ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GEX 5B Official Patch Released! @ 03-01-13
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have to test to see how Simulants would react to monitors being on the floor. If they (the monitors) respawn and their collisions return, it could potentially hold a Sim in place who has run into it. I've seen this in Archives, when a metal crate has exploded, moved slightly into the center of the hall, and respawned. Eventually, if anything is destroyed enough times (sometimes even first go), it'll fall through the map and never return.

That's another concern I have with letting the rack itself be blown up. In PD, things don't respawn "properly". They shrink in size a bit, and a hanging object will move downward each time. As it keeps dropping in elevation, people will start coming into contact with it. Not only will the collisions cause you to bump into it, but it'll also start looking stupid. So, I might be willing to let the monitors fall, though the rack may remain invincible. Just another PD detail that doesn't sit well with GoldenEye stuff.

I'd have to talk with SubDrag about the animated textures, like ones used for water. He did find them in GE, and knows how to adjust them, but apparently PD did it a different way. At this time, direct porting of GE's animations to PD isn't possible. Altering the speed may be, however.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Had a chance to test out the falling monitors. When they land on the floor, and you break them enough to enable respawning, their collisions do not come back. This means that you, and Simulants, can walk right over them. Sims had no issues getting around with tvs scattered about. Also, they can inflict damage when they explode. Believe it or not, there is also a chance that they can land on your head and blow up in your face! I've died twice from shooting them down and trying to let this happen. Talk about environmental hazards. Razz

*Note: they do not return to the rack when respawning. Monitors remain on the floor in the position they fell. If destroyed enough times, they will drop out of the map and never come back.

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's great news, it should make Vr battles in the bunker a tad more interesting. Thanks for testing so quickly,

On another note, any chance well get to see the ol'e Austin Powers as a selectable character in the future? Maybe even Dr. Evil. or it might be pushing it but Fat bastard as well? Just for kicks. I remembered mentioned somewhere as a maybe.

As always great Job Wreck and the rest of the team, and do consider not getting yourselves too burnt out in this release like you did last time. You guys need to rest man, cheers!

Last edited by G14Classified on Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Surprised OH WOW COOL! You should keep it like that! It's a little different from GE007 but what the heck. Some things should be shouldn't they? Can they still explode from up the rack as well?

Hopefully you guys can at least speed up the water flow animation in Caverns. After finding out you guys added animations for it I had to drop down to the bottom catwalk and look really closely to see the animation. lol
The animation itself looks nice but should be sped up a bit. That's the last thing I ask for to be done in 5c.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe, I actually do have bodies for Austin Powers (blue and red crushed velvet versions) and Dr. Evil (grey suit) nearly finished up, but they were never intended for GEX. They were going to be for a GoldenEye 007 mod, and even features great character select pics made by 00action. The heads haven't been done, though. They're definitely the hardest part. Hopefully they wll be made sometime, as it'd be a shame to let the rest go to waste.

Yeah, I do think I'll keep the falling monitors in VR mode. It doesn't have a large impact on matches, and is just a fun little distraction that's different from the original.

I doubt we'll get a chance to modify any of the water (or scrolling type) texture animations before release - since we're hoping for this Sunday! Just trying to tackle any detail left now, like making sure clipping is fixed well enough so Turbo Mode won't send you flying over railings in VR mode. It's one thing to hop over a rail and land on solid ground, but when you end up dying, that's something to adjust.

If anybody can think of something that hasn't already been discussed here which could be addressed before Sunday, let us know. If we can work it out before then, it'll be fixed or added in. Nothing too crazy, though. Don't want to delay us for a week or longer. Smile

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Right. The only clipping I can think of where you might fall off rails is in Caves. For some reason though I feel caves should have pits cause after all it is a cave. Does that make sense? There is also a clipping issue in Egyptian in the areas with the long stairs where you can fall off and die. It's kind of hard to tell which staircase though. And also another clipping issue I have noticed but rarely get in is in Caverns. The area where the boiler engine is where you can climb up that little hill. On the hill there is an open clip some where there. Hardly ever fall into that open clip, however. And that's all I got for ya. That's all she wrote.

By the way, I know the spots where the open clips are in caves. Just in case you might want me to point out where.

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hehe, I cant wait, matches with those characters will be hilarious. I do have a question, previously you mentioned that you were gonna implement falling through crevices and pits. The only issue I have with that is on the complex, where that V shaped ramp is at.

If you look at how the sims perform especially the harder ones, these suckers can pull a 180° while running at the same direction and shooting at you without slowing down. Kind of like there is an invisible rail to keep them in place. However for the player that is a real bitch to pull off, especially in such a narrow bridge.

Seems kind of unfair, especially since it is such a vital point in the complex, but it is still a good idea to try out and see.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, I just thought I'd let you know Wreck, that I created a video with all the open clipping spots in caves and can upload it on my channel or send it to you via server link. Also just a minor detail I notice regarding the hanging monitors in GE007 the bullet impact texture sounds are different from GEX. In GEX they use the metal sound and in GE007 they use the sound you hear when you shoot at the urinals in Facility. The rack holder in GEX is using metal sounds which is correct and used in GE007 as well. Just when you shoot at the non glass part of the monitors the bullet impact texture sounds are incorrect. That's all.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
...since we're hoping for this Sunday!

Great, a release date!

I'm really pleased you've posted a release date, it makes it seem almost like it's in the palm of our hands! If at the last minute you do find a bug that you want to fix before release then we will understand, but otherwise, fingers crossed for Sunday!

Quote:

If anybody can think of something that hasn't already been discussed here which could be addressed before Sunday, let us know. If we can work it out before then, it'll be fixed or added in. Nothing too crazy, though. Don't want to delay us for a week or longer. Smile

I think this has been discussed before (and I'm not offering up as a suggestion for 5c, as I don't want to delay the release), but regarding the preset weapon sets, how many of them do you think should have armour in them? I'm no fan of armour (or PD's shield), and so I'd prefer all of the weapon presets to have no armour/shield, just be full of weapons.

I thought I'd create a poll to see if people would prefer armour to be in all of the presets, in some, or in none. But I can't create a poll, for some reason, and according to the FAQ "How do I create a poll?
Creating a poll is easy -- when you post a new topic (or edit the first post of a topic, if you have permission) you should see a Add Poll form below the main posting box. If you cannot see this then you probably do not have rights to create polls.
". Is there something I'm doing wrong ( don't get the poll option on the Post a Reply page), or do you not allow polls on the GEX board?

Anyway, it's not an important issue, mostly, as anyone who wants to can choose a preset weapons list, then add or remove armour as they choose. But it might be a worthwhile discussion for later versions of GEX.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I do prefer having weapon sets with armours. You can always edit your own custom set anyways. Wink

GE:X is based in the original setups (only minor changes are done if needed), and those had 4 weapons per set plus body armor.
If a 6th item is added in a custom set, I think that one replaces one of the 5th item spots.

That's what makes PD and GE:X awesome, the amount of customization transforms the games the way you want them to be played.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Astro: I should be familiar with the areas you can fall out of in Caves, but feel free to upload a private video and PM me a link to it. I tried again just recently to fix the spots I know of, but it always screws up Simulant navigation. Makes me wonder if they'll ever be fixable.

The texture impacts should all be updated, as I painstakingly went through the entire list one at a time. There may be the odd thing that is off, possibly with the overlay image that occurs. That's usually on secondary images, like railings or window blinds, that had impact types like metal or glass assigned to them in GoldenEye 007, but weren't actually used by the game due to bullets passing through them. I tried to properly set them, but there's bound to be some I missed.

I'd rather keep the weapon sets matching GE007 (as closely as possible with PD's new format), which means maintaining the armour. You can select the set you want to use, then switch it to Custom, and either disable the fifth slot armour, or turn it into another weapon. At least we have the option that way.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, Astro. I wasn't aware of two out of the three clipping issues you showed in the video you linked me to. They were both fairly simple to fix, and won't be a problem from 5c on. The other one, where you drop off the ledge near the body armour and walk through the wall below, has been giving me nothing but headaches. Every time I think I've fixed it, the Simulants get all stupid in the upper area. But, we're getting closer to "good" Caves clipping with each release. Damned PD Sims...

Also made sure the areas I knew of where the increased Turbo Mode would allow players to strafe over railings / walls have been fixed. Some of the other issues you guys might come across, especially in regards to ramps, stairways and inclines, should be corrected. They needed a certain flag set on them that helped prevent characters from falling through.

In Egypt, was the one stairwell you could fall out of located where you're leaving the room with the shiny pillar and heading down into the flooded area? I came across that one myself, and had to increase the room bounds on the bottom hall. It shouldn't happen there anymore. If you know of any others like that, let me know.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am glad that I could be of help to you and the project Wreck. Wow and here I was thinking after your last post that you knew all the open clipping spots. Silly me. lol
Seriously though I'm glad to hear Caves won't have that clipping issue with getting stuck inside the wall anymore. Although it was completely avoidable (sort of).

YES. In Egypt, it was one of those staircases there where it seemed the ceiling/walls were opening so when you hopped down you could potentially fall in the open clip. I also could've sworn it was on one of the ones that lead to the area with water near those staircases.
Edit: I read the Egypt part kind of fast and didn't realize you just took care of it. I believe that was the only area. The way you describe it I believe was the issue with the clipping there. I believe that is all for Egypt.

Caverns had an open clip where I mentioned before but I was trying to see if i can come into contact with it but have yet to. Maybe it was in 5a and you fixed it in 5b? Either way the one in Caverns isn't really a big threat to the matches. It's a seldom situation.

By the way, Wreck since we were on the topic of chasms before can you possibly add chasms to the bottom level of Cradle on both sides of the open rails? If you are going to add them onto Complex than Cradle should have them as well. Just my opinion.

Good job on fixing Caves. Very Happy

00action
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Hehe, I actually do have bodies for Austin Powers (blue and red crushed velvet versions) and Dr. Evil (grey suit) nearly finished up, but they were never intended for GEX. They were going to be for a GoldenEye 007 mod, and even features great character select pics made by 00action. The heads haven't been done, though. They're definitely the hardest part. Hopefully they wll be made sometime, as it'd be a shame to let the rest go to waste.

Heh i completely forgot about those character select pics, i remember seeing pictures of the Austin Powers bodies you made and seem to remember them looking realy good, would be a great bonus character Very Happy

Looking forward to seeing the falling monitors in Bunker that was one of the main features of that level so its a great addition, cant wait.
https://www.twitch.tv/00action

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Anything else anyone can think of, be sure to post it tonight or early tomorrow. I've already taken care of some issues in Caves, thanks to Astro's observations. I also removed the clipping from the lowest section of Cradle to allow falling off those edges. Fixed the text to say "An R-Launcher." when picking up a rocket launcher in 3/4-Player matches. Trying to see what else I can do before calling it.

I have the featured and article images made for GoldenEye Vault, and should be writing up the release notes soon. Hopefully by this time tomorrow night you'll all get to be playing GEX 5c, and I'll have a chance to try out my new Donkey Kong Country game. Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 14 of 15

Jump to: