GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Zelda: The Legend of Link (NES hack)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Zelda: The Legend of Link (NES hack) Reply with quote Back to top

Apparently this has been in the works for almost 3 years, I just discovered it today. The final version was released last week.

It feels like a cross between the original Zelda on the NES and Link's Awakening on the Game Boy. Many features from Link's Awakening were programmed into this game.

If it weren't for the slowdown issues, you'd never know this was an NES game. Graphically and game-play, it feels like a 16-bit game.

So far I've beaten the first dungeon.

Here are 2 combined screenshots:

This may be the most comprehensive NES rom hack to date.

http://acmlm.kafuka.org/uploader/get.php?id=4706

PS - I've found that the IPS patch function of the Goldeneye setup editor works great for patching NES roms, so no need to download a separate utility for that.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for this, bmw. I have to give it a go.

I beat the first NES Zelda this summer and it amazed me the game is almost 30 years old. It doesn't feel like that at all (except you can only move in 4 directions and they reused the bosses several times).

I wish the next Zelda on WiiU has this kind of overworld approach where you can access most of it from the beginning.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That Zelda Mod sure does look amazing. I beaten the original Zelda way back in the day. And still till this day, this game is by far the hardest top down 2D Zelda game in the series.

This mod looks promising and I think I might just give it a run later today.

Thanks for sharing the information BMW.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Legend of Zelda may be my favourite game series of all time (a long with Mario, Donkey Kong Country, Metal Gear and Resident Evil), and it's really cool seeing people take so much time creating their own worlds and quests. I haven't gotten a chance to try any of them for myself, but I do plan on it. A buddy who owns a game shop in town even sells some homebrew SNES games now, and I know Parallel Worlds was one of them.

With Wii-U, I was able to finally play the GBA's Minish Cap, by downloading it from the online shop. It was quite good, and certainly worth the few dollars it cost. After completing it, I decided to purchase the original Zelda game from the NES. And boy-oh-boy, do I ever suck at it. It's horrible how bad I am at this one. I think it's going to take me some time to get accustomed to the way this plays... if I can get past the frustration it has been causing. Those three hearts sure do disappear quickly. Confused

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Zelda on Nes sure are harder than the sequels, maybe it's not you who's so bad ^^

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's a truly impressive hack. Been playing it on-and-off for a while, and honestly not sure how they did half that stuff on a NES.

Hint: count the colors.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The original Zelda...
So I found and beat the first dungeon... but haven't had too much success since that. Gotten into dungeons 5 and 6, but can't get far in them (lack of keys or enemies that currently seem impossible to defeat). I know the original NES game came with a map, which would likely help. Perhaps I can find a scan online of it. Some of the baddies seem to kill you incredibly fast. The boomerang is helpful, but when the screen is full of nasties, that only goes so far. I literally felt like chucking the Wii-U gamepad at my television on a few occasions, but knowing how much this stuff cost, I'd rather not. Razz

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've beaten both quests on the original, but its been a while (I'm thinking it was the days before the internet because I know I didn't have a map or an internet connection to cheat from). The hardest levels as I recall were level 6 with all the ghosts and level 9 just because of its sheer size.

Now Zelda 2 (Adventures of Link) is another story. I know a lot of people don't like the design of the game, but I actually actually don't mind it. But the difficulty is so far up there that the game just wasn't fun. I prefer difficult games over easy ones but that one was just ridiculous.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

^ This. Zelda 2 is a monster.

There is an overworld map in the game but it's an item you use. I think you purchase it from a shop, but don't remember who has the best price. The map itself is much more like the one from the GB game, like everything else.
The dungeon maps lie, which is rather nifty.

If you can't find the map online (should be someplace) I'll dredge mine up and scan it.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm having a heck of a time finding the red lantern. So I've beaten 2 dungeons now with my blue lantern and having to use it as an item in every single room to light it up ramps up the difficulty considerably.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Original Zelda NES...
The map helped immensely. I think the one I downloaded was the physical version you received with the original game. It wasn't a complete layout, as some sectors were missing. But it did show where the first four dungeons were, as well as some shops and people to talk to. Now I'm up to dungeon six, with eleven hearts, so progress has been fairly swift. I imagine I could have gotten there without the use of the map, but it certainly limited my frustration. Still, times I do sound like Andrew "Dice" Clay on a bad day. Those wizards (especially the blue type) are going to be a major pain in the butt.

Anyone know what the power ring is for? I found a place you can buy a blue one from for like 230 rupees, but I didn't know if it's something I should invest in or not. The enemy bait also looked interesting, though I wasn't sure how helpful it is.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There's a blue ring and a red ring. I can't remember where you get either one, but if you can buy the blue one, GET IT. It reduces the damage you take, but is the less powerful of the two rings (the red is better). I want to say that the blue one reduces by 1/2 and the red by 3/4 but I could be wrong.

Effectively, buying the blue ring is like going from 11 life hearts to 22 life hearts.

No pun intended here, but I won't spoil the meat. You do need it in the game, but I won't tell you where.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, thanks. I had a feeling it might have to do with damage received, but I didn't really want to drop that much money without being sure. I'll definitely have to scrape up enough rupees to make the purchase. And if I happen across the red ring, that will be another product to save up for.

So the meat does play a role at some point...
Guess I'll find that out as I get further into the quest.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Blue one is in a shop under an armos knight. If you're at the inland lake--the one with the dock to one of the labyrinths--it's on the right side of the mainland around it (if that makes any sense).

In quest 1 at least. If you're having this much trouble with quest 1 the second would eat you alive, like a zombie at a mensa meeting.

fantsu

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh the first two zeldas... the best ones. Still have the gold cartridges somewhere. They are pretty much the only zelda games I have loved so far. Awakening was great too, the story is so sad 'thou.

I have played like hundred times through the first two.

I never got into SNES one or ocarina of time. They kinda lost their charm at that point.

Nice thing that wreck gives a chance to the first one. It might be intimidating that you dont know where to go, but these games rely in adventure. Trying to find things out. Bombing walls, burning bushes. Thats the whole point, and when you do find dungeon, maybe even one that you arent supposed to be yet it feels like gold. Getting treasures from later dungeons earlier than you are supposed to is awesome. Also it is nice that the keys save from dungeon to other so they wont be such a problem.

I know the first two games like a back of my hand, but for some reason I always get messed up with the bomb upgrades (where to get them) between the two quests in the original game, dunno why.

About the meat... yes, you need that to get through the first quest. Of course you can also use it on any screen, it lures the enemies around it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: