ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

New hammer map - padded room (DOWNLOAD BETA IPS PATCH)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah I'm using the Light Source tool for the ambient lighting. It works pretty good actually, this is the first time I've tried using it - what's nice is you can kind of poke around the map with the paintbrush and "S" until you get it looking just how you want it. I'm going to be putting in some colored ambient lighting as well.

As far as the hard shadows - those are a royal pain. In order to get Hammer to export the tris how I want them, I use a different texture to define the borders and then when I import into the setup editor, I simply point to the correct preset in the texture file to switch it back. The end result is polygons drawn right where I want them.

I'm doing clipping last so converting bg tiles to clipping should color them properly.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Slow but steady progress.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's always so cool to see how much a little lighting, shadowing and colouring can do for a map. This is really starting to look nice, BMW.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

DK25
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What version of Hammer are you using, bmw?

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm using Hammer 3.4 SDK Build 1983.

Got 1/3 of the roof done. Putting the sun at an angle to the roof made doing hard-edged shadows a royal pain to figure out (I kind of figured it out, but no matter how I did my carving, hammer insisted I had leaks in my map), so I put the sun exactly parallel to the side walls so that I don't have to angle my shadows. Its not quite as cool looking as when shadows come off objects at angles, but it is technically accurate (as long as you assume either its the first day of summer or you're located at the equator) and still looks decent.

Which, btw, is the nice thing about building the crate objects into the architecture - I can control their shading.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can you not build the map in Hammer, export to OBJ, load it into another program such as DeleD, optimize the polygons, export the fixed up map, then import into the GoldenEditor? I thought I had read before someone was either doing that or planning to. May have even been Dragonsbrethren at one point. He'd know better than I.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wasn't me - probably was DB. Not sure I'm up to learning how to using a more sophisticated editor - the hammer editor at least is very user-friendly.

I actually used the Goldeneye Setup Editor to optimize the rooftop area. Reduced polygon count from 443 to 303, a reduction of 140 polygons or 31 percent. With that being my wide open area, that was my highest concern area for polygon count.

I'm at 688 thus far on my lower level with just over half of my rooms imported - I expect a final tally around 1200 for the bottom, 300 for the roof, 1500 total. There's enough walls in there and some of the portals are small so I'm fairly confident this should run very smoothly even in 4p.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Roof is completed, imported, and colored/shaded.

Altogether my level is about 3/4 imported into the editor and shaded. Coming along nicely.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:
Wasn't me - probably was DB. Not sure I'm up to learning how to using a more sophisticated editor - the hammer editor at least is very user-friendly.

I don't think it was me either, but I could be mistaken. I found cleaning up Hammer's mess to be more work than just modeling in DeleD itself, personally. You should give it a try sometime, the controls are a little different, but it doesn't have nearly as steep a learning curve as other modelling programs.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I gave it a try and I don't much care for the controls - I find navigating the maps to be tedious. I guess once you get to know a certain program inside and out (hammer) and how it operates, learning anything else is like re-learning how to type.

Once I got the hang of how to adjust texture values in the Goldeneye setup editor, its pretty easy to clean up hammer maps and optimize triangle count. Of the 10 rooms I've thus far imported, I've reduced my polygon count from 1378 to 1126, a reduction of 252 polygons or 18 percent.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Had to work out some issues with ceiling cracks, but got those fixed.

Up to 12 of 15 rooms imported (lighting subject to modification, it needs some more color). Figured this would make a great cross-section pic before I import the final non-hallway interior room:

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's going to be really great having a walk through this one. I might even have to try playing online again after this is released. It has been quite a long time since I last had a multiplayer match...

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Completion is relatively close. I ran into a few problems with the way I had diagonally split several of my rooms so I had to re-compile a few rooms, but otherwise the importing is close to complete (15 out of 18 total rooms are done). Once that part is done the rest should be easy. Had taken a short break, hope to get back on it this week.

In-game testing even with global visibility turned on (all portals deleted) played really well with 2 player, so once I get portals set up this thing should run as smoothly as the smoothest rare mp stages.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

3 years later, I've been getting the motivation to finish up one of my many unfinished projects, and this is the one I've decided to work on.

Continued progress:

Now I'm a little rusty using the editor, so if I have technical questions I'm sure I'll be asking them here.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The resurrection! Hehe.

Glad to see it being picked back up. And remember, you can put it into Perfect Dark, as well. You could incorporate ladders or lifts in a PD version to add more variety and function.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: