ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

New hammer map - padded room (DOWNLOAD BETA IPS PATCH)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

More importing progress. Only 1 room left to go! This particular room was the most difficult to get in and aligned correctly, but now I'm continuing to work with the stage lighting.

I hope to have some screenshots from the entire level done tomorrow and them I'm ready to start adding clipping, portals, and objects.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I'm VERY pleased with how this is progressing along. I have now converted and imported the entire stage from Hammer to the setup editor and I have also optimized polygon count by deleting a significant number of polygons created by Crafty upon export, re-sizing existing polygons, and correcting the texture alignments. This is a VERY efficient level (at least empty) as far as framerates go - it runs good even with all portal data deleted such that all rooms load and are visible at the same time. So once I add portals (which is next on my to-do list) it should zip right along, even with 4 players.

Stage lighting was a lot of work, but I'm happy with my final product. Clipping is finished and flawless. I have a few minor problems with my background file, but those should be easy to fix.

So basically all that is left is putting doors and weapons into the stage and adding portals. I'd like to do a custom image for the stage select screen but it has been so long since I've done that that I might need some help. I'll come back here for that when I'm ready.

Now, some in-game screenshots:

I may or may not get motivated enough to create a mission on this map. If I did, it would most certainly start out by having to escape from the padded room in the center of the stage and end by escaping in some aircraft on the roof.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haha it's been ages since I've last heard about this map being worked on. It is looking quite fantastic and I am quite shocked over how nice the lighting is.

Pretty impressive and hopefully I'll have time to check it out upon release.

Pretty excited to be honest as well haha.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lighting is a fine art in and of itself, but the tools in the editor sure make it much easier!

I've now got my portals completed and my minor bg issues fixed. Just working on weapon placement (mostly done), spawn points, doors (about half done), and maybe putting in a few objects and then I'm basically done. I don't like to over-promise, but I expect to have a release ready sometime next week.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm guessing the metal crate stacks are part of the BG, rather than objects? That would work well to cut down on polygons (since not all sides are visible, no need to draw them). They'd only really need to be props if they were capable of blowing up. So BG is a good decision on that.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I made them part of the BG data for two reasons - one, for framerate reasons, and two, for lighting - having them part of the bg allows me to do things with lighting that I couldn't easily do if they were props.

Anyways, THIS SUCKER IS DONE! Well, almost. All I have left to do is create a custom menu item with a custom menu pic, but other than that, it is completed! My first completed project in quite a few years.

Level stats:

-Weapon sets: 6 (2 on the roof, 2 in the hallways, 1 in the padded room, 1 in the main room)

-Body Armor: 2 (both half-strength)

-Stand-alone hand grenades: 2 (one of my trademarks)

-Respawn points: 7

I'm very happy with the final outcome. Framerates hold VERY WELL even with 3 players. Haven't tested with 4.

So here is my first beta patch - http://breakingnewsfeeds.com/goldeneyehacks/padded-room.ips

Apply that to a byteflipped rom and be sure to change your rom settings to: Recompiler, Change Memory and Cache, Mem size 4 MB, advanced block linking OFF, Counter factor 2, and the first 4 boxes under that checked.

Load multiplayer - CAVERNS.

Since this is not my official final release, I'm open to suggestions, bug reports, etc. But I was hard pressed to find any bugs.

Last edited by bmw on Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll try to check it out before the weekend. Hehe, I was suspecting some bonus hand grenades might make an appearance. Good to have something unique for your releases.

Yeah, lighting would be better for the crates as BG. Otherwise, you would need to create clipping directly beneath the crates, with a colour or shade to change the grey metal to suit the area.

Oh, and speaking of clipping, you might want to make sure your clipping is greyscaled (unless supposed to be a blue or other coloured light in the area). I noticed in the padded room shot that the wood part of the KF7 was tinted blue from the clipping. I think the Editor has an option to do so (at least in PD mode). Only certain plugins show the clipping colours properly, but the KF7 and GL definitely do (maybe shotgun shells and magnum inside cylinder), so it is very easy to overlook.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I clipped my level after all the lighting was done, so the clipping tiles all match the BG lighting data.

The reason it is so blue in the padded room is because I didn't actually use the blue fabric - I can't remember why I ditched it, but I seem to vaguely recall that it might have crashed the game. So I just colored the yellow fabric blue for the same effect. So the clipping tris in that room would be pure blue. I think I might tone that back a bit, maybe not completely grayscale, but with a hint of blue.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well if the yellow texture could be recoloured blue that nicely, may as well just use it and save an image. The RGBA can go a long way in making textures look or feel different, so it's good when people utilize it. I'll try and play it tomorrow.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alright, finally had a chance to give it a look. It seems to play quite well, and the layout is nice. The design almost feels like it could work well in a Mario Kart or DKR multi battle matchup, as well. Some neat lighting in spots, and fun using some beta leftovers.

Notes:
Definitely subdue the blue clipping lighting in the padded room. The items inside are really dull on the blue floor, and players are also very tinted. Your FPS hand stands out a lot, too. With the walls being yellow and crates grey, everything else within shouldn't be blue hilighted. I would personally greyscale it (no tint), or use only a +1 for the blue.

The hand grenade pickup is a GL grenade prop. Not sure if that was on purpose, but it is odd not to match what you get from it.

Not sure I am too big on that one piece of glass being tinted. Does it help performance? Not that it matters much, considering it can be broken. I almost feel like non-tinted would be better there.

Other than those tiny details, it is quite a good new multi arena. It may be a little much for 4-P matches, but that may require more intensive testing. Smile

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the feedback.

The clipping will be fixed as I agree 100%. Easy fix.

WHOOPS on the hand grenade - I thought it didn't look right. I didn't realize there's a "grenade" and a "hand grenade." Another easy fix.

As to the tinted glass - the reason was not for performance, but because I wanted the player to be able to "hide out" behind it - it basically acts as one-way glass unless you're close to it from the other side. I otherwise have no preference on tinted or not.

I still need to test with 4 players. Haven't gotten around to it yet since I need an additional unlock 4 players code in order to play the Caverns slot in 4p.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can edit how many players can be in Caverns in the multiplayer tab of the 21990 Modifications menu. I had to do just that to test on console. It may be a touch laggy with all four at certain times, especially if firing automatic weapons. Two and three should be pretty good, though. Have to get a real test with actual human beings all playing together. One person walking them into different positions only does so much.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Had a chance to test 4p on the emulator. The way I test is I map my same controller to all 4 players, get a KF7 for player 1, then walk in circles firing and checking the firing speed. I also make sure my players are all in different areas of the map, then it gets them all spinning in circles while one is firing and the other 3 are all using their slappers. This is kind of the ultimate framerate test.

3 players held very well - it was comparable to the Facility in 4 players. But it noticeably bogged down with 4 players. One option is to force certain objects to load only with 2 and 3 players - for instance, I could eliminate a weapon set and maybe all the trash bins on the roof and the body armors for 4 players, just as an example.

connery as bond
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Love the coloring a lot. Just enough to give it some life but not too cartoon looking to where it looks out of place in GoldenEye's world. Haven't tested it out yet but will definitely let you know when I do.
- Mt. Hochkonig
- TBA

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The coloring was a real challenge to strike a balance somewhere between BLAH and YIKES. Luckily the lighting tools in the editor made it MUCH easier. Which - also compliments to Subdrag and others involved in the editor project specifically on the portals tools - adding portals to this entire stage was so incredibly easy with the ability to create them on bg tris and then go right into the coordinates box and make changes instead of I remember the old way having to constantly edit the portals text file.

Any comments on my door selection? The grey swingers seemed kind of generic but I couldn't find really anything else that fit. And I think the glass doors look great in the padded room, THOUGH, I suppose if you had anybody locked up in a padded room I'm not sure you'd want them to have access to glass Smile

As to framerates I might go back in check drawing and fog distances - I cranked them up in the 21990 from the Caverns default, I may have to scale them back a bit.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: