ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Wiimote rumble effect with GEX?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninjayoyo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Wiimote rumble effect with GEX? Reply with quote Back to top

Hi!

I've just discovered Goldeneye X and sincerily, it rocks! I don't know how I didn't find out this new goldeneye before as I'm a huge fan of the original game. You guys did a great job and realized one of my player dream. Thank you for that!

With some friends, we played the goldeneye wii to see if the pleasure woul'd be the same as the n64 goldeneye. Well, the fun was there, but the game lacks of the old charm, specially the license to kill mode not avaliable offline and the bots from PD. For me, the real fun has always been the split-screen mode with 3 friends in the same room. One thing we really liked in goldeneye wii was the gameplay with the wiimote aiming.

Since then, I always wanted to play goldeneye64 with the wiimote.
I tried the not64 emulator for wii, and surprisingly, it works kinda well! I set the control settings to solitaire 1.2 in game and changed the buttons settings in the emulator to match the goldeneye wii gameplay.

The ir aiming is a bit to quick and goes a bit to far up and down, and maybe it should be set more accurately, but it's playable.
By the way, if someone knows how to calibrate the ir within wii64 or within the game itself, let me know! Even if it needs some programming skills: one of my friends has some skills so if you give me some tips, he coul'd understand for me. Very Happy

But the real problem I can't solve is how to use the wiimote rumble effect. I tried to set the wii64 settings to rumblepack, but it has no effect in game.

So my question is, is it possible to use the wiimote rumble thing in goldeneye x using the not64 emulator? If yes, how to set it correctly? As I wrote, if it requires programming skills, it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the grammar mistakes in my post. English is not may primary language as you can figure it out from my location. Wink

Ninjayoyo

Ninjayoyo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I've just tested goldeneye64 and PD originals roms and... the rumble effect works with the wiimote.

The difference with GE:X may be the saves handling in not64 emulator ( modified wii64). In goldeneye and PD you can save into the game (.eek files), and in GE:X you're asked to save to memory pack (.mpk files).
Well it seems to work that way to me with the emulator.

In not64 settings, you can choose between "memory pack" and "rumble pack". But you have to choose memory pack in order to load your files in GE:X. Then even if you switch to "rumble pack" afterwards, it doesn't work...

Is there a way to make the wiimote rumble effect work?

Ninjayoyo

PS: As I tried all the roms, I can tell GE:X works a lot better than the originals roms. It runs smoother and it almost doesn't lag. I don't know why but it's great! Very Happy

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's quite possible that the emulator has specific settings setup for each Nintendo 64 ROM. I'm not sure what it might be looking for exactly, but the product ID (or ROM Serial) could be an issue. GoldenEye 007 has "NGEE" and Perfect Dark uses "NPDE". However, GoldenEye X was given its own ID, which is "NX7E". This ID basically makes GEX unique, and allows it to have special memory pak saves (not shared by PD). There are other header values it could be using, as well.

Have you tried playing other GoldenEye 007 or Perfect Dark ROM hacks on the emulator? There are plenty on the GoldenEye Vault website. They should be using the original product IDs. If you can verify whether or not those work with game pak saves and/or rumble pak functionality, that might help determine the issue.

Thanks for trying out GoldenEye X! We're glad to hear you're enjoying it. Smile

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Ninjayoyo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Now I'm in holidays for a week so I can't do more tests with the wii. When I'll get back, I'll try what you said about the others hacked PD roms to compare the results.

But I still have my notebook with me and I tried a few things with mupen64. I read the readme file for the mupen.ini and I thought maybe the unrecognized rom coul'd be the issue. This wasn't a problem at first with not64 because it still loaded the game perfectly, except for the save settings into the game pack.

I think maybe the issue with the rumble effect can be a conflict between the "memory pack" and the "rumble pack" options in not64. So If I was able to save into the game pack and choose the "rumble pack" option instead of "memory pack", it shoul'd work correctly like it did with the original PD rom... Well... That's just a theory...

So I launched mupen to do some test. GE:X was loaded but I couldn't create a new save file. I then downloaded the mupen.ini from GEvault to replace the one inside the main mupen64 folder. It worked: I was able to save into the game pack like it was possible to do with the PD rom.

Do you think it's possible to insert the mupen.ini file from GEvault into the emulator, as not64 is just a better version of wii64 which itself was based on mupen64?
But as you know, not64 is an app compiled into a boot.dol in order to be launched in the hbc and I read that a .dol is a kind of .exe for the wii.
In the case it's not posible to insert something in it, I also have the source code for wii64 and noticed there is a mupen.ini file in the folder. So adding the new mupen.ini and compile the program into a boot.dol may be possible... The problem is even if it works, I don't have the source code for not64, which is a better version of wii64...

Basically, I want to make not64 able to recognize the GE:X personnal ID in order to create a game pack save.

But first of all, I'll try what you said.

I'll keep you in touch and post the next results when I'll be able to do some more tests!

If you have any thought or advice about what I wrote, let me know! I can still read the forum even if I don't have access to my wii! Wink

Ninjayoyo

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If there is an ini configuration file for the emulator, which stores the ROM information (product name, checksums, save types, etc.), than it would be a great place to start. If that does work for Wii64, than you'll at least know the problem with it for Not64. Hopefully, if you can get it going for the one emulator, you can manage to eventually do it for the other, as well.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Ninjayoyo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok I'm back from holidays and I managed to test what you told me about others hacks from GE and DP.

I've just patched the PD rom with the the kakariko village patch.
With the not64 emulator on wii, the issue was still the same : no game pack option allowed. I then tried to load the rom with muppen64 on my PC with the moddified muppen.ini file : the game pack option showed up.

I'm a bit confused because if I understood well, the ID should be the same since the game is supposed to be PD... The rumble effect worked with the original PD but not the moddified one... Maybe it's not just an issue with the ID. But the game pack option could still be the real issue.

So... The next test should be to incorporate the muppen.ini file into the boot.dol of the emulator for wii as I was allowed to save into the game pack when I tried on PC...

Well... I must admit it's a bit beyond my skills...

Sad

I could try to compile the source code I have for wii64 into a boot.dol, even if I don't really know how to do it, but not64 seems to be better than the original wii64. So the real thing to do would be to put the mppen.ini into the boot.dol.

Any idea how to do it?

Ninjayoyo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: