind if they stick onto them if you ask me.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm pretty sure I set the detonation times for hand grenades and timed mines early on into the project (PD was different). They're both five second fuses and should match. If I didn't have to wait over an hour for the picture tube on my one old tv to come in, it'd be easier and faster for me to test things on console side-by-side.

Knives sticking into walls. Well, I think if you disabled that, than it might also affect them sticking into characters. They bounced off of everything in GoldenEye, remember. It has never bothered me that they plunge themselves into walls. That not only makes them easier to find after you've thrown one, it also makes them seem much more deadly.

Throwing knives can be made throwable at the same rate as in GoldenEye, though I didn't set it just yet. However, hand grenades and the mines can not be. Because of the new on-screen hand and throwing animation, they won't ever be able to match up to the rate of the original game. This is a trade-off, in my opinion. While you might not be able to spam the level with them as quickly, you've got a great new first-person look at them while equipped. Being a bit slower than GE never affected PD, so I'm not concerned with that. That's why I haven't adjusted the knives at this time.

I've just received a replacement background file for Citadel which is supposed to fix the flickering shadows that you see on console. Big thanks to Sogun and SubDrag for working this stuff out. Smile

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah I see what you mean. I understand. Welp I guess this means weapons are pretty much done. There's nothing else left to point out anymore. I'm quite excited about the Grenade Launcher and Rockets new firing speeds and distances. Once Citadel has been taken care of, how much left of the new map needs to be completed? Or is it complete as we speak?

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I've just received a replacement background file for Citadel which is supposed to fix the flickering shadows that you see on console. Big thanks to Sogun and SubDrag for working this stuff out. Smile

Actually all console fixing has been done by SubDrag. I only helped him pointing some issues.
Thanks a lot for the hard work! It would have been a nightmare for me to fix all the flickering.

I wonder what surprises await us in patch 5c. Twisted Evil

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's been over two hours and nobody caught Wrecks glaring, gamebreaking error!?

In GE, thrown weapon timers--as in the time for the thing to go active or explode--differ between solo and multi. You're certainly right about them taking 5 seconds in solo, but in MP the mine and bombcase timers are set to 3 seconds.
It's set by a bunch of function pointers for each one, stowed away at 80053D3C. Possible times are 0xB4, 0xF0, and 0x12C, which are 3, 4, and 5 seconds respectively.
Code:
7F05F5D0   remote mine timer   3 sec. MP, 5 sec. solo, but NTSC doesn't enforce this
7F05F5F8:   proximity mine timer   3 sec. MP, 5 sec. solo
7F05F620:   timed mine timer   3 seconds MP, 5 solo
7F05F648:   bombcase   3 sec. MP, 5 sec. solo
7F05F670:   plastique, bug, microcamera, GE Key   1ms
7F05F67C:   default for anything within mine-gekey range   4 sec.

Tisk tisk, whatever will we do with you ;*)

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I took some time to compare PD (with a GameShark to mod values) against GE on console. Yes, it does appear as though the timed mine in multiplayer explodes more quickly than the five second amount set on it. But I'm going to avoid the modified multi timers and stick with the normal mission count.

The timed mines have a five second fuse (0x12C), and it is a perfect match with GEX. PD did originally have only four, however. The hand grenade is only supposed to be four seconds (0xF0), which is what PD also had. This is where a mistake on my part was made. I had it set to five seconds instead of four. With it's updated timer, it's nearly identical to GE. Sometimes it seemed dead on, while other times it was only a hair different. Guess there might be some other factors going on, too.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Undoubtedly. GE's multiplayer runs more slowly than PD (as in framecount), so it stands to reason that leaving the timers where they are feels more like their original times.

It was just such a good opportunity to rag on you a bit ;*)

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I never really took into consideration the time it takes for the Proximity mine to detonate when you set a mine next to your enemy and how long it takes to blow up on them until now. After testing it on GE:X and GE007 I placed my opponent near a wall and planted a proximity mine next to my opponent near the wall. In GE:X the proximity mine took 5 seconds to detonate and on GE007 with the same procedure took about 3 seconds to detonate. Not sure if you want to look into this yourself Wreck, but I believe you will see the same results as I did. I figure you might as well look into every little detail on the mines now before releasing this patch. Looks like Zoinkity's statistics on the detonation times there are really accurate. Can you change this setting for the proximity mines too? After all, I think the proximities should have a shorter fuse than the timed mines since they are supposed to instantly detonate on contact. It only makes perfect sense that they do. They are not timed.

I agree with Wreck on the throwing knives function in GEX. It does look more deadlier and they are easy to pick back up from walls and stuff. It didn't really bother me at all, I was as you would say being a bit picky about it.
As for the timed mines, I also agree with Wreck's final decision on keeping it the way it is. However, I always felt like something seemed off about the timed mines and grenades being very similar in terms of the times they detonated which is why I had to question their believability. Aside from being two different explosive weapons of course. At least now the Grenades use their original fuse time from GE which was also used in PD. Shame on you Wreck for such a mistake. jk jk jk jk Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 12 of 15

Jump to: