ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Wii GE Hacking

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> James Bond Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Wii GE Hacking Reply with quote Back to top

Apparently there's some enterprising individuals hacking the Wii GE007. There's a lot of beta maps in there, including one you'll find rather familiar ;*)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_akmxxA5rI&feature=player_embedded#at=336

Makes you wonder if they used the editor for the extract. Poke around and you'll find a plethora of other stages too.

Macopride64 has been working out the codes, for NTSC and PAL. This batch allows some of the unused maps online:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4riym3ac3z6r0

The forefront of this is at:
http://mp64ge.freeforums.org
Pretty sure they require registration to keep prying laywers away. You can view individual pages via internet cache though.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is very interesting.

There are a few Wii games that have a hacking community behind them, some of them very big (Smash Brawl, New Super Mario BROS Wii, Super Mario Galay 1&2, Mario Kart Wii, Monster Hunter tri, Guitar Hero...).
Since you can run hacks with the original game and a SD card or run a hacked iso via USB, the Wii is one of the best systems for hacking (nor with the last mini-Wii).

It would be very cool to have a GoldenEye Wii hacking community too.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Really cool stuff, awesome when devs leave so much unused content on the disc.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Wii GE Hacking Reply with quote Back to top

zoinkity wrote:
Apparently there's some enterprising individuals hacking the Wii GE007. There's a lot of beta maps in there, including one you'll find rather familiar ;*)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_akmxxA5rI&feature=player_embedded#at=336

Makes you wonder if they used the editor for the extract. Poke around and you'll find a plethora of other stages too.

That is practically an exact replica, or like you said, they extracted it from the N64 rom.
Pretty awesome find!

And like Dragon, I also wonder dev's always leave so much stuff, would it not be better to remove them to make space for other content?

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're seeing more and more content left over in games lately, all because of development practices.

See, nowadays the guys writing and compiling code are removed from the ones making assets. Normally, if you have a hand in everything, you know what to clean out of the directories and what not to. Instead, the project head is requesting resources from the art department, who then throw stuff as they complete it in resource directories. The code guys include a nice little line like "include res/*" to blanket include everything in that directory.

Unless somebody who knows what everything is comes along and cleans these directories out between builds you'll get all sorts of crazy stuff rolling over. Chances are that won't happen unless they overrun the disk size or something, since it always comes with the inherent risk of screwing something up.

It works out though. Remember that unlike cartridge games disk titles have a given amount of room. There's no advantage to making a smaller game, since the disk stores a fixed amount regardless. The only advantage is making tighter code that runs faster.
Deadlines are the ultimate limitation on new content. If they had cleaned out the extra data you'd still have the same amount of content in the end.

That's great news for hackers.

K1lo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:
Really cool stuff, awesome when devs leave so much unused content on the disc.

I totally agree, it's really fun digging through game images as a lot of the time nothing is really hidden as the developers never expected the raw contents of the image to be freely accessible.

I've played the Wii version quite a bit, for the most part it was good and had some fun moments. In general though I wasn't overly fussed by it, might be time to dig it out again

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I never picked it up, kind of wish I did, I wouldn't mind playing it again but I've got too much of a backlog to be buying any more games right now.

It wasn't a bad game; I honestly think it would've surpassed the original for me if they stuck to remixed N64 level design like the beginning of Dam.

K1lo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The divergence really bugs me. Parts that follow the original but are expanded are a lot of fun, but everything else is a bit average. Worse, the different casting and voice acting is jarring and strange when compared to the film or n64 version.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@Zoinkity: As a developer myself I can tell you you're dead right. There's also a little bit of "amusement" that I think every developer gets from keeping things around with the "you never know when they'll be handy" mentality.

Coders who comment liberally frequently just disable things instead of flat out deleting them, and often assets will go in with original development files because it's just handy to do that. It happens all the time with my job.

I also think every serious developer hopes that someone will pick up on their stuff and find the little secrets that have been hidden within it, just oneday, perhaps Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> James Bond Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: