ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community


In your opinion, how does this game compare to GoldenEye 007
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent


Joined: 29 Mar 2014
Posts: 305
Location: Canada

 PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: In your opinion, how does this game compare to GoldenEye 007 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Prefect Dark has a lot of features and improves when compared to GoldenEye, and is more polished in some areas. It's actually one of my favorite FPS games of all time,

But no game is legitimately prefect, even if the title says it. Here's some weak areas in this game IMO.

-The level design is awkward. GoldenEye had smi-linear and small levels. But this game feels like a mess with it's levels, as it doesn't connected at times.

-The framerate. Do I need to say anything about it? Everyone probably knows the N64 version has a sluggish framerate by now.

-Music. I actually don't really like the choice with the music taste. But that's just an opinion.

-Weapons feel rather un-creative. The only weapon I thought were pretty cool was the Phoenix, Laptop gun, and Farsight. The rest are just GoldenEye reskins. As:

Falcon 2 = PP7

K7 avenger = KF7

CMP150 = ZMG

RC-P120 = RCP90

And so.
_________________
This is a signature, why did you read this?
 
View user's profile Send private message
Sogun
General
General


Joined: 15 Dec 2010
Posts: 610
Location: Valencia, Spain

 PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I feel like it's the third or fourth time I answer a topic like this, but it never gets old!
IMO Perfect Dark is overall far better than GoldenEye. If I had to choose between the two I would pick PD withtout doubt. However, it's true that Perfect Dark doesn't excel GoldenEye in every way.

You are right about the level design. Even if Perfect Dark levels are bigger and very well designed, it seems there aren't levels as good as the best in GE (Frigate and Archives for me). The closest things would be Villa, Air Base and Carrington Institute.
Although I also think that overall level design is still better in PD. At least there aren't any level like Runway, hehe.
The only downside is that they reused backgrounds for some of the levels (DD building, Area 51, and you can even count Carrington Institute).

Framerate... If you play PD in low res I don't think it's very different from GE. It's true that there are some spots like Villa outside or when you are opening the safe in the G5 building where framerate drops a lot, but it happens in GE too (Streets, Jungle, Cradle...).
Hi-res PD is another matter.

About the music. Since they had the movies as reference it was easier to find the beat that fits GE. PD music is very good too but it doesn't sound that familiar. However, themes like Chicago, Air Base X, Pelagic II and the Credits are part of the best tunes in any N64 game.
Does GE have stereo sound? I tried to find the option the other day and couldn't find it. XD

Uncreative weapons? Really? I think this is one of the features where PD is far superior. The primary fire might be too similar to GE (and GE had lots of guns but many were very similar from each other), but where PD really shines is when secondary fire comes to play.
It's true that some secondary modes aren't as cool as others, but there are like 40 different wapons!
What about the Slayer? Psycosis? RCP-120 with cloaking? CMP-150 and autotrack?
They could have added crazy weapons, but PD isn't Quake or Unreal Tournament. Yet, I miss a tazer, and electric gun like in JFG or a flamethrower, hehe.

Oh, and contrary of most people I like the dizzing effect and disarm features. I would change them a bit, though. Like if you use disarm you can't harm and stunt your opponent.
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MultiplayerX
007
007


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 1096
Location: USA

 PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sogun wrote:
I feel like it's the third or fourth time I answer a topic like this, but it never gets old!
IMO Perfect Dark is overall far better than GoldenEye. If I had to choose between the two I would pick PD withtout doubt. However, it's true that Perfect Dark doesn't excel GoldenEye in every way.

You are right about the level design. Even if Perfect Dark levels are bigger and very well designed, it seems there aren't levels as good as the best in GE (Frigate and Archives for me). The closest things would be Villa, Air Base and Carrington Institute.
Although I also think that overall level design is still better in PD. At least there aren't any level like Runway, hehe.
The only downside is that they reused backgrounds for some of the levels (DD building, Area 51, and you can even count Carrington Institute).

Framerate... If you play PD in low res I don't think it's very different from GE. It's true that there are some spots like Villa outside or when you are opening the safe in the G5 building where framerate drops a lot, but it happens in GE too (Streets, Jungle, Cradle...).
Hi-res PD is another matter.

About the music. Since they had the movies as reference it was easier to find the beat that fits GE. PD music is very good too but it doesn't sound that familiar. However, themes like Chicago, Air Base X, Pelagic II and the Credits are part of the best tunes in any N64 game.
Does GE have stereo sound? I tried to find the option the other day and couldn't find it. XD

Uncreative weapons? Really? I think this is one of the features where PD is far superior. The primary fire might be too similar to GE (and GE had lots of guns but many were very similar from each other), but where PD really shines is when secondary fire comes to play.
It's true that some secondary modes aren't as cool as others, but there are like 40 different wapons!
What about the Slayer? Psycosis? RCP-120 with cloaking? CMP-150 and autotrack?
They could have added crazy weapons, but PD isn't Quake or Unreal Tournament. Yet, I miss a tazer, and electric gun like in JFG or a flamethrower, hehe.

Oh, and contrary of most people I like the dizzing effect and disarm features. I would change them a bit, though. Like if you use disarm you can't harm and stunt your opponent.


I couldn't agree more with So. 00Dark hacked such a NEEDED All Solos in Multi on this. I still can't believe we can play the entire game FLAWLESSLY in multiplayer. The flow of gameplay is so much smoother. The weapons are EPIC. The environments are ORIGINALLY AMAZING. The music is something worthy of an oscar nomination. If it was recreated EXACTLY like it is in todays graphics and the score upgraded with today's synths and full orchestra I would start a company dedicated to porting only the GREATS to PC , etc. Truly the BEST game ever made by Rare for N64 besides Ocarina, Banjo, GE, and Jet Force Gemini. Rare was 20 years ahead of the gaming industry when they first started. I MISS the passion they used to put into imagination.
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kerr Avon
007
007


Joined: 26 Oct 2006
Posts: 757

 PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: In your opinion, how does this game compare to GoldenEye Reply with quote Back to top

I think PD is better than GE in almost every way, though GE does have better atmosphere, a better booting screen (PD's bit where the N (for the N64) changes into PD is great, but you can't beat Goldeneye's fake movie certification screen, the Bond music kicking in, and Bond's traditional walking on and shooting, viewed through the gun barrel).


[quote="Fillerthefreak"]I think Prefect Dark has a lot of features and improves when compared to GoldenEye, and is more polished in some areas. It's actually one of my favorite FPS games of all time,

But no game is legitimately prefect, even if the title says it. Here's some weak areas in this game IMO.

-The level design is awkward. GoldenEye had smi-linear and small levels. But this game feels like a mess with it's levels, as it doesn't connected at times.Mezmorize


I don't think the levels are messy, but I agree that the progression from one level to another often feels disjointed, and not part of one coherent storyline. What I mean is, going from the dataDyne tower at night to the Villa at day, to Chicago, to Area 51, etc, doesn't entirely gel as a storyline (though I think this would largely be helped if they'd bothered to show the locations before you get there - i.e. show us the dataDyne tower from the outside, show us what the Villa looks like from the air, shows us what the Pelagic 2, the Cetan, the Carrington Institute, etc, look like from the outside, so we can imagine that we are going in to continue the story).

But I do agree that overall the level design in Goldeneye is better than in PD, but I still think PD's is mostly very good.






Quote:

-The framerate. Do I need to say anything about it? Everyone probably knows the N64 version has a sluggish framerate by now.

-Music. I actually don't really like the choice with the music taste. But that's just an opinion.


The framerate is poor, true (on the N64, not the XBox 360 version), but so is the Goldeneye framerate, and when you're used to it it's not a problem.

I also like most of the music tracks in PD and GE. What I don't like in PD is the (mis)attempted humour around Elvis, as it's not only not funny, but is embarrassingly bad. Plus some of the voice acting isn't too good, not terrible, but not great either.

And to me, the Car Park multiplayer level always felt incomplete, as though they'd run out of time before they could finish it. And saying that, there are parts of single player levels that might have been intended to do more if only Rare had had the time to finish them, such as the bar in Chicago Stealth, the observatory in Villa, and quite a lot of the uninhabited areas of Crash Site.


Quote:

-Weapons feel rather un-creative. The only weapon I thought were pretty cool was the Phoenix, Laptop gun, and Farsight. The rest are just GoldenEye reskins. As:

Falcon 2 = PP7

K7 avenger = KF7

CMP150 = ZMG

RC-P120 = RCP90

And so.


I certainly don't agree here. Yes, many of the weapons look like other weapons, but I'd imagine weapons pretty much do anyway, as they are often just improved versions of earlier weapons. At least in PD you can tell what a weapon is just by looking at it, unlike in the Medal of Duty franchises, where unless you're a military buff the weapons are hard to distinguish for many players. And in PD the weapons often vary massively in their secondary functions, too.

BTW, I also lke the disarm and blurr features, though I wish you could turn them off for people who don't.
 
View user's profile Send private message
kwakkles
Agent
Agent


Joined: 11 May 2008
Posts: 61
Location: Detroit, Michigan

 PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: lame story Reply with quote Back to top

The #1 area where PD fails in comparison to GE is that PD has a super lame story. Rare should have made PD first then GE second.

The one redeeming quality that PD has head and shoulders above GE is PD's combat simulator, which has nothing to do with the story.
 
View user's profile Send private message
Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker


Joined: 23 Mar 2007
Posts: 3056

 PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

GoldenEye has much better level design, both single player and multi. I also felt PD's difficulty was probably a notch too high on PA, it felt pretty unfair at times. And yeah, the story wasn't that great if you really analyze parts of it.
 
View user's profile Send private message
MRKane
007
007


Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Posts: 907

 PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I like them both but just prefer Goldeneye - no greater reason, no fancy dressing...just personally prefer it Smile
_________________
No Mr. Bond, I expect you to be re-coded!
 
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
fantsu
007
007


Joined: 30 Apr 2007
Posts: 1003

 PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

PD over GE for me, but they both have their flaws.
But the good things are:

Positive things in PD:
- Much, much better multiplayer.
- Better weapons overall and weapon handling.
- Fun gadgets, camspies and such.
- More replay value.
- More blood.
- Interesting story and locations.
- Harder.

Positive things in GE:
- Music is little bit better.
- Great single player campaign level design.
- Some great multiplayer arenas.
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rey
007
007


Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Posts: 777
Location: US

 PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I love them both however PD wins for me. You can do so much more in the game is much fun. 8 Sims back then in one place was huge! It had one custom story crazy enemies and also nice weather. The lighting was great. Perfect for me never truly lagged only when Enemy Rockets Villa near the shore. And also sometimes at temple when there are EXPLOSIONS every were. I might be the only one who hates this....but I don't like how in Goldeneye every weapon can be held as a duel combo. Also...Cut weapons from the game that you really can't use always bothered me.
PD ALL THE WAY Exclamation Exclamation Very Happy Cool
_________________
www.youtube.com/gamerrey23
 
View user's profile Send private message
MultiplayerX
007
007


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 1096
Location: USA

 PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rey wrote:
I love them both however PD wins for me. You can do so much more in the game is much fun. 8 Sims back then in one place was huge! It had one custom story crazy enemies and also nice weather. The lighting was great. Perfect for me never truly lagged only when Enemy Rockets Villa near the shore. And also sometimes at temple when there are EXPLOSIONS every were. I might be the only one who hates this....but I don't like how in Goldeneye every weapon can be held as a duel combo. Also...Cut weapons from the game that you really can't use always bothered me.
PD ALL THE WAY Exclamation Exclamation Very Happy Cool


Cool I COMPLETELY agree. If I could find someone in my area that would play 2 or 4 player with Sims on PD we'd order pizza, beer,and plan a sleepover all nighter old school game party Very Happy
_________________
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rey
007
007


Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Posts: 777
Location: US

 PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MultiplayerX wrote:
Rey wrote:
I love them both however PD wins for me. You can do so much more in the game is much fun. 8 Sims back then in one place was huge! It had one custom story crazy enemies and also nice weather. The lighting was great. Perfect for me never truly lagged only when Enemy Rockets Villa near the shore. And also sometimes at temple when there are EXPLOSIONS every were. I might be the only one who hates this....but I don't like how in Goldeneye every weapon can be held as a duel combo. Also...Cut weapons from the game that you really can't use always bothered me.
PD ALL THE WAY Exclamation Exclamation Very Happy Cool


Cool I COMPLETELY agree. If I could find someone in my area that would play 2 or 4 player with Sims on PD we'd order pizza, beer,and plan a sleepover all nighter old school game party Very Happy


And if my desktop would not be acting up I'd join that party on Mupen and play Some PD. I would find you and have those crazy SIM matches. Very Happy
_________________
www.youtube.com/gamerrey23
 
View user's profile Send private message
MultiplayerX
007
007


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 1096
Location: USA

 PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rey wrote:
MultiplayerX wrote:
Rey wrote:
I love them both however PD wins for me. You can do so much more in the game is much fun. 8 Sims back then in one place was huge! It had one custom story crazy enemies and also nice weather. The lighting was great. Perfect for me never truly lagged only when Enemy Rockets Villa near the shore. And also sometimes at temple when there are EXPLOSIONS every were. I might be the only one who hates this....but I don't like how in Goldeneye every weapon can be held as a duel combo. Also...Cut weapons from the game that you really can't use always bothered me.
PD ALL THE WAY Exclamation Exclamation Very Happy Cool


Cool I COMPLETELY agree. If I could find someone in my area that would play 2 or 4 player with Sims on PD we'd order pizza, beer,and plan a sleepover all nighter old school game party Very Happy


And if my desktop would not be acting up I'd join that party on Mupen and play Some PD. I would find you and have those crazy SIM matches. Very Happy


For sure bro. For sure. Cool So just how well do those maniacs hold up on Mupen? Do they create a lot of lag?
_________________
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mistamontiel
007
007


Joined: 17 Apr 2011
Posts: 806
Location: Miami, FL, CUBA

 PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Unplayable better just to battle humans screw bots
_________________


 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Rey
007
007


Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Posts: 777
Location: US

 PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:
Unplayable better just to battle humans screw bots

Some one isn't good enough for them hahaha. naw joking. Lag depends on the persons internet and location. Server as well. Better to P2P for Perfect Dark. But that is not the topic of this thread so I'll stop hahha.
_________________
www.youtube.com/gamerrey23
 
View user's profile Send private message
MultiplayerX
007
007


Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 1096
Location: USA

 PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

lol oh wow well PM me REY I'm interested in that I forgot about the P2P feature I tried with 00 Dark and we had some issues so maybe you have more experience Laughing
_________________
 
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Cobalt 2.0 BB theme/template by Jakob Persson.
Copyright 2002-2004 Jakob Persson


Powered by BB 01, 02 BB Group

 


Please Visit My Other Sites: GoldenEyeForever.com | GrandTheftAutoForever.com

Got kids? Check out my Dora The Explorer site with games and coloring pages!

Our forums feature Nintendo 64 games, GoldenEye 007 N64 New Maps and Missions, GoldenEye Cheats, N64 Emulator, Gameshark, GoldenEye Multiplayer and more!

[ Privacy Policy ]