ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

New hammer map - padded room (DOWNLOAD BETA IPS PATCH)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: New hammer map - padded room (DOWNLOAD BETA IPS PATCH) Reply with quote Back to top

Runway expansion is getting tedious - needed a break from it. Will come back to it later. I had no idea it would turn into such a massive amount of work.

Anyways, in the meantime, I decided to start up something I haven't done in a while - a hammer map. I'm keeping it simple and polygons minimal. Basically it will be a square building with a padded room at its center. There will be several entrances to the roof. There will also be other rooms in the not-yet-fleshed-out building. Haven't decided yet if there's going to be an outdoors portion yet, will really depend on framerates and how big the level "feels" when playing it.

I'm making this one grenade friendly. There will be plenty of places where you can toss grenades and I will make sure that the clipping and bg are all set up so that grenade travel is 100 percent accurate (ie, not falling through floors or ramps).

Hope to have this one finished up in a few weeks or few months if it takes longer than expected.

Here is a teaser pic:

Last edited by bmw on Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When I read "Padded Room", I was picturing an insane asylum. This is certainly more colourful than that! Hope to see more of this as you continue to build on it. Smile

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Rey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Your first pic reminds me of fort plastro I think it's called. In one of the areas in MP.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

that's extremely cool B Very nice feel for GE kudos!!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some more progress:

(pics updated later in thread)

Last edited by bmw on Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh man B that is so Ctiadelish cool! Can't wait to play it!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks my goal here is a sort-of wide open map but with plenty of cover. The problem with most open maps is too many polygons loaded at once bogging the level down. In here I'm purposely keeping things very basic, doing things like using ramps instead of stairs (staircases add a LOT of polygons to any map), building things like crates right into the architecture so that I don't have to use objects, and keeping textures to a minimum. I'm also designing the layout so that grenades travel properly - I won't get into the long technical explanation but there are some design flaws which will cause grenades to fall through platforms.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do you plan on using RGB colouring to modify some sections to be slightly more colourful later on? Even kind of like how Complex highlighted a few key areas with red, yellow and blue. Could give it a nice appearance, and break up the grey scheme a little bit.

Looking like it'll be a neat deathmatch arena!

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Certainly. That was actually part of the reason why I stuck with a grey theme - the grey textures are much easier to shade with color than are textures that already have color in them.

It is frustrating though not being able to hallow out anything or put walkways which you can walk under - doing so would ruin grenade usage on this map.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok Structurally my level is complete.

Roof: I kept the roof fairly wide-open without much stuff up there. There are 2 stairway entries and several holes where you can see into the main floor.

The main portion of the level:

The smaller areas behind the doorways:

Next step is to compile the map and break it into smaller rooms for import into the editor.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Finally got the technical details worked out with importing and getting this thing loaded in-game at the correct scale (Caves' scale was just about perfect so I will be using the caves MP as my base for overwriting).

Lower floor will be broken down into 11 rooms. Roof probably into 3.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:29 am    Post subject: :) Reply with quote Back to top

this map is so GOLDENEYE bro. reminds me of the good old days when DESIGN was a big thing in making games and even the multiplayer maps in this game were IT back then Wink. SUPERB layout idea. NICELY executed. Very Happy Cool

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be posting more screenshots as I get this thing imported, converted, and lighted. Lighting is proving to be somewhat tricky just because Hammer's compiler isn't drawing the triangles how I want them. I have tricks for forcing it to draw how I want but its somewhat time consuming.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've got 3 rooms imported.

Playing around with some lighting effects:

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That shading looks very good, bmw. Are you doing clipping colors so players and props match the lights from background?
Good combination of hard and soft shadows. You really thought about it beforehand or it wouldn't be possible to do. Seems you are using the Lighting Source mode for the "atmospheric" lights. That needs some background preparations too.

I really like how you created the map, using a squared texture as module. All matches perfectly.

This map reminds me of Doom since it doesn't have multiple floors (except for the roof, which would make it more like Duke Nukem then).
Seems that you thought about the layout thoroughly, with lots of possible situations in mind (tossing grenades through holes, covers for sniping, big open spaces for rockets...).

Looking very promissing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: