ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

*New Guy* Goldeneye GameShark questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HalfShelter1
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: *New Guy* Goldeneye GameShark questions Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys,
First time posting. I was wondering if you guys could help me with a
couple of questions? I've been playing goldeneye since it came out. Me and
my buddy still play multiplayer a good bit. I just ordered a game shark pro (has the port in the back) off Ebay a couple days ago (it came today). I'm mostly interested in new Multiplayer levels like the Street, Surface, Statue Park, Facility back zone ect. Will the Game Shark be able to handle all these codes? What can I expect out of the Gameshark? I really want to stick with using the console. I'm not a home, and the only game I have tried on the game shark NBA Courtside (just plugged it in to see if it would work) All I see is the Number 8 in the LED box, do you think I got a broken one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, you hit a funny one there ;*) Other games you wouldn't have a problem.

Some N64 games use a different CIC chip. In order for them to run with the GS, you have to start the GS using a different game, then select the appropriate keycode.

I'll refer you here, since they explain how to do it as well as what games require it.
http://doc.kodewerx.org/hacking_n64.html#using_gs_keycodes

Goldeneye doesn't need a keycode. If it hangs on 8 with GE, the GS probably just needs a cleaning. They didn't coat the prongs as well as they should have, so it's a lot like dealing with NES carts.

Yeah, there's more than a few codes floating around for custom MP stages. Wrote a few of them myself. If you happen to have a PC with a working parallel port you can do much, much more. All the codelists out there will require you have an 8MB expansion pak though, mostly because it increases the limit on the number of codes by a factor of 10.

I'll try to dredge up my GS's current codelist and post it when I get some time. It does some unique things worth mentioning ;*)

HalfShelter1
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey thanks for the link! I took a look at the link, I'm not going to lie, it looks kinda complex! I don't have a printer cable yet. When adding codes for the multiplayer leaves do you have to use a PC? I don't have a printer cable yet. I'm going to start playing around with it tonight. I'll be back tomorrow. Thanks.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Believe it or not, but a cotton swab (like a Q-Tip) is a GameShark's best friend. A good rubbing will usually help get the thing to boot up. Even ones I've boughten that were new and barely seen any use from me have gotten use from this technique.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

zoinkity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can type them in, it just takes much longer.

You only need PC comms for uploading large chunks of data that can't be contained in a codelist. Examples would be Citadel, full setup files not based on other ones, heads, etc.
It's pretty cool if you can get the PC connection going. There's even a NES emulator that can run with one.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Game Sharks are quite sensitive, and you might wanna keep it in a zip block bag when its not in use. Those Game Sharks has been known to break due to dust. And like Wreak said, wipe it down with a cotton swab, Those can be a life saver when it comes to reviving a Game Shark (No joke) Also If you are one of the lucky few who gotten a 3.2 version of the Game Shark, you would have more freedom with codes I believe (Correct me if I am wrong) Also to tell if you have the version 3.2, check and see if you notice a tiny sticker on it. It might say version 3.3 or version 3.2. Also big level codes won't do you any good if you input them by hand. If I remember correctly, the max is 255 lines? I believe using a computer to move the codes on over would help you more since that would allow you to add new levels much easier with a muitiplayer setup. Plus, it can also unbrick a Gameshark cart as well if you brick it though a code. (That is if you can get your hands on another game shark to do the unbrick)

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There was an issue with late version 3.3 hardware not being attached, but it is highly recommended to update a 3.2 to a 3.3 if possible.
(If you have a 3.2 I wouldn't mind having a copy of the BIOS though ;*)
They added a couple specialty types in 3.3 that vastly shorten up enabler codes.

The limit in a single entry of a GS code would be 63 lines unless I'm mistaken. You can have upwards of 250-ish on at a single time if you have an 8MB exp. pak. The actual number varies on the type of code, since it transforms these into sloppy ASM and shoves them in a block. Also, the 50- codetype that generates a bunch of codes doesn't make a loop--it counts towards the limit just as much as that many codes would.

I originally hand-typed mine until getting a PC to upload/download. It just takes time. You only have to do it once, then they remain saved.

I'd suggest using Krijy's MP enabler trick so you only need one version of codes regardless the number of players.
Some of the better stages are Wreck's Facility Backzone, Archives Backzone, Bunker I, spawn+weapon relocators for Temple. There's also 1-4 liners to enable two MP stages that were built-in but unavailable: Cradle and Statue.

Some stages are difficult about working at all. Frigate, Depot, Dam, Silo, and Control all suffer blackouts because there isn't enough free memory to load all the rooms at all the times they need to be loaded. You'll also notice obvious and heavy frameskipping if you play something like Dam--even if many of the backdrops are disabled. They work that way even without a GS.

You can also hack weapon sets and the like. Nice thing about that is there are actually eight weapon slots you can use, and ammo types don't have to correspond to the pickups. That lets you do silly things like hunting knives with throwing knife ammo, or taser with timed mines, etc. Somebody made a tool to automate it as well (D5k was it?). A somewhat comical one is made up of unused items:
hunting+throwing knives, shotgun(s), phantom, timed mines, silver PP7.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, if you scroll down on the main GoldenEye Forever page, you'll find some programs made by an old member named PaD. You can modify weapon sets, characters and also text. It will generate the GameShark codes for you automatically. Definitely can offer up some fun.

I had a list of details involving the code types and how much space they took up. Even SubDrag made a calculator that would tally up the space used by the codes pasted into it. It was 255.0 max, on a v3.3, anyway. I think enablers (DX) types used 1.5, while normal (8X) types use 1.0. Repeaters (50) use 1.0 for each write. It all adds up fast with those fancy custom multiplayer maps.

HalfShelter1
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys! Thanks for all your help! I cleaned the pins and it's working great. I just picked up my printer cable and am going to start uploading codes tonight. Can't wait to play some new levels for multiplayer.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great to hear it. Hopefully all goes well with the PC connection.

Just the other night when using one of my GameShark's, I had to use a cotton swab on it a few times. It's like a little field medic bringing it back to life. I wonder had I known this many years ago, if even a single Shark I thought was dead may have actually started up again...

HalfShelter1
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Update *question* Reply with quote Back to top

hey guys, so i down loaded the gscc xp. Im running it of my old computer that has a printer port in the back. For some reason when I click on the " Auto Detect Setting its saying " no device is found" im so close yet so far lol. any help would be great.

HalfShelter1
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

wait! i think i got it! didn't see i had to have the N64 and Golden hooked up with it. Very Happy

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know I've had issues with some of mine. One or two could only send or receive data, not both. Been a long time since I've connected them to the old computer. I guess ROM hacking and the EverDrive64 has kind of taken over. Still, I had a ton of fun with GameShark's over the years.

Let us know if you find success.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I brought my old site back online a little over a year ago.

http://goldeneyehacks.com/

On there you will find that I have compiled screenshots and codes of the 8 different multiplayer levels I hacked on the gameshark ages ago. Most consume around 250 lines of code.

HalfShelter1
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay getting back. Ok, here is where I stand on the game shark. The computer I have two old computers, one has Xp one has windows 98. The computer with xp will recognize the game shark, but I think there is glitch on my computer because I get the error a lot of the time. The computer with windows 98, I don't have a way to get the software on the computer. I'm going to have to think up something else. On the plus side, I did hand put the code in for the full facility. It was fun playing that on multiplayer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye 007 All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: