ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Mario Kart 64 multiplayer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Mario Kart 64 multiplayer. Reply with quote Back to top

I remember reading an old thread on another forum a while back where the discussion was if it was possible to have music and AI opponents on a 3 player or 4 player grand Prix.

I also remember Zoinkity answering and showing of an quick test of AI opponents on a 4 player race. My question to Zoinkity is, was it ever worked on anymore? if not do you plan to or would you release your alpha?

I love playing emulators on a 55'' hd with full def with n64 controllers with adapters and 4 players (when I can convince them) but frankly playing a match without Music and Grand Prix without music and Ai is kind of a turn off.

Hopefully its not that difficult, there is support for it and you find the drive.

If not, then a man can dream... Crying or Very sad

I just realised I posted on the wrong forum, I apologize I had multiple windows open. Moderator pls feel free to move or delete if necesary, sorry again.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's mothballed.

I just found that file again on a floppy. I'm finally getting rid of those blasted things!

Oh my, yeah, it was a huge pain in the butt to get that far with it. There were problems with memory overruns, causing "graphics problems" the bottom two racers. Oh, and it crashing when you move onto the next track. That was a bummer ;*)

I don't know what yahoo coded that game, but every time they tested the number of players they had independant, usually identical copies of code. They compounded this by then duplicating that code for each race type. I mean, we're talking huge blocks of identical code for individual HUD elements. It's like they wrote switches for each one:
[code]
switch(mode) {
case GP:
switch(playercount) {
case 1: display speed; break;
case 2: display speed; break;
case 3: display speed; break;
case 4: display speed; break;
}
switch(playercount) {
case 1: display item; break;
case 2: display item; break;
case 3: display item; break;
case 4: display item; break;
}
break;
case 2P:
etc...
[code]
Sorry, it was really, really tedious. There's probably a few hundred of these in the main race loop.

The problem is more along the lines of cleaning up enough of the code to free up more rdram space, to increase allocation size, to hopefully solve the complete stupidity that is the graphics errors.

So, that's why it's mothballed. If you want what I have you're welcome to it.

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Aww its a shame, but I think I understand what you mean with the code, like instead of drawing resources needed for each screen it generated duplicates thus unnecessary calculations quickly filling the ram? Well I am no programmer I guess my next question is, is it UI friendly or does it need tweaking in order to work? (in case you still have it of course)

Ps. Sorry for late reply..

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lol, I totally missed this post.

I asked in another topic if it would be possible to fix the MK64 multiplayer:
Remove the bombs in the VS mode and fix the speed in all the courses that are accelerated. I don't know what were they thinking when they decided to do that.
Maybe do sound available in 3P and 4P too, but I doubt the N64 would be able to keep up then.

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah me too, it would be nice to have a real 4 player race with ai opponents and music, no bombs. Imagine the Chaos.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You know, there's always the possibility of making it an exp. pak enhanced cart. Hopefully the only issue with running music was available ram.

If I ever get time away from other projects I'll take this up again. Aegh! Doing way too much nowadays.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Zoinkity, I really appreciate all the effort you put in the N64 scene.

Perhaps you can take a look to Diddy Kong Racing too? It lacks music in 3P and 4P too (although I'm ok with that if performance gets worse with music). Having available all the cheats from the start like in your Rush 2049 patch would be cool too. And a "random item globe" cheat would be awesome. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Amazingly, a Rare title I haven't done anything with yet ;*)

You know, I hate to admit it, but originally the 2049 hack was going to import all the interesting additional (locked!) features from the PAL title into the NTSC one. When that went up in smoke, there was this nightmarish attempt to force the PAL game to run NTSC. Got it to run either sound with no video or video with no sound, but never both at the same time. Have to take another whack at it some time.
PAL has all the neatest features though, like the random hidden MP pickups.

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Zoinkity your efforts are truly appreciated man. Hopefully you will take a crack at it again and come up with something. Mk64 a great game just needs a LOT of polishing is all.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: