ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

**Official Release** PDE Part 2 : Landing Zone Trilogy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The mod has been tested and works perfectly on PJ64. Any other device may need tweaking in graphics settings,etc. If nothing works you can try it out on pc of choice in PJ64. Sorry for your Everdrive issue Sad. It is most likely something in the firmware of the Everdrive. I would bug them to release a patch to fix it. $300 and they still can't promise it works with everything. Shame shame. I wouldn't allow my product to cost that much if that was the issue. Maybe $100 until I could tweak it to 100% efficiency

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A buck thirty five ($135) *** tops I thought

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's definitely an issue with the ROM due to misemulation (the not-crashing is the emulator bug). Heh I've never seen an actual issue with the console, ED64 is close enough to running a real cart. There can be a lot of reasons for crashes unfortunately, pad over bad spot, bad clipping, etc.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MultiplayerX wrote:
The mod has been tested and works perfectly on PJ64. Any other device may need tweaking in graphics settings,etc. If nothing works you can try it out on pc of choice in PJ64. Sorry for your Everdrive issue Sad. It is most likely something in the firmware of the Everdrive. I would bug them to release a patch to fix it. $300 and they still can't promise it works with everything. Shame shame. I wouldn't allow my product to cost that much if that was the issue. Maybe $100 until I could tweak it to 100% efficiency

SubDrag wrote:
It's definitely an issue with the ROM due to misemulation (the not-crashing is the emulator bug). Heh I've never seen an actual issue with the console, ED64 is close enough to running a real cart. There can be a lot of reasons for crashes unfortunately, pad over bad spot, bad clipping, etc.

What SubDrag says ties in with what Krikzz (who makes the Everdrives), Chilly Willy (who wrote the Gameshark emulation for the Everdrive 64), etc, have said, that any such incompatibilities (where something runs on an emulator, but crashes on a real N64 + Ed64) are down to the game/mod having an error that goes unnoticed by the (currently less than very accurate) emulators but that causes a real N64 to choke. It's like that for many Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time mods/levels, since the editors used to make them were written and tested only on the emulators. When CEN64 or the N64 part of MESS become properly usable then such mods can be tested on those two properly accurate emulators, to see if they'd work on a real N64.

By the way, I've never seen the Everdrive 64 for more than about $180 - my own cost £108 (one hundred and eight pounds) including everything (boot chip, cartridge case, 8GB SD Card, and post + packaging), and I can't recommend it highly enough. Just being able to play all of your N64 games from one cartridge is good enough, but the ED64 also allows you to play all regions of games, plus game mods and unreleased games, which is utterly fantastic! Also, since you save and load to the SD Card (for games that save/load to their own cartridge I mean - sadly the games that save/load to controller pak still need a controller pak) then you don't have to worry about the batteries failing in the cartridge. Plus you can back up or restore the saves to the SC Card from a PC. Still, the Everdrive 64 does allow you to backup/restore the controller pak to a file on the SD Card, so you can then back them up to your PC too if you like.

I'd definitely recommend an Everdrive 64 to any N64 fan.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon wrote:
MultiplayerX wrote:

SubDrag wrote:

What SubDrag says ties in with what Krikzz (who makes the Everdrives), Chilly Willy (who wrote the Gameshark emulation for the Everdrive 64), etc, have said, that any such incompatibilities (where something runs on an emulator, but crashes on a real N64 + Ed64) are down to the game/mod having an error that goes unnoticed by the (currently less than very accurate) emulators but that causes a real N64 to choke. It's like that for many Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time mods/levels, since the editors used to make them were written and tested only on the emulators. When CEN64 or the N64 part of MESS become properly usable then such mods can be tested on those two properly accurate emulators, to see if they'd work on a real N64.

By the way, I've never seen the Everdrive 64 for more than about $180 - my own cost £108 (one hundred and eight pounds) including everything (boot chip, cartridge case, 8GB SD Card, and post + packaging), and I can't recommend it highly enough. Just being able to play all of your N64 games from one cartridge is good enough, but the ED64 also allows you to play all regions of games, plus game mods and unreleased games, which is utterly fantastic! Also, since you save and load to the SD Card (for games that save/load to their own cartridge I mean - sadly the games that save/load to controller pak still need a controller pak) then you don't have to worry about the batteries failing in the cartridge. Plus you can back up or restore the saves to the SC Card from a PC. Still, the Everdrive 64 does allow you to backup/restore the controller pak to a file on the SD Card, so you can then back them up to your PC too if you like.

I'd definitely recommend an Everdrive 64 to any N64 fan.

Like anything.... The editor is constantly being updated by Subdrag. If it's a clipping or preset issue that's something SOFTWARE related and is not my fault FYI. Wink I just use the thing. Sub makes...I use He he Laughing

SOLUTION: If you really want to play this mod I HIGHLY suggest you weigh your options and setup something between your pc and uuuummmm tv, etc. I personally understand your pain however I have a lot of games that only work with STEAM or some other bs glitch we all have to deal with :'( Maybe you could message Everdrive to program a PJ64 emulation patch so it's less touchy about what the game loads. Loading errors are generally SCRIPTING inaccuracies in game code that can actually be rewritten to overlook silly little things etc etc... Just an idea Multi X

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Basically there are 3 reasons why a hack doesn't work (on console):
-Hardware's fault. Ffor example, while playing Animal Forest through the Everdrive 64 you can't save because the ED64 lacks an internal watch. Or how Banjo Tooie and other Rare games didn't work because the ED64 didn't have the right CIC.
-Software's fault. The creators of the tools were ok having them working on a certain emulator and didn't bother testing on console, because it's probably a lot easier to code and you aren't constrained by original hardware limitations for the hacks. That's what happens with most Mario 64 and Zelda hacks.
-User's fault. Even if the Editor works perfectly something the user did or didn't do may cause issues. Like texture corruption and/or blackouts in GE because allocations aren't set correctly; or the level doesn't even load because there's a texture that exceeds the limit or bad setup; portal issues because mismatching Room/Clipping #s or portal misplacement; clipping exits because vertices of tiles don't share same coords; etc... Sometimes even if the user is very careful he/she can't track the issue and has to redo that part, making it work magically. Shocked

While doing GE/PD maps I don't remember having an error that was the Editor's fault. There was always a way to fix it.
Of course the Editor has its flaws. But those are some annoying random crashes or features that SubDrag breaks when adding new features, hehe. Razz

I'll try the hack myself to see if I'm having the same issues as Kerr Avon. I'm a PAL user too. Has anyone tried this on a NTSC TV?

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sogun wrote:
Basically there are 3 reasons why a hack doesn't work (on console):
-Hardware's fault. Ffor example, while playing Animal Forest through the Everdrive 64 you can't save because the ED64 lacks an internal watch. Or how Banjo Tooie and other Rare games didn't work because the ED64 didn't have the right CIC.
-Software's fault. The creators of the tools were ok having them working on a certain emulator and didn't bother testing on console, because it's probably a lot easier to code and you aren't constrained by original hardware limitations for the hacks. That's what happens with most Mario 64 and Zelda hacks.
-User's fault. Even if the Editor works perfectly something the user did or didn't do may cause issues. Like texture corruption and/or blackouts in GE because allocations aren't set correctly; or the level doesn't even load because there's a texture that exceeds the limit or bad setup; portal issues because mismatching Room/Clipping #s or portal misplacement; clipping exits because vertices of tiles don't share same coords; etc... Sometimes even if the user is very careful he/she can't track the issue and has to redo that part, making it work magically. Shocked

While doing GE/PD maps I don't remember having an error that was the Editor's fault. There was always a way to fix it.
Of course the Editor has its flaws. But those are some annoying random crashes or features that SubDrag breaks when adding new features, hehe. Razz

I'll try the hack myself to see if I'm having the same issues as Kerr Avon. I'm a PAL user too. Has anyone tried this on a NTSC TV?

There is also the issue where IF someone had the time to teach methods of repairing a sloppy hack etc they could make them better Wink Which I admit I have no idea how to correct some things however I would love to one day polish my mods Laughing

**NOTE** Like I've said in the past: If you really don't like it DOWNLOAD THE EDITOR and save the binaries from stage options and go for it. It's not hard to get them so be my guest. I would love to stand back and let someone else slam out this stuff and have it work better. It's obviously STILL a lot of sh*t talk and whining because most of the people complaining about the mods do NOTHING to uuuuummmmmm HELP. Wink
SERIOUSLY people we need more hackers and I'm about to run out of time again with school and other stuff. Laughing Cool

TAKING APPLICATIONS FOR MODDERS. PM Subdrag with your questions. I'm about to have to take a THIRD retirement again until life has nothing happening.

Multi

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's admittedly very difficult, but I did put a checklist of at least an idea of what you can try and do to localize the problem, in my tutorial on converting obj. But if you don't have an ED64, you can't really test the fix. It's very difficult to identify every last thing that can crash...there are so many, though I've hit most of them at this point.

 Back up all your data  Start over  Add textures to ROM  Load ROM, ensure ROM works (issue is textures in ROM)  Convert obj to bgfile using the textures file  File -> New for setup file  Delete all Portals  Delete all Clipping  Delete all Visibility  Delete all Lighting (Perfect Dark Only)  Export bgfile  Make one clipping tile on floor  Make one preset/pad and make it a start point over the clipping tile  Load ROM, ensure level works (issue is bgfile or textures). If you die immediately in PD as it loads, raise up the start point pad to above the clipping and try again.  Reimport clipping  Load ROM, ensure level works (issue is clipping)  Reopen setup file  Load ROM, ensure level works (issue is clipping)  If fails, there are many issues that can occur but here’s a Standard procedure to figure out what
i. Delete all action blocks and test (infinite loop? Click check syntax and go through blocks) ii. Delete all objectives and test (is a text in briefing is wrong level’s digit – does it crash before loading level, in briefing?) iii. Delete objects, group at a time (which ones wrong) iv. If still wrong, may be a bad pad/preset

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have tried both the patches of the Aviation Trilogy (with and without engine sounds) and I have the same issues as Kerr Avon:
-Airforce One X works fine
-Maian StarCruiser and Skedar Warship have a black screen. I can hear the level music playing but no the engine sounds.

I also tried the roms on emu (Project 64 v1.6) and those levels didn't work either. The screen freezes en the Combat Simulator screen and I can hear the level music but not the engines.
What emulator has these patches working?

I took a look to the binaries in Editor (just the no-sound patch) and this makes even less sense, heh.
Setups seems to be ok, at least background, clipping and setup match (my first guess was that setups got mixed up).
-But in Air Force One all I see are unset presets and some guards Question, there are no start points Exclamation So how does this even work? Am I looking at the wrong level? (1D - Air Force One).
-Maian StarCruiser (08 - Crash Site) looks fine at first glance, with all presets set as weapons, ammo and it has 8 start points.
-Skedar Warship (20 - Attack Ship) it's similar to AFO. A lot of unset presets but no guards and only 2 start points.

I have no idea why AFO works at all (are guards acting as start points?) and I would have thought Maian StarCruiser would work properly. Even Skedar Warship should be playable although no guns. :S

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sogun wrote:
I have tried both the patches of the Aviation Trilogy (with and without engine sounds) and I have the same issues as Kerr Avon:
-Airforce One X works fine
-Maian StarCruiser and Skedar Warship have a black screen. I can hear the level music playing but no the engine sounds.

I also tried the roms on emu (Project 64 v1.6) and those levels didn't work either. The screen freezes en the Combat Simulator screen and I can hear the level music but not the engines.
What emulator has these patches working?

I took a look to the binaries in Editor (just the no-sound patch) and this makes even less sense, heh.
Setups seems to be ok, at least background, clipping and setup match (my first guess was that setups got mixed up).
-But in Air Force One all I see are unset presets and some guards Question, there are no start points Exclamation So how does this even work? Am I looking at the wrong level? (1D - Air Force One).
-Maian StarCruiser (08 - Crash Site) looks fine at first glance, with all presets set as weapons, ammo and it has 8 start points.
-Skedar Warship (20 - Attack Ship) it's similar to AFO. A lot of unset presets but no guards and only 2 start points.

I have no idea why AFO works at all (are guards acting as start points?) and I would have thought Maian StarCruiser would work properly. Even Skedar Warship should be playable although no guns. :S

So I honestly have no idea. Maybe you can fix it. I know that it works fine on my system and you have to make sure rom settings in PJ64 are set so it sees the expansion pack. Sub posted it to vault so I am clueless. If you'll PM me maybe WHEN I HAVE TIME can have you teach me how you tweak your mods. This particular release conatins MODELS as ONE ROOM so there's no telling how BETA the editor may not get everything just right. All I know is what I can get working Laughing . This is an issue I think is CONCERN enough to remove it off vault if it's simply not working so I'll PM Sub to look into it.

**NOTE** It just occured to me it could be the video plugin. GLIDE may be malfunctioning with the hack. TRY AGAIN using JABOS's default and make sure to set your ROM settings per VAULT's recommended for Perfect Dark.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest, I'm totally clueless.

I have no idea how Air Force One even works since I don't see any start points at all.

I remember I had an issue in Kakariko PD version regarding the start point presets. I had to delete them, place them again and then it worked. It seems some preset wasn't on any clipping tile or something like that.
But I don't remember if the level crashed while loading, if it was a black screen with music like it's happening to yours, if I could play it if luckily avoided the problematic preset... All I remember is it was a very big issue.
I can't find any info about that in my PMs. That was a long time ago (3 years!!)

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sogun wrote:
To be honest, I'm totally clueless.

I have no idea how Air Force One even works since I don't see any start points at all.

I remember I had an issue in Kakariko PD version regarding the start point presets. I had to delete them, place them again and then it worked. It seems some preset wasn't on any clipping tile or something like that.
But I don't remember if the level crashed while loading, if it was a black screen with music like it's happening to yours, if I could play it if luckily avoided the problematic preset... All I remember is it was a very big issue.
I can't find any info about that in my PMs. That was a long time ago (3 years!!)

SO I bet that's it!!! Honestly ALL of these levels are absolutely WACKY with the presets GROUNDING to the clipping. They appear to be sitting correctly on the clipping but I'd bet that's an issue too. I had been working on PELAGIC II this past week placing a scaled version of the sub beside the ship. Here's what's weird.....

If you look at Pelagic II in the editor in ROOM POSITIONS mode you will notice the rooms and clipping file room ID'S are ALL off by ONE. It makes absolutely no sense because the levels normal clipping doesn't even match the room #'s. Perhaps Sub has future plans to work on this but like he's stated before the editor still doesn't do some things very well. CLIPPING is one of the main things. Crying or Very sad But maybe that's why ole Sogun found shooters and vault so he can figure some stuff out and ADD to the LEGEND and bring more features to the editor for all of us with Subdrag tweaking the beast Wink Laughing

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: One more level to complete this edition Reply with quote Back to top

This is the last edition for PDE Extended until I figure out where I want to go next. Rey and I had discussed teaming up back on GE to start on some other custom additions to SOLO MULTIS. Some ideas I had in my head for DAM and SILO in some areas not accessible. Wink. Probably focus on fixing the weather selector inbetween now that I know more on how the action blocks work.

New levels: PELAGIC III will be part of a pack called THE LANDING ZONE. The Manta Ray submarine has been scaled MUCH larger and docked beside Pelagics main deck

CARRINGTON CARGO has a drop ship on the side of one of the mountain tops and is accessible to walk on and drop inside of. Clipping to the mountain path is still in progress to climb up and down several of the mountains sides to get up and down from it.

Maian UFO has not been started but will be the saucer hovering over the dunes like Independence Day. Portals I'm sure will be a pain so please bare with me while I finish it.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've just tried to download the new uploade in the first post (szcbddbnkqcs.zip) but I just get a file not found error message. Also, why is the file called "szcbddbnkqcs.zip"?

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think I deleted it. It's OFFICIALLY on VAULT here:

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=290

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Carrington's Hacker Central All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: