ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

AQZ spectator mode.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmax386
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: AQZ spectator mode. Reply with quote Back to top

So was reading thru some forums on pj64 today and came across this. I remembered some one asking how to play a single player game online but take turns, this tutorial might help in some way.

This is copy pasted from this linkhttp://forum.pj64-emu.com/showthread.php?t=1973&page=17

AQZ Netplay Tutorial
@bdent: Make sure you have the AQZ Netplay plugin selected
• Open PJ64 v1.7 >> Options >> Settings >> Plugins (input plugin)
If the plugin does not appear in the list verify that the plugin file is placed inside your plugins folder.

I'm glad people are figuring out how to use this. I owe a BIG thanks to AQZ for developing the greatest Netplay feature for an N64 emulator I have seen thus far.

I have been using this for a [while] now, and I've figured out most of the ins and outs. Anyone who wants to do some pro emulating with me hit me up! I am incredibly good at several N64 games, so I'm also looking for a challenge in the midst of this. I may not be quick to respond here, so here is my Skype name for convenience: rainshifter. I am usually the one to host, so don't worry about portforwarding.

Below is a somewhat elaborate tutorial on how to use this. I realize many of these things have been said already in this thread, but I would like to put emphasis on some of the features I discovered through experimentation.

This tutorial will probably answer several questions that any of you may have about AQZ's Netplay for this emulator. It's not structured very well, but it contains vital information, so I recommend reading through it all if you are experiencing any difficulties with this plugin or just want to learn more:

VERY IMPORTANT: TO STAY IN SYNC (I.E. TO avoid the DREADED desynchronization) make sure that all users connected to the server have applied the same ROM, the same SAVE (whether it be an in-game save or save state) and the same CHEATS (if applicable). Cheats are changed in game, so whenever applying a cheat try not to "use" it until everyone has that same cheat checked. And finally, be cautious about which Graphics plugin you use. I have tested Jabo 1.7.0.56 with several games and it hasn't caused any desyncs.

Commands and hosting:

After launching the game, the AQZ prompt appears. From there it shows the list of commands that can be executed, and there aren't many! It's pretty straightforward. This is also, of course, the prompt you use to connect to a server or start one of your own. Hosting a server that others can join requires your ports to be unblocked and active Firewalls set to accept connecting parties. Unblocking ports via router can be done using the method known as portforwarding (see portforward.com for tutorials on this).

Controlling lag:

So you have three types of lag:

1) Input lag: This is the frame delay between a button press and the execution that follows (e.g. Pressing A to jump and seeing the jump occur X frames after). The /lag command can be used to set this delay.

2) Frame delay: Sometimes the game will freeze at some given frame. The reason this happens is that the game must stay in sync, so the connection between all parties may be lacking with packets being sent slowly, resent, etc. If just a single player loses connection briefly, frame lag will occur for everyone. To experience full 60 FPS without frame freezing, increase the input lag using the /lag command.

3) Viewing delay: You may wish to play a 1P game and alternate turns between multiple players. In doing so, you would ideally have one person playing and everyone else spectating. In my opinion, this is the coolest feature this Netplay has to offer. To become a spectator, go into Options >> Configure Controller Plugin and uncheck the box labeled "Controller is plugged in". That will eliminate any frame lag you might put into the server. So any frame lag that would otherwise be experienced is then converted to a viewing delay, the time distance from live viewing. In other words this is the spread in time between when the player executes a move in game and the spectator sees it happen. Let me emphasize the fact that if you have only one person playing and everyone else spectating there will generally be no FPS loss - Full 60 FPS for the ultimate 1P cycling experience. Since there is no FPS strain from the network, the input lag can be set to 0 (command: /lag 0) without dropping the FPS at all. Incredible!

Passing control to another user:

Firstly, this must be done before the game is launched.

You can pass the Player 1, Player 2, Player 3 and Player 4 controller down to the next person in sequence by arrival. Obviously the person hosting the game is the first person in sequence to have arrived. As mentioned above under "viewing delay" one can become a spectator by unchecking the box labeled "Controller is plugged in" in the controller config. Doing this not only eliminates frame lag generated by that user but also passes their control of the game down to the next user in line. Similarly, you can have two or more controllers set local to your machine (activated in the controller config under the tab associated with that controller) which, in turn, steals the controller from the player next in line and provides them with the next controller in line. The player tabs are allocated local to the machine being used.

Here's a good example. Suppose I host a game and have three pals of mine join in for a 4P game of Super Smash Bros. The first person to join me wants to spectate, as well as I. So we'd both uncheck the box in the controller config. The third and fourth player to join both have a friend on their end, local to them, who would like to play on their respective machines, but on my server with the two said spectators. So they both would go into the controller config and enable Player 1 and Player 2 on their end. To recap, I would be a spectator. The first user to join my game would also be a spectator. The third to join would occupy the Player 1 and Player 2 controllers on their machine, and the fourth to join would reserve the Player 3 and Player 4 controllers since these two controllers are next in line after Player 1 and Player 2.

Utilizing saves:

It is almost always best to use the in-game saves (they will appear in your Saves folder) as they most closely emulate the actual N64 saving to the controller pack. Be sure that everyone has the same in-game save set in their Saves folder prior to game launch. If no save exists for that game, a save file will automatically be created upon reaching the first in-game save point (usually shortly after the game is launched). So if none of the connected users have a save for the selected game, you're good to go. Violating this rule of saves is one way to cause the game to desynchronize, so don't do it! It is a good idea to create a "Backup Saves" folder in the case that you plan to play the same game with different users and load the appropriate save. This way you can transfer your in-game save to the backup folder and label it with the name of those in particular who you are working with for that save.

The alternative to in-game saves (or to be used in conjunction with them) is the dreaded save state. I seldom use these because they aren't authentic to the N64 console whereas in-game saves are. But with save states, a save can be made at any point in the game, even during a cutscene. A few posts up, AQZ himself explains how to use these.

One final note:

I left out several minor things, like adjusting game resolution and other settings. But be warned, do NOT change ANY settings while the game is in progress with the exception of controls (set in the controller configuration option). Even passing down controllers during a game will not work. So check that all settings are correct before using the /start command. To change these settings, simply have everyone exit out of the emulator entirely and reconnect to a rehosted server. This emulator, along with AQZ Netplay, is not complicated, only picky. So follow the rules outlined above and you're on your way to playing the N64 console online.
Last edited by Lethal Dragon; 5th March 2013 at 06:36 PM.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Online And Emulation All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: