ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Which three levels would you have put into Perfect Dark?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Which three levels would you have put into Perfect Dark? Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure if I should post this in the PD or the GE forums, so I'll post it here. I mention in another thread that I don't much like the GE map Facility, even though *lots* of people (the vast majority, from what I can see) think it's very good. I prefer it to Caves and Caverns, but to me it's not a great map. I don't actively dislike it, I suppose (those feelings I save for Caves, and Perfect Dark's Car Park, and Fortress), but it's far from my favourite, and if I'd have been asked to choose what three GE maps to put into Perfect Dark, I'd have said;

- Temple (fantastic map, probably my favourite in Goldeneye),
- Egyptian (very good),
- Complex (probably, though I might have gone with Archives, but probably Complex). I would have asked if we could have included four instead of three, and so hopefully we'd have both Complex and Archives in PD if I'd been in charge!

So what three Goldeneye maps would you have put into PD if you'd have been given the choice? And yes, no doubt most people will include Facility in their choices!

acceptable67

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Bunker, I think that would be pretty cool to be honest, very narrow and quite big.

That Moonraker level, Aztec is it? Perhaps it doesn't fit in with the theme, but it's an open and slightly complex map.

St. Petersburg Streets. The fact that it is a city makes it a very nice environment to have a firefight in. I suspect many of doors for each buildings that are normally just a polygon with a door texture over, can be modded to have an actual interior (Yes, it's possible)

Now that we've had the Setup Editor, it's nice to know these types of things are plausible and possible.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My top 3 GE maps are:
1- Complex (there's no safe spot here)
2- Basement (very good design but narrow corridors)
3- Bunker (wide corridors and big rooms, but only up to 3 players)

following
4- Facility (small level, lots of action, resist in the bathroom!)
5- Archives (narrow corridors but secret passages)
6- Caves (small level, black camouflage)
-------------
7- Egyptian (too big for just 2 players)
8- Temple (I always get lost in this one)
9- Library (too big and confusing even for 4 players)
10- Cavern (meh, very long corridors)
11- Stack (horrible, but secret passages)
Citadel would be 6, between Archives and Caves.

If you think about the new PD features (8 sims, hills, capture the case...), they demand big maps to be more enjoyable, so a map like Facility might not be the best for that. You can check in GE:X what maps work better.

It's really hard to make maps that can fulfill all the possibilities from a 1vs1 deathmatch to a 4 players + 8 sims capture the case match. Like someone said before, PD is a game about possibilites and not about balance: give the player a lot of maps with different sizes instead of a few ones that might be good for all scenarios so the players are able to balance the game themselves. Same with weapons.

So you have Felicity for small deathmaches (or crazy slaughter), Complex as a balanced map, and Temple as the big and confusing option. Also, the PD remakes have some improvements from their GE versions.

Heh, Fortress is my favourite map to play Capture the case against other 3 teams. I dislike Car Park a lot, but not as much as I hate Ravine. Evil or Very Mad

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

acceptable67 wrote:
    Bunker, I think that would be pretty cool to be honest, very narrow and quite big.

That Moonraker level, Aztec is it? Perhaps it doesn't fit in with the theme, but it's an open and slightly complex map.

St. Petersburg Streets. The fact that it is a city makes it a very nice environment to have a firefight in. I suspect many of doors for each buildings that are normally just a polygon with a door texture over, can be modded to have an actual interior (Yes, it's possible)

Now that we've had the Setup Editor, it's nice to know these types of things are plausible and possible.

Now that would be interesting! Streets and Aztec would be interesting to play through. I'm not sure they'd make good multilayer maps, but it'd be interesting to try.

Sogun wrote:
If you think about the new PD features (8 sims, hills, capture the case...), they demand big maps to be more enjoyable, so a map like Facility might not be the best for that. You can check in GE:X what maps work better.

That's a good point. For small deathmatches in PD I usually use either G5 or Grid.

Quote:

It's really hard to make maps that can fulfill all the possibilities from a 1vs1 deathmatch to a 4 players + 8 sims capture the case match. Like someone said before, PD is a game about possibilites and not about balance: give the player a lot of maps with different sizes instead of a few ones that might be good for all scenarios so the players are able to balance the game themselves. Same with weapons.

Yes, I really, *really* admire Rare's attitude of "Let the player decide" that they put into almost every aspect of PD's multiplayer. Even down to the option to have high/low resolution graphics, for if the player(s) could put up with the slowdown brought by the extra graphical processing. I can't put into words how much I wish all other games had the same "The player decided the rules" attitude put into them by the software houses.

Quote:

So you have Felicity for small deathmaches (or crazy slaughter), Complex as a balanced map, and Temple as the big and confusing option. Also, the PD remakes have some improvements from their GE versions.

Heh, Fortress is my favourite map to play Capture the case against other 3 teams. I dislike Car Park a lot, but not as much as I hate Ravine. Evil or Very Mad

Yes, I can see that Fortress would be good for four player Capture the Case, but I've never played that (I almost never got people to play PD against, many of my mates loved Goldeneye, but for some reason PD's multiplayer didn't grab them), and I don't play four player Capture the Case against sims as I always think a good CtC game needs at least three (more like four or more) people (humans or sims) on each team.

For other game types, I don't know, I just don't like Fortress. Maybe if

(a) the top levels were blocked off from each other, so if you were on the top level on one side, you couldn't go to the top level of another side unless you went down and through the middle (open area) section, and

(b) the middle (open area) section was either a full, solid floor (instead of the vaguely cross shaped style with the fall-off areas) or had more walkways through it so you didn't have to meet anyone coming in the opposite direction,

then perhaps I'd like it more, especially if then the CtC bases were on the top levels of the map.

I love Ravine, it's one of my favourite maps in PD. Me versus eight sims, three or four teams (I'm always on my own, that way I can shoot anyone without accidentally shooting someone on my team), and maybe a Rocket Launcher or Slayer amongst the other weapons, brilliant!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Seeing as Rare gave a makeover to all of the GoldenEye classic maps in Perfect Dark, you would have to imagine the possibilities of other levels using this same process. With that in mind, these are my choices...

Caverns.
Just picture it, instead of being a subterranean cave, it's the insides of a Skedar ship. Cold metal structures instead of rocky walls, glowing liquid instead of dark water, and windows the peer out into space.

Bunker.
Now more closely resembling the underground labs deep beneath the Lucerne Tower, you find many of the doors to be automated. The air is very fresh, as the base is hidden in the middle of a dense forest. Even the water is straight from a spring located outside.

Library.
Borrowing a texture scheme from Air Base, and featuring new lifts to quickly get players from one area to another. There would also be some railings along the catwalks, to improve Simulant navigation around the top of the stack. Think slick and shiney.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Frigate level since it was put in GEX I found one of the best levels, it may be of narrow corridors, but the racks or the narrow door openings serve as places to target or hide in a corner behind them if someone after you, also has 4 rooms I think.

one of the best I see levels that can be included in GEX is Control, 3 floors, large areas and wide aisles a bit more besides elevators and metal containers stacked at the end of the level.

SilverEye
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing. I actually don't like perfect dark to be honest Embarassed
but yeah, I can imagine the possibilities to make a Goldeneye level look even greater...so...if I really need to say something...
bunker indeed would look great I think Smile

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Seeing as Rare gave a makeover to all of the GoldenEye classic maps in Perfect Dark, you would have to imagine the possibilities of other levels using this same process. With that in mind, these are my choices...

Caverns.
Just picture it, instead of being a subterranean cave, it's the insides of a Skedar ship. Cold metal structures instead of rocky walls, glowing liquid instead of dark water, and windows the peer out into space.

Bunker.
Now more closely resembling the underground labs deep beneath the Lucerne Tower, you find many of the doors to be automated. The air is very fresh, as the base is hidden in the middle of a dense forest. Even the water is straight from a spring located outside.

Library.
Borrowing a texture scheme from Air Base, and featuring new lifts to quickly get players from one area to another. There would also be some railings along the catwalks, to improve Simulant navigation around the top of the stack. Think slick and shiney.

ATTACK SHIP, CRASH SITE, and DEEP SEA!!!!

I LOVE THIS IDEA DEEP SEA with ALL sections connected together I think woulld be EPIC The textures and design of this level along with the music track made me fall in love with Perfect Dark Same for Crash Site That map is just AMAZING It's BIG I know but CRASH SITE has so many different areas and the ice caves I think are NEAT!!! As for ATTACK SHIP.... man this map is INCREDIBLE if you play ALL of it The different sections really pull you into the game and give you an amazing surreal experience Great gameplay!!!

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Come to think of it Reply with quote Back to top

I tell you what I would LOVE to see. A LAN version of Perfect Dark with ALL multis. Take away split screen and integrate this amazing game into an open source port like Counter Strike Source OR use the Vietcong engine since you don't have to use stupid authorization sh*t like STEAM just to play your friends at home. Just IMAGINE.. Perfect Dark in multiplayer online with your own screen NO SPLIT in Attack Ship or Deep Sea Wink Love to see someone do this for GOLDENEYE too

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Valve is just shiiiiiiiiiiiiiite (and I been on since 9/20/03 , free of charge), and CS is just a mod. P is just a mod. L4D is just a mod.

Splitscreen ain't no breaker.. just get bigger screen/res playa ham

HackBond

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:
Valve is just shiiiiiiiiiiiiiite (and I been on since 9/20/03 , free of charge), and CS is just a mod. P is just a mod. L4D is just a mod.

Splitscreen ain't no breaker.. just get bigger screen/res playa ham

lolwut?

DOD, TF and CS are mods, and Valve decided to hire the teams behind them and sell those games. Portal isn't a mod, they hired a freaking university team who were making something similar on a different engine to create Portal on Source. L4D isn't a mod either, it furthered the development of the Source Engine with the AI Director and several other enhancements to the engine. It uses a different SDK compared to Portal 2 and the previous gen games (HL2 etc).

EDIT: also, by your logic, COD is a mod of Quake.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

Maxout

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not everyone knows you can unlock the classic levels by beating challenges/simulants etc.

Someone here created 'the office'.

What about 'the garden'?

And any other man-made structure?

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lol. Wow it's INCREDIBLE how people have such a BROAD view of what they think a great game would be. No wonder game companies have no VISION left because we can't make up our mind what we want in a game and argue points that honestly make no sense. COPY the f*cking game exactly and put it in a higher end game engine. Holy sh*t is it really that hard to understand? Wink What is so wrong with NOT being able to see where the other players are coming from and remove the splitscreen. I don't understand why anyone would even think of arguing the fact that a LAN / MMO version of an EXACT copy of Goldeneye and Perfect Dark wouldn't be incredible. Shocked

Maxout

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That proves we like limitations. The energizer battery is only for the energizer bunny.

We all also understand that if there is a good idea in our minds we don't want to simply 'give' it out. Wink

http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: