ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Custom Building Maps Update
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShiftClick
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Custom Building Maps Update Reply with quote Back to top

I have successfully learned how to build custom maps from the ground up with the help of Acceptable67, SubDrag, and Sogun. If anyone else plans to start building maps, I highly suggest asking these guys if you need help with anything, they have been a great help to me. My next task will be to release an actual map, and get portals working, which shouldn't be too hard. Again thanks everyone for you help and support, and I will be releasing more levels soon! Very Happy

---
Completed Levels: Missile Facility, Research Complex, Prison, Infiltration

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good to know that you are getting the hang of it, Shiftclick!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

There are some good tutorials on the vault. I recommend taking a quick look to them to get familiar with the different parts that make a GE/PD level.
They were done many years ago, but most of the stuff remains the same. You'll only be lacking some features that will make things easier when you get to complex stuff.
Perhaps I should point out the most important tutorials or name them in order since in vault it can be a little confusing. I'll edit later.

For the most basic stuff I made a video some weeks ago. Here it is for those interested who missed it:
http://youtu.be/EYkUgX_QT_E?t=1s
I use autocad and deled, but the main idea (groups, geometry, textures...) is the same for all modellers.

If you have any doubts don't worry about starting a topic asking for help. Just try to start with something simple and move forward once you fully understand how things are done. Wink

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As for the modeling tools, is it possible to use Google SketchUp for the levels as well? I know that there is an .obj exporter plugin for Sketchup.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sketchup can work but you need to name groups correctly and use my obj2an8 tool or manually fix obj group names.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've never used any of such tools, I'm just looking for the easiest one to possibly use hahaha.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PaRaDoX wrote:
As for the modeling tools, is it possible to use Google SketchUp for the levels as well? I know that there is an .obj exporter plugin for Sketchup.

Yes, but I've heard there's a slight bug exporting the objects (subdrag?)

As for renaming groups - you can put in DeleD for instance, merge if necessary then rename via the left panel then re-export OBJ.

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I once thought of trying to work with these modelling tools and make my own custom map, but then I realized, I would need to do clipping and I don't understand a thing of that tutorial...maybe I'll retry it some day, but I'm sure it will take me "a while" (1000 years Very Happy ) if I start with it now...
Lucky enough, there are guys here who DO understand it Smile , so I'll see. You have to take on challenges if you want to complete something Smile

acceptable67

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SilverEye wrote:
I once thought of trying to work with these modelling tools and make my own custom map, but then I realized, I would need to do clipping and I don't understand a thing of that tutorial...maybe I'll retry it some day, but I'm sure it will take me "a while" (1000 years Very Happy ) if I start with it now...
Lucky enough, there are guys here who DO understand it Smile , so I'll see. You have to take on challenges if you want to complete something Smile

Well... You don't HAVE to do clipping, if you're lucky the modeller will generate it for you, but GE is pretty anal about it's clipping so, if that's the game you're working on, you probably might. I think you can click "Redo clipping connections" and it will fix clipping for you in editor.

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

seems that SketchUp is one of the most easy to use modelers for a beginner, I also had a demo once "3DS max studio" for one month (I find this program a free version) and another program is also easy to used even turn someone has to explain basic functions of this program or not be so easy, in this program seems very variadasy functions that never come to know at all.

I started with Sketchup because I have a low level of English and at least have this program in Spanish language, so if you want to model this is the easiest program for that. the difficulties that you'll find are the import or export plugins plugins or converters to other formats that are suitable for GEeditor. Also you get to tweak your level Scketchup probably another modeler.

if anyone has managed to make a level using only Sketchup GE and GEeditor, appreciate that report and especially if you have to inform search plugins or external recuersos.

by the way I miss new years goldeneyevault tutorials, especially because as said Sogun are after something old and more for these times.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've used Sketchup successfully for a team member on gf64. No plugins but you need the pro version to export obj. You're right that the tutorials are a little out of date. I will have to make new ones since I have learned a lot more since then.

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The pro version, huh? Well I've tried to work with Sketchup and that was quite easy, but this pro version you're speaking of, it won't be free I think. So you would NEED sketchup "pro" if you want to use the file in GE, and normal sketchup doesn't support that? mmh I will search if I can get more info about this pro version..

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sadly free versionccan't export obj. Maybe can do the collada through blender but not sure it will work well.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There's an OBJ exporter plugin for free Sketchup but the obj files aren't compatible with Editor.

However, you can import that obj to deled and after some fixes, reexport as a compatible obj. It's a complicated process but it works.
Heh, perhaps it's easier to learn how to model in deled, but I think Sketchup is more flexible.

Here's the OBJ exporter plugin:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4b2p28lhdd8lhvr

And here's my explanation about the process (Starting from "-> Pasar de Sketchup al Editor mediante Deled").
Sadly it's in Spanish and it's very long. I'll try to translate it later.
http://www.shootersforever.com/forums_message_boards/viewtopic.php?p=50875#50875

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PaRaDoX wrote:
I know that there is an .obj exporter plugin for Sketchup.

Sogun wrote:
There's an OBJ exporter plugin for free Sketchup but the obj files aren't compatible with Editor.

Seems that nobody noticed that I already said that there is an OBJ exporter plugin for it xD

I'll see if I can get my hands on Sketchup soon enough.Maybe not, since I am rather busy.

EDIT: Decided to download it now. I'll fool around with it soon enough xD

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well I have the free version of Sketchup. anyway anyone know if the Pro version of the plugins are compatible with the free version of Sketchup? if the plugin version is compatible with GE Pro, perhaps we can draw from this version for free version. I once saw on the page that some plugins Sketchup Pro version can run on the free version if not all do. I suppose there may be some plugin as this program is used by the community of Super Mario 64.

I think skectchup-Pro has separate import and export plugins for many fotrmatos including "Autocad" and "Studio-3ds-max".
utilmo not know if this can be an advantage if you have a file "VRML" extracted from some N64 game and then can manipulate in Skectchup.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: