ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

N64 console - DVI/HDMI/VGA adapter in the works
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: N64 console - DVI/HDMI/VGA adapter in the works Reply with quote Back to top

If this product ever materializes, it could be the biggest upgrade ever to the N64 console.

This is the first I've read about this project. Apparently its been in the works for a little over a year, and the author claims to expect a release sometime later this year (Q4 2014)

Picture quality looks pretty amazing.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh I am so totally there! I've got three N64 consoles so one could really do with one of these! we would play the crap out of this!

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

"Error diffusion dithering" lol if only I'd have known ..

Really hopeful that Marshall can get sound signal goin , plus I wonder how many 64drives he has produced ?

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To be totally honest I read it and literally did a face palm thinking *holy crap! If only I'd thought of that!* really the only other step up after this is a modified CPU that is double threaded (I think that was the term) producing twice the framerate while returning half the ticks so that games continue to play at the correct speed.

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Forgot to add:
WANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANTWANT!!!

Seriously, I'm going to get this instead of a new console.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I guess this is excellent news for those who want to plug their consoles to modern digital TVs but there aren't any improvements from RGB in a CRT?

Most N64 games run at 240p, so with RGB image quality shouldn't improve (I'm not very sure XD). However, there are some games that in hi-res mode run at 480i.
If you could transform those 480i to 480p thanks to this DVI/HDMI/VGA adapter then those games will certaintly look better than in a CRT with RGB.

Can someone clarify this?

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay here's a FAQ: You can buy adapters at RadioShack, etc that will change plugins to HMDI. You can buy inexpensive converter boxes now that will convert analog to digital. I would do this FIRST before you spend money on something that may not even give you that much better resolution. Honestly an analog conversion to digital will give you an upgraded pixel resolution so I would at least look into that first. If his adapter works that's awesome just remember you may have to wait MONTHS after buying one before even getting it so it's a gamble with HONESTY and INTEGRITY.

EDIT: Yep I was right. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. Buy this for $20!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008S7EYW2/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm also hoping somebody can give us some clarification on this.

My understanding of the adapter is that you would solder it to your board before any signal processing is done (ie, before it is initially converted from analog to digital), so in theory it should be a cleaner signal.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@BMW: that was my understanding also. Although I was thinking about direct signal processing last night like MultiX suggested.

Frequently I also wonder about a screen splitter box that would give each person their own TV...do those exist?

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Since I'm a little impatient and just itching to pull my n64 out of storage (where its been for several years) and I want something better than the composite output, I purchased the following:

N-64 to S-video adapter
TVB-350 S-video to VGA upscaler + de-interlacer

I will hook these up to my N64 and connect a VGA to 5-BNC cable to the 2nd input on my 22-inch Philips flat-screen CRT monitor.

I will let you know how it looks once my above 2 parts arrive and I get everything hooked up.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do tell us how they go! The reviews for these products seem to be really hit and miss and the ones that get above a 50% average score are always cruising along at the $300 mark which is crazy expensive when you think about it.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bmw wrote:
Since I'm a little impatient and just itching to pull my n64 out of storage (where its been for several years) and I want something better than the composite output, I purchased the following:

N-64 to S-video adapter
TVB-350 S-video to VGA upscaler + de-interlacer

I will hook these up to my N64 and connect a VGA to 5-BNC cable to the 2nd input on my 22-inch Philips flat-screen CRT monitor.

I will let you know how it looks once my above 2 parts arrive and I get everything hooked up.

Trust the B!!! Wink I'd go with BMW. He's been around as long as me and the cat really knows how to troubleshoot gamers issues. Miss seeing you on here more B! Hey what happened to your RUNWAY map? That thing was epic! Love to see the Frigate modelled into Dam That was a cool concept bro Very Happy

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The TVB-350 I scored new for $49. The next model up, the TVB-400, goes for over $600 new on ebay, and as far as features go, it appears to be identical to the TVB-350 with regards to its ability to handle an S-video signal. The only things the 350 can't do that the 400 can are de-interlace component inputs and scale VGA inputs, so for $49 bucks I'm hoping I hit a home run with this device.

The N64 to S-video conversion I know can be very hit or miss, especially if you buy cables that are made in China and have both Composite and S-video in the same cable. The only 2 cables I've found that have solid reviews are ones made by Monster and an official Nintendo cable released only overseas, both of which cost $50 to $100. The item I purchased was claimed to be "custom made" and from the pictures it looks well-made so I was willing to take a gamble at $23.

MX: I've gotten so busy with my job that I just haven't had time to hack, and also to be honest, I have lost some amount of interest in doing it anymore. That said, the mood may strike me some day to take back up my runway map (I still have all the source files). I do need to finish my multiplayer map (padded room) that I worked on last year - its like 90 percent done but I got really sick and just never finished it after that.

And LOL I totally forgot about the Frigate into Dam concept. I'll post the screenshot for the people who weren't here when I originally posted this stuff way back when. I know its off-topic, but the screenshots are so epic they deserve to be re-posted....

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WOW, Frigate exterior and Dam at the same time. Framerate should be abyssal. Shocked
I wonder how that works in real hardware.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lol wow B. So can we play this? When were you thinking of releasing this beast? And is it in Solo or Multi?

**RETIRED?** Wink I said the same thing then after getting really messed over by a job I put my soul into I found myself coming back now that I'm trying to go back to school. Once it starts I'll have to slow down again. I really was going to retire myself then the games sucked me back in. Laughing Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: