ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Best Buy GoldenEye video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Best Buy GoldenEye video Reply with quote Back to top

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQU5sr5d1yY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

It's rare but betas I haven't seen exist! Beta aimer and guard types. Too bad not longer.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Seriously, how can all of these beta videos exist and yet none of the cartridges or files used to create them have shown up? It's actually something that keeps me awake at night.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nothing really beta here besides those 2 things though :/
Still good to see a "new" video. Maybe there are more out there.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Seems like
A) Doors gone in retail
B) Guard has suit?
C) Wrong guard outside and when looking back in, and he's not outside in retail

I couldn't see the island...but it's probably there.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Honestly seems too good to be true. The crosshair, alarms, and doors are all known through hacking, the suit from that one screenshot. The logo overlays are really low quality and the footage doesn't look like it was transferred from VHS.

Hope I'm wrong, but this just reminds me of the Beta Conversion hack (I forget if it had these exact changes or not). In fact the glitchy tracers really make this look like emulator footage.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
Honestly seems too good to be true. The crosshair, alarms, and doors are all known through hacking, the suit from that one screenshot. The logo overlays are really low quality and the footage doesn't look like it was transferred from VHS.

Hope I'm wrong, but this just reminds me of the Beta Conversion hack (I forget if it had these exact changes or not). In fact the glitchy tracers really make this look like emulator footage.

I second this - the quality is much too clear for it to be a transfer, especially in contrast to the logos in the corners of the screen. No dots, or interlaced lines, though I do see a bit of tracking line on the bottom that flickers slightely.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Certainly possible, I'd think they'd have some intro saying "GoldenEye 007 for N64", etc.

Actually come to think of it, are there any beta videos with the beta aimer? I can't think of any, it may have changed early on.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The video on youtube is available in 480p which would suggest that the raw video uploaded to youtube was most likely 640x480 or 720x480 resolution. The thing is, though, that those logos would only downscale to that type of quality (its like every 3rd horizontal line is missing from the image) in a VHS to digital conversion if the digital was recording in something like 240p - and even then it would depend on what codec you use and what deinterlacing settings you set.

Yet to me the gameplay footage itself almost looks like it could have been grabbed from a VHS recording - it doesn't look sharp enough to have been from an emulator to my eye, but even if that were the case, those logos I can say with almost certainty were not part of the original recording.

PacmanPlush
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
Certainly possible, I'd think they'd have some intro saying "GoldenEye 007 for N64", etc.

Actually come to think of it, are there any beta videos with the beta aimer? I can't think of any, it may have changed early on.

I can't recall any either. The final reticle design is present in some early media--difficult to find an exact date, but it can be seen in this famous video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPV3Aw1IGLE (Difficult to discern given the quality of the video, but it can be seen when Bond shoots the guys coming through the door in Facility.)

I think the aiming reticle is a key to debunking this video. (If the near-perfect image quality isn't enough verification...) As seen in the video I linked above, the final reticle design and the beta KF7 model co-existed. However, 24 seconds into the "Best Buy" footage, we see the final KF7!

As Dragonsbrethren pointed out, the tracers in this new video are pretty glitchy. Pre-release images found here: http://www.mundorare.com/games/goldeneye-007/screenshots-beta show quite clearly that the tracers worked perfectly in the beta KF7-era.

Furthermore, I believe I found the source images for the logos seen in this video.

The N64 logo:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/n64/animal-crossing/screenshots/gameShotId,379140/

Fourth result for "Nintendo 64 logo" on Google Images. Taken from Animal Forest, the N64 version of Animal Crossing. (Released 2001.) I believe the gradient on the colours and position of the text match exactly, will verify later. Don't know of any other N64 media that used this exact version of the logo--so, fair to say it didn't actually exist at the time that this video would have been created.

The Rare logo:
http://www.dkc-atlas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=314
(scroll down a little bit)

23rd result for "Rareware logo" on Google Images. Taken from Donkey Kong Country. The shine in the upper right corner is a dead giveaway. Rare would definitely have used a newer version of their logo for GoldenEye promo videos!

The Best Buy logo:
http://www.sprintfeed.com/2012/02/score-a-50-gift-card-from-best-buy-when-you-upgrade-your-smartphone/

Might be wrong on this one. Didn't bother counting which result number this was but I found it by searching "Best Buy logo". It's a transparent PNG but when opened in most editors you'll see a white background that extends past the logo. Looks about the same size as the one in the video--again, I'll verify this later.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Another strange thing I noticed on the video is at the 0:20 mark, the vertical framing changes slightly - you'll see the entire video shifts about 2 pixels downward - notice how the ammo count moves down and very bottom of the video moves the black bar down slightly.

Rey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm willing to say it's a fake. I can see that the way the shots come out of the gun is what you would normally see in an emulator.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All these years later and people are still making fake beta pics and videos? That's... impressive. Razz

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: