ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GEX 5C-i Official Patch Released! @ 03-11-14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Congrats on the new patch, Wreck!

I didn't have much time to test 5c and 5c-i, so I only checked the missions and Citadel on console.

I know missions still need a lot of work, but I found some clipping and portals issues here and there. I won't list them here, but if you want I can PM you with the ones I saw. Although I'm sure you already know about most of them.
In Citadel I noticed two things in the background that need some fixing, but nothing important regarding gameplay. I'll talk with SubDrag about them.

Hi-res makes the levels look gourgeous on console, but performance really takes a hit. That doesn't happen in the rainy version of Jungle, though.
The original GE levels also run very smooth with no guards and props. The only places where framerate was very low were in the dam, and at the beginning of Egyptian in the forest of pillars with the reflective surface. There might be other spots like the bottle room in Facility, the machine room in Frigate, the main room in Control and long views in Cradle that are slow too, but not as bad.
Anyway, I don't think GE:X is going to be slower than PD.
Ah, Depot sure was slow in GE:X, even in low res. I don't remember it being that slow in the original game. I wonder why.

Some sky suggestions of mine.
-Archives, Depot and Streets take place during daytime in the movie. The black sky they used in the original game was meant for dark fog so the player wouldn't notice poping. But maybe you should try changing the sky as a test and see if it looks ok ingame once the missions are finished.
-Same with Jungle, although here you'll be using rain, so it's a good idea to have a cloudy day.
-The sun in Frigate looks amazing. How about doing the same in Cradle?
-The stars in Aztec look awesome too! I wonder how Surface II and Statue would look with stars. I should check the movie to see if the sky is clear in those locations.
You probably don't want to reuse a lot of special skys to have more variety and don't deviate too much from the original. Maybe there aren't enough slots for all those special skies.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't really want to change any of the sky colours or fogging in the levels, since it's almost as big a part of the stage as the background itself. The only reason I made a new custom sky for Bunker i, was because the mission was missing a sky of its own. It, and Silo, share a default blue sky. The sky isn't as noticeable in Silo, since the roof doors in the tubes are almost always closed. However, it stood out like a sore thumb at the end of Bunker i. Now the two missions blend together a little more nicely.

The sun (and moon!) will be appearing in other levels. I think we're more limited on the moon, since it isn't setup in the sky block like suns are. I think it is four max, and the same is said for stars (which accompany it). I did have a moon setup at one time for Aztec, but it got moved out of place during testing. It might still be there, if you can see through walls.

Yeah, there will certainly be issues with clipping, portals and visibility in some maps - some worse than others. I know Surface i/ii is the worst right now. There are some other spots, like the attic in Archives and the back of the stairs in Control, that need clipping adjustments. I had thought of removing some GE levels from the mission campaign until they were improved, but kept them in so you guys can see that it is progressing. Remember walking through all the walls and railings in Frigate back in 5b?

Apparently the water animations in GE are in a different format than the texture animations in PD. For now, I set the Caverns water to use a style that slowly moves around in circular motions. It is hard to see, but if you stare hard enough, you'll notice it.

I think the eyelid door not closing all the way is an emulation issue. I didn't notice this on console, and I thought I saw the same thing with the original game. I, or someone else, would need to confirm.

The lights are still in Control. However, you need to use a Glide64 plugin to actually see them via emulation. There's information in the "readme_5c-i.txt" file stored inside the zip on how to set GoldenEye X up to properly utilize the plugin's features.

I do want to replace "Space Race" with another scenario, even if it's just a new name and different object models. It wasn't going to happen before 5c was released, though.

Hi-Res mode might look really pretty, but it does take a big bite out of performance. That will probably be no different than PD's missions. All depends on how much is being drawn on screen at once.

Secondary functions are possible, though difficult to setup. There maybe more weapons using right now than you realize. Knives, Sniper Rifle, Seeker, and Remote Mine all have a secondary mode. So it isn't being totally neglected. I know pistol whipping with handguns would be fun, but thinking of some other, possibly unnecessary, secondary functions for machine guns and assault rifles, could prove difficult.

The Experience of Love isn't available in multi. We already had to extend the music list in VR to include the two elevator tracks. The only bonus song is the End Credits music from GE007, seeing as PD decided to include theirs.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for posting your thoughts and concerns, everybody. We really appreciate all the feedback we're getting from the players. The things you say are always listened to and taken into consideration. Smile

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Aww, pitty you couldnt extend by another slot Razz

wow, I need to re-check, I never noticed stars in aztech.

OH, just remembered a bug report, Complex... the walkway is missing from the lower section of the spiral pit (Im loving the pits by the way, haha I use them to 'fly' to the other walkway Razz (Stick full forward + Strafe))
I know it wasnt in GE, but Im sure you added it to 5B making complex 1/2 PD and 1/2 GE.

As for suns, I do have a suggestion. I love the sun in frigate however the funny thing is that the level has no shadows. Archives Does have shadows yet no sun (I think the black sky would be funny with a sun in it Smile ) also I aggree that cradel should have a sun as it has a lot of shadow work.

As for the time of day, I thought it was aggreed some time ago that unlike the movie the time progressed more ingame for Arch,St,Dep,Tr.

I.e., Arch has shadows meaning day (sunny) (also, although black sky + sun is fine, didnt someone mention that sky could be blue with fog black?)
Streets is later in day and cloudy (no rain as no reflective puddles)
Then depot was supposed to be dusk/night with moon

in the movie it all happened in about 5 minuts hahaha

Ah the water is using the one from villa... yeah... we need to find a dual layer fast shift one, the slow single layer shift is not nice.
*by layer I mean Mip-Map level, not geomatry

I had a go at making a better fan but unfortunatly rare chose a very unfreindly shape... I would rather see 2 triangles with env-mapping on and a little cube in the middle (to hide the points of the triangle obviously) then make a similar shadow map for the floor (1 64x32 IA 3/1 type with mirror S flag)

Great work though.

Wreck, did you get my e-mail?

Trevor

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Trevor wrote:

I.e., Arch has shadows meaning day (sunny) (also, although black sky + sun is fine, didnt someone mention that sky could be blue with fog black?)
Trevor

If you want fog to be black you need to do RRGGBB = 000000 in the sky settings. That would make the sky black too. Then you could use a different color for the clouds, but even if you make part of the sky blue due to blue clouds, it will look unrealistic.
Perhaps a dark grey sky and blue clouds can simulate cloudy sky and dark grey fog be seen as dust. It's only a matter of trying it and see if it looks fine.

Drawing distance (far fog) should be higher in Archives if we change the sky, since you can already see the white clouds in parts of the level while inside the archives (long view in the penthouse and the corridors in the multi area from the backzone). I don't think bigger drawing distance will hurt performance because there are a lot of doors preventing rooms to be loaded, so if Wreck agrees to change the sky then I think it's worth trying.

As for secondary geometry order, depending of the case it's very easy to fix. The grid above the fan in Archives is the easiest case; just select the tris with the grid texture and do 'Triangle tools' -> 'To begin'.
I think Rare didn't bother about secondary order in GE, but in PD they tried to fix almost all of it. We could try to fix that for GE:X but some railings and crazy Cradle might not be possible.

Trevor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, the fan is an easy fix, what I was refering to was the fan itself being pixleated because rare chose a very curvy shape with different lighting on each side so can even use a mirror flag.

I made a 128x64 IA 3/1 for it but it didnt improve the edges much, add that to no mip-mapping and it was worse.

Thats why I suggested a geomatry version like we have in GF (LLOD is image if sub kept it)

Trev

Jhirmer614
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You just had to mention Goldfinger 64 didn't you...

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jhirmer614 wrote:
You just had to mention Goldfinger 64 didn't you...

Hopefully he's trying to build up suspense for the release of Goldfinger 64!

According to Wikipedia, the 17th of September 1964 saw the premiere of the film, so I'm assuming (hoping) that they're aiming for the that date this year (the fiftieth anniversary of the film) for release of the mod. But they're being as quiet about it as Rare were, so we don't know for definite.

But it will be brilliant if they can finish it for the fiftieth anniversary! And it would be a great tribute to the film too. Especially since it doesn't look likely that there'll be a good, commercial Bond game released any time Sad

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with you totally about the "good commercial bond game" bit! I have often wondered how different GE would be if the book was followed more than the movies - it'd probably play more like Thief if that was the case!

As for the release date...guess that's when I should be looking at buying a replacement computer then!

QuaidShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome work you done there, Wreck!
It just getting better and better! Smile

But has anyone the same problem like me?
I believe this has nothing to do specify with Goldeneye X, more like with the Perfect Dark Rom itself.
Everytime the game goes from Main Menu to a level or vice versa it just stuck for 15 seconds. There is no crash but just this 15 seconds loading.

I just wonder if this is normal and somebody have this also.
I use Project 64 2.1. Is there maybe a better solution to play GoldeneyeX
or Perfect Dark on a PC?
I heard about this 1964 but it was never any better than Project64.
Then i saw also 1964(60FPS)??? Is this better than the current 1964?
Thanks for any advice! Very Happy

PS: I have a very good computer and i know that my hardware is not the problem!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I used to have random crashing issues even with Perfect Dark via emulation. Usually in the Combat Simulator menu, either when setting up a character, or when attempting to begin a match. The delay between loading a multi or mission level and going into the Carrington Institute sounds common enough. The game is trying to load various different assets, like background, clipping and objects. Emulation seems to take a bit longer to pull this off than console, but even there you'll notice minor delay.

I do think the 1964 60FPS version handles the transition better, though. I only have limited experience with it, but it did seem like a very nice emulator. You should certainly try it out for yourself. Just remember, like any emulator, you need to update the ROM settings for GoldenEye X.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I love emulators, and emulate many different computers and consoles, but the N64 is the only machine whose emulation I've never been satisfied with*. It didn't bother me much, as I have an N64 and all of the games I want, but when I discovered Goldeneye X, and found that I couldn't emulate it well enough, I decided to buy a backup cartridge (an Everdrive 64, in my case;

http://s9.zetaboards.com/Nintendo_64_Forever/topic/7360089/

http://micro-64.com/features/everdrive64.shtml

), and it's proven to be well worth the money, as not only can I play Goldeneye X on my N64, I can play other game mods and unreleased games too, and keep all N64 games (you can play any region games on the N64, as long as your television supports it) on one cartridge, via the Everdrive's SD card. I can't recommend it enough.

* Well, emulation of the original XBox** is currently unusable, but I'm happy to use my real original XBox, so the (very) primitive state of XBox emulators doesn't bother me.

** Don't you hat the way you have to say "original XBox" instead of XBox 1, when referring to the first XBox, since Microsoft chose to call the XBox 3 the "XBox One"? Typical Microsoft, preferring to pretend their old products don't exist, and expecting everyone to buy the newer products, even if they are inferior to the older ones (well, of course the XBox One is not inferior to the original XBox im most ways, but at the moment, it's software library is hugely inferior to the original XBox).

QuaidShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, after trying 1964 (60FPS V.3), i decided to stick with that, because i can overclock this emulator and after that, i get 50-60 FPS on Cradle even with 10 Bots!
I also have an Everdrive64, but i just like to use my Mouse and Razer Orbweaver. Wink

PS: Wreck, did you choose to remove the Cradle dish (this thing with the ladder) in the Multiplayer version? Was that necessary because of some limitations?

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

QuaidShot wrote:
Well, after trying 1964 (60FPS V.3), i decided to stick with that, because i can overclock this emulator and after that, i get 50-60 FPS on Cradle even with 10 Bots!
I also have an Everdrive64, but i just like to use my Mouse and Razer Orbweaver. Wink

PS: Wreck, did you choose to remove the Cradle dish (this thing with the ladder) in the Multiplayer version? Was that necessary because of some limitations?

10 bots? Is that a typo or is there a way of getting more than 8 bots in Goldeneye X?

QuaidShot
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Of course i meant 8 bots! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: