ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Importing OBJ map into Goldeneye Editor issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's draw distance. It must be way too high! That happens to me when I set it to like 100,000

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The main issue on console was drawing distance (far fog) as Subdrag said. You can't really go further than the original value without messing something in the process.
Original far fog is 9500 which won't let you see almost nothing of the addition, and 15000 causes issues (flickering distant background) and isn't high enough to let you see the full thing (you need something like 50000 for that).

It will never look on console as good as it does on emu, so there's no meaning in updating the patch. I came up with some new sky settings that will work pretty good on console, but far from EternallyAries pics.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GECradleadditionskysettings_zps0f4288ec.png

Far fog can't get higher than that. It will blend the background as you move if you rise it.
There's still the issue of flickering distant background but I hide it with fog. It's still a little noticeable, though. I had to remove clouds because of this. With clouds the issue is very noticeable, but the level looks cooler when it doesn't happen, hehe.

Cradle with additons lags a little more than original on console, although the beginning lags a lot more. It's fully playable.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sogun wrote:
The main issue on console was drawing distance (far fog) as Subdrag said. You can't really go further than the original value without messing something in the process.
Original far fog is 9500 which won't let you see almost nothing of the addition, and 15000 causes issues (flickering distant background) and isn't high enough to let you see the full thing (you need something like 50000 for that).

It will never look on console as good as it does on emu, so there's no meaning in updating the patch. I came up with some new sky settings that will work pretty good on console, but far from EternallyAries pics.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GECradleadditionskysettings_zps0f4288ec.png

Far fog can't get higher than that. It will blend the background as you move if you rise it.
There's still the issue of flickering distant background but I hide it with fog. It's still a little noticeable, though. I had to remove clouds because of this. With clouds the issue is very noticeable, but the level looks cooler when it doesn't happen, hehe.

Cradle with additons lags a little more than original on console, although the beginning lags a lot more. It's fully playable.

Interesting, I never knew that the console would have such a low fog limit. Always thought the fog worked the same on the N64 and the Emulator.

I did a bunch of sky edits for a good 2 hours, before I knew what kind of fog would fit the level. As from what I found out, Blend Muit would make the level glitch out after passing 22.0000000000 or so. So I was wondering how you made it 50.0000000000

And yeah, I push the Far and Near Fog to its limits on the patch. I was needing to have it high for the fog to move back far in the level. If at all possible. I love to see an image of the cradle map, with the mess up sky/fog effect on the console. I bet it was sure interesting.

As for the clipping, I have plans to clip the plate. But after playing the stage on the finish release. It was fine to be left alone.

Also glad you are liking it Sogun, it was my first time working with models again. After so many years, I was glad I still remember how to use DeleD at least. Laughing

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey EternallyAries,

Mmmh, looking back at my sky settings I see that I have Visibility as 1.0. Visibility acts as a scale for some sky settings, such as far fog, near fog and blend mult.
I was also surprised that Blend mult 50 worked fine, but I thought it was being affected by Scale (making it something close to 400!) instead of Visibility. I should have known, since I have worked with sky settings a lot (someone in the GF64 team even calls me 'the fog guy', hehe).

I'm currently working on a map with 0.2 scale (close to Cradle). I tried its sky values on Cradle but they didn't work as well. I guess because I'm using 0.2 Visibility in my map too. I wonder if I can make things better for Cradle...

Blend Mult. affects the amount of fog you can see. When it's low the fog starts very close, and when you rise the value the fog starts further. But if you make it too high the geometry goes crazy. From my tests, the highest safe value is 30 with Visibility 1.0 (or 15 with Visibility 0.5, etc). Seems you can go further depending on how the level is build, so 50 was still a safe value for Cradle. I haven't tried these settings on emu, though, perhaps they behave different than on console.

Far fog is drawing distance. Fog 'streches' depending of that distance.
Near Fog is related to the distance from which props and characters appear. This is very complicated and I still haven't fully figured out. Max Obj dist, Far Obj Obfusc dist and Near Obj Objust dist do similar things. The best way to deal with them is setting them all to 0, hehe.

Far Intensity and Near Intensity are related to fog too. If you rise Near Intensity you'll make fog dissapear. Its usual value is 3E8, and fog is entirely gone when it's 400. That's what I do when I don't won't fog at all.
But this seems to work only on missions. i can't get rid of fog in multi maps.

EDIT: Wow, no flickering background with my other map values. I'll try to make things better and post the settings again.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did figure out that you can remove the near fog from what you said "400". But when it came to the cradle map, removing the fog was just god awful. I mean sure, you could see the whole level. But that map needs the fog badly. Or else it will look just so weird having the whole land shown in the sky with out a bit of fog. Laughing

As for what you said about Blend Muiti I am still surprise that the closer the fog is, the higher it can go. How much does it effect when you have the fog up close, but the blend in the 50's or even more?

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

New sky settings that work wonders on console! Clouds are back!
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345/Sogunesp/GECradleaddonskysettings2_zpsff3ad116.png

I think there's even a little less fog than in the original settings. Actually my new settings don't make the level look any different from EternallyAries' on emu.
On console there are some minor issues I wasn't able to solve. There are some objects such as doors, hats and glasses from guards, and some decalas that flicker and let you see what's behind. I think it's because of the Blend Mult value. I have set it at 6, but when I rise it or lower it things get even worse! I guess if Visibility isn't 1.0 these things can happen.

I made two videos from console (sorry for the bad quality):
Original EternallyAries' -> http://youtu.be/TQYGZoKJfpY
New sky settings -> http://youtu.be/AWTU1PzxjQM

I think my settings don't change level on emu from the original patch. EternallyAries, you can test it and update patch if needed if you want to do it.

---------------------------

Removing fog sounds tempting, but you need a bit of it to make maps look more realistic, hehe. Getting the right amount of fog is tricky, though.

Think of Blend mult. as the indicator of how fog is displayed. Something like this.
..............(Bond)---------------50% distance----------------100% distance
Value =1 -> 0%-------50%--------90%------------95%-----------100%
Value =10-> 0%-------25%--------50%------------75%-----------100%
Value =20-> 0%-------15%---------25%-----------50%-----------100%
Value =50-> 0%-------5%----------10%-----------30%------------100%

These %s are made up, but I think they help to understand how Blend mul. works with fog. If you increase the drawing distance (far fog) then you have less fog near Bond.

When you get Blend mult. to ridiculous high values it's like all the fog is concentrated at the 100% distance, so it's like removing all fog. However you'll have bad order geometry display, so it's not a good idea to rise Blend Mult. a lot.

Far and Near intensity works a little different. I said if you rise Near Intensity to 0x400 there's no fog (or almost no fog). I think this actually removes fog gradually as you rise the value, like the amount of fog is 100% at 100% distance when Near Intensity is 0x3E8 and it is 50% at 100% distance when Near fog is 0x3ED (made up values, again); and all the other %s depending distance are halved too.

If someone's going to edit fog I suggest he/she only changes 'Far Fog' first. If he/she doesn't like how it looks, then edit 'Blend mult.' at reasonable values and check there isn't any graphic issues. If that still doesn't look as he/she wants, finally edit 'Near Intensity', rising it little by little until it looks good.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That looks amazing with the sky. What plugin did you use to enable the sky to show Sogun?

Also the fog settings you picked, pretty much dead on for the Console. And I'll admit, the console made it amazing looking as well.

Since it seems, Blend Mult really effects the objects, and as well as the fog output. It might be the best to leave it as 6. Even if the objects do flicker. It might not be possible to fix that for the console.

I do have an idea though. I could mimic your settings for the sky/fog. And make it into a Console Patch. And add it as a second choice for players that use the console to play the game. And leave the original for emulator players.

Or maybe you can send it to me as a patch, and I'll wrap it up and put it into the Goldeneye Antenna Cradle zip. And add some more description to the Readme about the console patch version.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The plugin is Glide64, I thought everyone was already using it, hehe.
https://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/downloads/list

BTW, the author of the plugin is working on a new one. No release yet, thought: http://gliden64.blogspot.com.es/

You only need to change the sky settings on the patched rom. I think it looks very close to the one you did on emulator. If you think that yours still looks better than mine, then you can add a console.xdelta to the .zip.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sogun wrote:
The plugin is Glide64, I thought everyone was already using it, hehe.
https://code.google.com/p/glidehqplusglitch64/downloads/list

BTW, the author of the plugin is working on a new one. No release yet, thought: http://gliden64.blogspot.com.es/

You only need to change the sky settings on the patched rom. I think it looks very close to the one you did on emulator. If you think that yours still looks better than mine, then you can add a console.xdelta to the .zip.

Hm, I might get into the file, and add your sky/fog settings once I got time. It looks really lovely, plus it works straight on the Nintendo 64 with few flaws. But livable flaws. I'll check into it when I have time.

klobb
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had the same problem when I moved depot over silo's slot. The whole stage was very glitchy until I messed with the environment settings. I added some fog and it fixed quite a bit of graphical glitches. You may need a certain amount of fog to correct the graphics issues.
Because imps have ear wax and cats have lips.
sho is whatever it wants to be.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: