ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

A Wiki for ShootersForever
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Website & Message Board Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drache
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: A Wiki for ShootersForever Reply with quote Back to top

I know we have a wiki for Goldeneye Vault, but has anybody thought about creating a wiki for Shooters Forever, along with some more detailed information on programming and coding for the editors?
I assure that it is safe to say that a lot of us here by the community have a lot of background or just plain know Goldeneye and Perfect Dark so intuitively now that we might possibly create the most extensive wiki for these games. Very Happy I have already discovered a wiki from wikia for Goldeneye that mentions some bits of the modding we do here, but it seems to be lacking Perfect Dark and the work that is done here such as Goldeneye X. I believe we need an official wiki for the website.

What do you all here think?

fantsu

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea, but would be awful lot of work.
Confused

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was semi hoping the vault one was a start to that. But no one ended up editing it, so it's been a bit stagnant. It started as copy of mediawiki's.

Drache
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Believe me or not, I would be quite motivated to help detail a wiki. The only problem is that I would have little influence in actually installing the wiki into the server but I would really love to contribute towards that. I do not think writing things about the games or some secrets needs so much extensive time as for the mods and perhaps writing some history about the programs and Goldeneye X.

I think it would be splendid since this website is a very strong Goldeneye/Perfect Dark source already.

HackBond

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
I was semi hoping the vault one was a start to that. But no one ended up editing it, so it's been a bit stagnant. It started as copy of mediawiki's.

Well, if the wiki could be updated, I wouldn't mind editing it now and then. It's so out of date that I can't use the documentation from MediaWiki.

[Decoy] Antenna | Control | Silo | Escape

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Whatever happened to the old GE wiki anyway?

It's odd, but hacking wikis tend not to be updated often. You just don't get that sort of response from these communities it seems.
Case and point: there's no GE or PD info, at all, on Data Crystal. Seriously, we have ROM maps, RAM maps, allocation patterns, data types, file formats, offset tables--you name it. There's like, maybe two, three things tops I can think of that we don't actually understand or haven't at least made a half-assed attempt to rewrite yet. Heck, we independently RE'd the RSP microcode long before any of that was (semi)publicly available. Tools for its sound and compression compounded into tools for a wide swath of N64 titles.

[edit]There's no N64 data on Data Crystal. Aegh![/edit]

Here's a good question: what do you want to put in it? How technical, how end user, how player-oriented, how dev-oriented, how editor-focused?
In the end that's been a major problem with previous GE/PD wikis. Contributors weren't really sure what the goal was, and it didn't just "fall as it will", so to speak.

I guess the real question is, should a new wiki be developed, or should we get serious about the old one and turn it into something worthwhile?

Drache
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If anybody would be able to install wiki install files into the websites server, so that we have our own independent wiki, I would be more than happy to fill as much of it as possible. Like previously mentioned, I think we have more than enough very knowledgeable members who would also be able to contribute very useful information.

How might we get the permission for something of that such?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The one on vault is independent and owned by me so that should be ok. Unless you meant something else.

HackBond

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
The one on vault is independent and owned by me so that should be ok. Unless you meant something else.

It's independent, but out of date and has a lack of documentation due to MediaWiki updating, and the site not having any help files to begin with. No-one will be able to use it correctly.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What can I do to update it?

HackBond

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Delete everything to do with it and reinstall with the latest stable download from http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

Drache
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was interested in adding in content from Perfect Dark as well and not just Goldeneye.
Would it also make sense to have a wiki directly here on ShootersForever?

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just cover PD on the Vault wiki, back when I set the Wikia GE Wiki up that was always my intention.

Also, I feel that documenting the game itself was a bit of a waste of time. When I set it up, I didn't think Wikia would allow a purely hacking/editor-specific wiki. In the time since, I've seen Wikias for even more esoteric things. Regardless of that, you're free from them and their awful advertising policies anyway. The wiki format is great for tutorials.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I updated to the latest media wiki. So it's ready for you. Yes, Perfect Dark would be great there too. I'd be ok with a pure hacking/game internals/beta info wiki.

http://www.goldeneyevault.com/wiki/

Drache
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just registered myself on the wiki. Have I already been granted access to edit articles and settings within the wiki? Also it looks exactly the same before the update. Should it not look more like some of the newer wikis as far as appearance goes?

I was wondering if we would like more colour or a logo for the wiki, how about it?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Website & Message Board Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: