ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Minimizing polygon count

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Minimizing polygon count Reply with quote Back to top

Are there any secret tricks out there when compiling a hammer map to reduce the number of polygons in the .bsp file? My bsp files certainly aren't as efficient as they could be.

HackBond

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

null or nodraw texture? Can't remember if the wad has nodraw or null.

Anyway that texture won't draw any face that has the texture.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not referring to the NULL texture but rather the way the compiler breaks up a surface (which has the same texture from corner to corner) into triangles. It will sometimes take an area that could be broken into just 2 triangles and break it into 6 or more.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nah, there's really not, that's why a lot of us moved on to using actual modelers.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've stumbled upon another one of hammer's limitations (or at least the compiler)

Last edited by bmw on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think that's the n64's limits too. that picture looks like NORMAL shadowing done by the game anyway Wink ??????

You'd have to port the game to a whole other ENGINE. It's not the mapping ....IT'S THE SYSTEM Wink

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Those screenshots are taken from the editor, not the system. Its the way the maps themselves are compiled before ever making their way to being exported to the rom.

EDIT - I'm completely re-wording my explanation as follows:

The way hammer compiles maps, it cannot handle an extra-long diagonal wall where the only way to make it work is to have a bg triangle with one side the entire length of the wall. The problem arises specifically when your diagonal wall has no integer (x,y) coordinates along it other than its endpoints.

Lets say you have a wall parallel to the x-axis with a length of 41 units and a wall parallel to the y-axis with a length of 7 units and you want to connect those 2 walls with a diagonal wall to make a triangle. The only 2 coordinates on that particular diagonal wall with integer values are the endpoints. However, if you instead have walls of lengths of 42 and 7, then you have 6 different locations along that diagonal which have an integer coordinate (every 7 units over and 1 unit up).

So if you have an extra long diagonal wall which has no point along it with integer (x,y) coordinates except the endpoints, the only way to make edges with the floor and ceiling work properly is to have a floor triangle and a ceiling triangle the entire length of the wall - and if your wall is long enough, the compiler can't do it. What the compiler does is breaks that edge into multiple triangles, ones which aren't quite parallel with the wall, and you get cracks as seen in the above screenshots or shadows that aren't perfectly straight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: