ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Simulant Code?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kariko
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Simulant Code? Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knows where in the game the code for the simulant AI is located? I wanted to toy around with it to see what happens. I guess to experiment Twisted Evil . Anyone know if it's possible or where it is?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I must admit, not sure. I think the best way to hack, is to breakpoint on the type of simulant set (of the settings) - CheetahSim, etc, and see what switch statement (set of TLB jump registers) it has. Shouldn't be too hard to locate those routines that at least deal with those special ones - and maybe lead to AI in general.

kariko
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm...um..what does that mean exactly? Embarassed

Well I used the magic of Google to learn what a breakpoint is, and now I realize I've done that before using the console gameshark (I think? It's where the game paused and you could see the code all over the screen right?) but is it possible to do that in an emulator, specifically PJ64? and if not, where can I go about maybe...looking at the code and just "adding cheats" to replace specific lines?

I think I need to learn more about the actual game code and how it works because I'm looking at the preset codes and it doesn't really help... Confused but would my idea maybe work? Sorry for so many questions, I feel really excited to try it, I just don't know where to start.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You should use the nemu emulator, it lets you breakpoint, and see registers and memory.

kariko
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm...is there someplace where I can learn about the N64 code? There's so much numbers and letters and things, I'm afraid I won't be able to do this very well with my current knowledge of it, which isn't much. I downloaded Nemu64 and I'm looking at the code but I'm unsure what I'm looking at/doing, hehe. Confused

EDIT: I think I might not be able to do this. Sad

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah you don't get a nice C++ set of functions, it's mips assembly code.

kariko
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah crap. I'm going to learn C++ soon, but I know hardly anything about it at the moment. And I assume mips assembly is even harder then, for me. Ah well. I can still toy around with the Editor. Razz Maybe after I learn more about C++ and programming in general I'll have a better understanding.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it is really confusing stuff. Well, breakpointing atleast to find addresses/offsets. I personally don't even know how to do it yet... SubDrag just assumes you know all Wink

You should have a lot of background knowledge about the game and how it functions before ever diving into something like this.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

See hacking tutorials at therwp.com MIPS it's good to know C++ well, so you know how it goes where.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest, I'd imagine that the artificial intelligence routines are not going to be something a new(-ish) programmer would find easy to Understand. Especially on the N64, and not just because the N64 is (so I've heard) complicated to program, but because the AI routines will be programmed as efficiently (in memory terms) as possible, to save space on the cartridge and in the N64's memory, which will make the routines even harder for a beginner to understand.

I really *really* wish Rare would release the source code to their games, as id Software, 3D Realms, and very few others have done. Probably never happen, but we can dream.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: