ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldeneye X v5b is not mentioned or downloadable on Moddb!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Goldeneye X v5b is not mentioned or downloadable on Moddb! Reply with quote Back to top

I've just noticed that Moddb still only has v5a of Goldeneye X for download, with no mention of 5b at all. Anyone who only visits Moddb probably doesn't even know that v5b exists;

http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-x/downloads

though of course v5b is available, as it should be, from the Goldeneye Vault;

http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=202

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I didn't get around to updating either ModDB or RHDN, yet. I will sometime, though.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Goldeneye X v5b is not mentioned or downloadable on Modd Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:
I've just noticed that Moddb still only has v5a of Goldeneye X for download, with no mention of 5b at all. Anyone who only visits Moddb probably doesn't even know that v5b exists;

http://www.moddb.com/mods/goldeneye-x/downloads

though of course v5b is available, as it should be, from the Goldeneye Vault;

http://www.goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=202

I honestly am starting to dislike that site a little bit. They took down a Knights of the Force Mod one time claiming it has viruses etc. Of course that's complete bullsh*t because it just has bugs working in runtimes, directx stuff, and different service pack issues. It's WINDOWS fault not the MOD and DUMB people were blaming his MOD instead of the source. Jedi Academy was a great game but it did have all kinds of programming and coding issues. It would crash at the slightest windows update, etc This is why when you make a game you try your DAMNEDEST to create it to run as INDEPENDENTLY as possible from it's own files. Damn ....sorry I don't know why I wrote a book replying to this thread Wink Very Happy

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

They had a problem of people hacking their server and embedding viruses in downloads. It may have been unlucky.

There's also a field of mods now that will set off false positives in virus scanners due to the way they hooked their code into the original executables. One big offender is the old tactic of hooking an executable to boot code in a separate external dll or exe.

Chances are it was the second case and not the first.

Oh, and part of the problem with that game is they used some very low-level tricks (like coding things in assembly to look at ports at a hardware level) that generally were blocked with later MS updates. In general it was an issue with the era itself. Netplay became popular, but there wasn't one absolute standard, you had a lot of incompatible hardware, libraries (when available) had their own issues and questionable support, and direct hardware access became blocked shortly after. Direct port access isn't permitted nowadays at all in any modern OS.

Hacked exes can't take advantage of the compatibility settings already secretly provided by MS. It's done primarily by filename but I believe they also use hashes now. Just like 'compatibility mode', this is applying settings to get around issues present in the code or dependancies that were implied but must now be explicit (like directX, another problem with the era). This dates back all the way to win95, when Borland's compilers were spitting out code that wasn't to specification but ran anyway on earlier systems. There's still fixes present for things like Turbo Tax 95 that did that. Not MS's fault, but some bad code that wasn't compatible with more strict rule enforcement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: