ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

How accurate will GEX's campaign be compared to GE64's?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: How accurate will GEX's campaign be compared to GE64's? Reply with quote Back to top

Since most people who play GEX will be very familiar with GE64, and be pretty good at the game, it occurs to me that you might be justified in making GEX's version of GE64's campaign a little harder, to add more challenge and more fun for the player. After all, anyone new to the N64 can always play GE64 if they like, so I don't see a downside to making GEX harder. I don't mean stupidly hard, of course, I mean put a few more enemies in each maps, randomise the placement of objective critical items (is that possible?), place a few enemies in strategic spots, and so on.

Of course the maps themselves should be the same as in GE64 (or as close as can be managed), albeit maybe with some improvements or larger/open areas, but dynamic things like the placement of both people and objects can be altered without losing the 'Goldeneye 64' feel of the mod.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Smarter guards and the fact that they'll be able to see and shoot you in a lot of situations they couldn't before are going to ramp up the difficulty without needing to change anything. Even the first few seconds of the game are going to play out differently: the guards in the beginning of Dam will see you right past those rails, walls, and trench.

Will definitely be interesting to see how missions like Caverns play out now that guards can actually see you. Cradle might be impossible without intentionally limiting their sight over the railings.

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What I would like to know is will the Cradle in solo be the same from the original or is it going to be half assed like the one in 5b?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AstroBomber wrote:
What I would like to know is will the Cradle in solo be the same from the original or is it going to be half assed like the one in 5b?

Um wow is all I can say to that. Thanks for positive encouragement and yourpositive support and kind praises as always. Wheeeee

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Half-assed? I will have you know that it took me some time to optimize the Cradle map to play as well as it does in multiplayer mode. Every room connection required brand new portals to be created, since there weren't any in GoldenEye to begin with and Perfect Dark requires them for rooms you walk between. If the level feels like it doesn't perform well with multiple players and a bunch of Sims, you should see what it's like with the additional rooms and geometry. The removal of certain areas, machinery and shadows was all in an effort to improve gameplay, not take away from it. Other games, such as TWINE, did the same with mission maps for MP mode. Similar was done with the Frigate. I certainly apologize if that one wasn't up to your standards, either... Rolling Eyes

As for the mission campaign, I'm not really keen on adding additional guards or randomizing locations of key items. I understand the idea that it may just feel like GE007 all over again, but the subtle changes to clipping and enemy AI will definitely be noticeable. And other things, such as weather and suns/moons, will give a new atmosphere to various missions. If people want to customize level setups, pads or clipping as things are released publicly, I have no quarrel with that. After all, you can't please everybody.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like that idea Kerr Avon and I agree. not think it's impossible to put more enemies, objects that explode when shot at any level of the game and sloped or things. I agree also with increasing difficulty and variety as long as it does not involve removing or subtract the basics of GE.

anyway as it says "Dragonsbrethren" the guards will be affected and will be different the way we perceive the game, especially in terms of AI. eg

Advantages of new variety:
- Maybe you can shoot an enemy weapon you take it away and pull out a DD44 Dostovei or perhaps give up and raise your arms.
-there will be blood.
-enemies can seek help other guards.
- Enemies can see through railings and perhaps through the crystals.
-The way the explosions affect enemies and objects is similar to but different between GE and PD. GE for example, sometimes an explosion comes to affect or transfer to another room solid door

Disadvantages or drawbacks (which has no GE and PD):
-enemies can seek help other guards, which is something that occurs in PD (this is something that I have not liked much of PD). In GE does not happen that alarms and countless enemies in some levels feature replaces this GE, GE also the enemy do not seem deaf and hear the sound of guns.
-The way the explosions affect enemies and objects.
-On many levels the amount of enemies comes to be almost endless, especially as alarms work at GE.
-We may not have the AI ​​and animations GE damage or death (unless you get carry)
-the enemies that will come out when an alarm sounds if it will not be as strong as in GE. in PD seem weaker and need less shots to kill them.
-by the time the vehicle goes missing tank and run over enemies and we can not even hear the sound of crunching bones.
-enemies sometimes take out grenades and this does not occur in PD.

the truth is that either way will be different. not to vary both the basics of GE, it may be good to have infinite enemies in each level, especially those where none had levels eg Dam, Frigate, Silo and Streets. this is not just to increase the difficulty a bit, also for someone to divieierta in the level even if you have completed all.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In my opinion keeping the game as close to original is the best way to please the majority of people. If you change something people that want it to be like GE will be mad, and other people won't like the changes made and be mad too, hehe.
From the GE base, use the improved features PD provides to make it play different. Guards will be smarter, be able to see you through railings and glass and Bond won't have the slight invencibility after every shoot; so it will be harder than GE no matter what.

If someone wants GE:X to be different he/she can blend it to his/her interest thanks to the Editor. The most tedious and hard things (inject GE textures and port models to the PD rom) will be already done.

Of course I myself want some little changes to be done. Nothing too special:
-In Dam be able to reach the island with the boat just for diversion (no need to add guards or anyting new there).
-In Facility have only one position for Dr. Doak (in the room with the small gas tanks that can explode) because that way it won't be so frustrating when trying to do beat the cheat time.
-In Runway be able to start the level from the spot where you leave Facility. And make a room for the closed door.
-In the Bunker levels make the rooms get darker after you shoot the lights.
-In Statue have only one position for the helicopter black box (perhaps even a new position Laughing )
-In Streets improve the background at the end of the level by adding the beginning of Depot in the weird void.

I'm sure most of them have already been discused, but perhaps there's something new in my list. Smile

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have probably already made my views plain enough in the past, but I feel like replying here Razz

I think as regards to enemy and objectives that these should remain as GE since the enemy will already have upgrades as mentioned above.

I aggree with runway start (I think facility is the only level to have 2 exits?)

Any change I would suggest (as I have done already) would be cosmetic graphical enhancements. Lights (which is included in Soguns suggestion above) would be a huge gameplay difference that will be great, and graphicly beutifull (lense flares).
Textures, detail maps and model tweeks are my thing.
If anyone is interetsed to see my updates I host them.
http://fgfc.dyndns-free.com/Goldfinger/Models/Server/GoldenEyetextureUpdates/

Trev

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What is the official mission statment for Goldeneye X, by the way? Is it "Goldeneye in the PD engine", or more along the lines of "Goldeneye Deluxe - what Goldeneye would have been like if Rare had had the time and expansion pak"? Personally I hope you'll vere towards the latter (as I said above, anyone who wants to, can always play the original GE64 if they want 100% authenticity) and add improvements as long as the don't stray too far from the Golddneye feel.

AstroBomber wrote:

I like what they did with that map for multiplayer. The whole thing presumably would be too intensive for four players (at least at a playable frame-rate) and too large, this is a great compromise. Not one of my favourites maps, true, but it's nice for an occasional change, and I really hope it stays in the game (I hope all of the maps stay in the game, even (yuck!) Caves)

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
You can't please everybody.

'specially not Astroid

LOL

AstroBomber
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:
Wreck wrote:
You can't please everybody.

'specially not Astroid

LOL
Rolling Eyes

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SPANISH:

me alegro de que estemos hablando tanto de esto y otras cuestiones de GEX, es bueno saber la gran variedad de opiniones e ideas que cada uno puede aportar.

estoy de acuerdo con Sogun, en que lo mejor que se puede hacer es mantener GEX fiel al juego original tanto como sea posible, con esto me estoy refiriendo a los cambios, lo que significa que cambiar o sustituir algo hara que el mod no sea fiel al juego original. sin embargo para mi otra cosa muy distinta es añadir , por que de esta forma no se necesita cambiar o sustituir algo , lo cual esto hace que se mantenga lo basico sin hacer sacrificios de las cosas del juego original GE (por supuesto aqui no me olvido de que debe quedar memoria sobrante en el rom PD para hacer estas cosas).

Me parecen muy interesantes los pequeños cambios que quieres Sogun, sin embargo dos de ellos me han dejado perplejo y esto es solo una reflexion mia que sencillamente es para no convertir GEX en algo tan lineal como es PD. la variedad ,diversidad y azar creo que fue lo que hizo de GE mas emocionante que PD ( a pesar del paso de los años ).

-In Facility have only one position for Dr. Doak (in the room with the small gas tanks that can explode) because that way it won't be so frustrating when trying to do beat the cheat time:

Simplemente me parece que GE se caracteriza por la variedad y diversidad a diferencia de PD. si dejamos al Dr.Doak en un lugar fijo, creo que le restamos algo importante la mision, por que le restamos exploracion al nivel al no haber una colocacion azar del DR.Doak. tambien le restaremos al tiempo record que debemos de batir no solo su emocion, si no tambien la dificultad y el desafio que plantea por que entonces los jugadores sabran la ubicacion exacta del Dr.Doak. ademas teniendo en cuenta que en GEX ,Bond ( en realidad sigues siendo Joana en un cuerpo de Bond ) corre a mas velocidad que bond en GE ,el desafio sera mas facil y rapido, y tambien influye que aunque para GEX se desactivo la funcion "desarmar", los jugadores pueden disparar al arma del enemigo para que se les caiga y recojerlas antes que el guardia, para lo grande que es un KF7-Soviet puedes hacer caer el arma incluso disparando al azar en una carrera.

-In Statue have only one position for the helicopter black box (perhaps even a new position Laughing ):
como en el anterior punto, estoy a favor del azar, la diversidad y la exploracion.

ENGLISH:

I 'm glad we're talking so much about this and other issues of GEX , good to know the wide variety of opinions and ideas that everyone can contribute.

I agree with Sogun , that the best you can do is keep GEX faithful to the original game as much as possible , by this I am referring to the changes , which means to change or replace anything will make the mod not faithful the original game. however for me it is quite another thing to add , that this does not need to change or replace something, so this keeps it without making sacrifices basics of the original game items GE (of course here I do not forget memory that should be remaining in the rom PD to do these things ) .

I find very interesting small changes you want Sogun , though two of them have left me perplexed and this is just a reflection of mine who is simply not to turn into something so linear GEX as PD . the variety , diversity and randomly think what made more exciting GE PD (despite the passage of time ) .

-In Facility have only one position for Dr. Doak (in the room with the small gas tanks That Can explode) That Way Because it will not be so frustrating When trying to do beat the cheat time:

It just seems that GE is characterized by the variety and diversity unlike PD . if we fail to Dr.Doak in a fixed place , I think we subtract something important mission , because the level exploration subtract the absence of a random placement DR.Doak . also subtract the time you record that we must not only beat the emotion , if not also the difficulty and the challenge posed by that then the players will know the exact location of Dr.Doak . also considering that in GEX , Bond (actually you're still in a body of Joana Bond) speed runs more bond at GE , the challenge will be easier and faster , and also influences that although the function was deactivated GEX " disarm " , players can shoot the weapon of the enemy to drop them and picked up before the guard , for big a KF7 -Soviet weapon can bring down even shooting randomly into a career.

-In Statue have only one position for the helicopter black box ( Perhaps even a new position Laughing ) :
as in the previous point, I am in favor of chance , diversity and exploration .

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's what is amusing about the conversation regarding change when it comes to GoldenEye X. Some would like more randomization in item or character placement, while others would prefer that the very few instances of randomizing in the original game be made into fixed locations. Some enjoy the idea of disarming and/or blurred vision, while others are opposed to both concepts. Some want to be able to drop off platforms and fall to their death, yet still others think it doesn't suit the Bond universe.

The beginning location in Runway would be good to base it on the last exit location used in Facility. We can probably all agree on this one.

Interactive lights are something we definitely don't want to pass up. At this time, we possess only little knowledge of them. How to set the light entities in the background file is being sorted out, though we have determined coordinates, colouration, and room light counts. The way they actually darken the room (and connecting rooms) is still an unknown.

At the end of Streets is an odd void. My plan was to use the beta gate object, that looks just like the gate at the start of Depot, in that area. That will close off the opening, and keep continuity between the two maps.

Spawned in guards can be set to have higher health and body armour, just like in GoldenEye. Rare just didn't do it that way in Perfect Dark, for whatever reason. Same with grenades. They only seem to throw them in the Area 51 missions. But we'll try our best to keep the grenade guards in GEX.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm one of those who likes the blurry vision and the disarm feature. Razz
I agree they can be very annoying in multi matches, but on solo missions I think they will work well.
What about the close combat animations of enemies? Will they still be there? I suppose you can't get rid of them. Those fixed one of GE's flaws and added more realism.

Dropping from platforms is something that GE missed too, and I'm sure 99% of people wants to be able to do it.
I'm trying to remember places where this feature can make a difference in solo missions and I only can think of the cliff in Runway, the spiral ramp in Caverns and the platform at the end of Aztec... mmm, perhaps in the Archives attic too. There aren't many places actually. Ah, the curved stairs in control too, those can be annoying to fall over and over when climbing, hehe.
I think you'll have to decide whether let the players fall or not. PD did the same, like in the cliff at the beginning of Air Base.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, there will certainly be plenty of places with drops to give the player more freedom to move around, or move quickly from one place to the next. Like in Temple, Complex and Stack in VR mode. Places where you would fall to your death, I don't really care for. Cradle is the one exception, of course. PD even setup a few invisible barriers to prevent players from dying in certain situations, such as when crossing the tree bridge in Crash Site.

We probably could remove the close quarters combat abilities of the enemies, if it's just setup in their standard action blocks. The only move I don't like that much is the kick. If I was going to take out anything, it would be just that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: