ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Improving my facemapping skill
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Improving my facemapping skill Reply with quote Back to top

I'm really struggling with the hair. I totally **** it. I'm sure there'a a feature of photoshop that I don't know and could make the process easier.

The problem is the photos I used as a source had hair with lots of difference in color. Do you know how I could use a sample and apply it to a specific location in my head, so the color will be even on every side ?
I tryed to make a texture but you could obviously see it was the same pattern repeated all over.
Brush/blurry tools give the result I had, with flat color that don't look hair at all.

This was the color from the source, only camera I have is my phone and it's pretty bad, but I thought it's still ok since it's resized to 32x64 at the end...

Any feedback is welcome (negative critic too, I really want to improve myself at this).

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's looking very good. The face has been done quite well, so excellent work on that part. I haven't had too much experience with the faces, but have done a fair amount of customization to the bodies. SubDrag might have some advice. I know he had a few heads for the Goldfinger 64 project where the hair was tricky to deal with, especially with female characters.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That looks pretty good actually. Don't forget - it's much smoother on console, even some of Rares don't look great on emulator.

The first couple you do are brutally hard, almost impossible, but then it gets not so bad. The most important part are good source inputs - even lighting between pictures, and as few shadows and reflective/bright spots as possible. If you have even lighting, same source shots, it's fairly trivial. But it never is. If they aren't that way, the first thing you should try and do is adjust contrast, etc, until they get similar looking that way. Then remove glare, shadows, etc by using the clone tool. The last step I do, is import the head into Blender with the textures (and look at uvs so you can see what parts of the picture map to what), and then keep using clone tool to turn the sides sort of into the front where they touch, and darken/lighten brush etc, keep refreshing pics in blender until it looks smooth. Just be careful to not overtouch, or it will look washed out. Sometimes I need to adjust uvs too.

All that said, yours look pretty good, and you did the really hard part (lining it up properly). Lighting looks pretty even too. Some clone tool from front to side where the edge is will make it smooth. Note I usually use clone tool between 50 and 90%, although play with it, 100% is definitely going to not work.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you very much. You know, I didn't even know about clone tool. I'm greateful you put time to write the complete process to achieve the best possible result.

I tryed to find figure out myself how I would do it. Now there's lots of thing you said that I'm gonna use that will speed up things and improve the result without no doubt.

For the lol, here's how I did it :
-Take photos from face and side, same place & same light.
-In photoshop, open facepic extracted from game on a model that seem to fit
-Add mine as a layer on top of it and resize, transform, so eyes, nose etc fit at the same place as Rare's.
-Import to game, check the result
-Make adjustment, check result again
-Modify one thing after the other. "Okay, alignment of beard is wrong on right. Add 2 more pixel of grey on the skin."
-Check again using the old and great facemapper to import improved photo quickly. Adjust what's wrong.
-Rince, repeat tons of time.

It took forever doing it this way Very Happy
Now I'm gonna follow your advice, try the clone tool, and finally check result through blender (gotta learn how this thing work haha).

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nice job, AL64inthedark.

I did excatly the same process as you for my avatar, except I used old Paint instead of Photoshop, hehe.

One last thing that I would recommend is merging the front and side head textures in the same file and manually make the colors in the joint the same. Although this will false the textures a little.
Then, you reduce that image to 254 colors (256 can give error and I think 255 is ok, but I'm on the safe side here) so you are sure the colors won't change again like it can happen in separate images. And after reducing colors you can separate images again.
The downside to this is that sometimes the white of the eyeballs becomes darker. You'll probably need to adjust contrast. Do it when the pic is still merged.

There's another, more professional way, to do it.
-Open the Editor.
-Load any level and open the Visual Editor.
-Now do to Tools -> Model Editor. Load the rom with your custom textures.
-In the Guard tab on top select the head you want to edit. Press Edit button.
-A list will appear in the down left white corner of the screen. Press on 'Display List'
-You'll see the head, or part of the head in the bottom right black corner. Some heads are splitted in various parts, and also have a high poly and a low poly model.
-Select one of the display list and press the 'Edit in Visual Window' button on the right. Now you'll be able to see the head in the Visual Window and edit it.

I'll assume you don't know how to use the visual window yet, so here are som tips:
-Press the TAB key to enter fly mode. An aimer will appear on screen and now you can move around with WASD and the mouse. Press TAB again to exit fly mode.
-Press ctrl+H to avoid moving the model by mistake by pressing it.
-Where it says 'Hi Res Textures', click several times on it until it says 'Solid/wireframe'. This will make things easier to spot.
-'Where it says 'Edit Objects Mode', click on it until it says 'Edit Room Positions'. This is the mode where you can change geometry and textures.
-If the head doesn't have your textures, you can change them by rightclicking on the polygon with the texrture and select 'Replace Triangle/Group texture/Details'. A new window will pop up and you can change the texture for that triangle or for all triangles with that texture. If you need more help with this, tell me and I'll go into details.
-After changing the textures you'll notice that they don't match very well. you can edit their UVs by rightclicking on a triangle and selecting 'Open Vertice Menu'. Some triangles share the UVs on some vertices, but I think you can fix the textures whitout problem. See how each vertex has a color assigned to it so it's easy to identify them.
-DON'T MOVE VERTICES COORDS! It's a very sensible data and can break the model.

-When you are done editing the model go back to the Model Editor (Don't close Visual Editor) and press 'Import from Visual Window'. This will replace the old model with yours for that display list.
-Delete the textures in teh box at the middle of the screen and later press on 'Textures from Model' to update the textures. I'm not sure if this is mandatory, though.
-Now save the changes by pressing 'Inject into ROM and update'. Save the rom and load it again so you can continue with another Display List. You'll have to write the rom and load it again after replacing one Display List or it's likely that the Editor will only update the last Display List replaced. I don't know if this has been fixed, so be on the safe side again, hehe.

You'll notice that with this method you can "zoom in" as much as you want in the face texture, so you can really improve sharpness like they did in Perfect Dark.

Your head is already very nice. You only need to fix the hair with the clone tool in Photoshop as SubDrag suggested. But if you want to try and see if you can improve it try what I have explained, hehe. Wink

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Let's forget about the hair, I don't know how to do them yet (didn't try that much tho ^^).

I managed to improved things where the 2 sides are joined. I'm pretty happy now, I'll just improve the skin on the side cause I polished it too much before.

Following both your advices, you can do great things. I tought that low res textures in editor would be only for low computer, but actually it helped me a lot to see where colors were too different in contrast where 2 sides are meeting. And that made edges really obvious. I worked on that and tada !
Thanks a lot guys.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Looking sharp!

Another sort of "pro-tip" is to use art in your favour. In the case of Goldeneye I sometimes find that higher-resolution textures or surfaces with less compression tend to stand out in contrast - simply put: tweaking brightness/contrast, trying different palettes for compression might help "nestle" the images into the game a bit better now that you've got the mapping correct (if that's what you want of course!!!)

Most of all: Keep having fun!

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks. Yeah that's definetely things to try.
I have tweaked contrast a bit on this one, it made some nice detail appeared. Source wasn't probably ideal, but it's really hard to do (especially alone).
I used sun light at 5pm or something so it was not too powerful, but photo was still too bright.

Seem Rare did their outside too for the most part, at least I saw green plants and stuff on some photos.

It look really cool in action. I call it version 0.9 Very Happy

Too bad FXAA isn't captured on screenshots with Fraps. I hate aliasing Rolling Eyes Didn't find other way to enable AA using Glide plugin.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Fits in very nicely! Hopefully you'll be able to sort out the hair to finish this one off.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Could have been done already if I wasn't spending so much time playing Goldeneye X and solo missions Smile
I'm going to do it.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, well those are good reasons to put this stuff off for a little while. Razz

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haha my friends are so hyped by that. They start sending me pics of them so I add them too.

At the same time, while learning to create maps, I realized that Deled was a great software to edit the shape of the original heads. Possibilites are even higher than I expected first.
I'll start from scratch for my own face too because I can do better now, you'll see Evil or Very Mad
But when it's about UV tweaking, to me, nothing beat the Goldeneye editor. It is so well done and user friendly.

Learning to do things I found that GE/PD editor has a very convenient tool to convert textures to 24bits bmp. With just a click, a whole folder is converted. It works for everything but the head it seems. I don't know why the face textures just stay 16 bits...and Paint save them as 32 bits. Everything Deled hates lol

Oh and btw I'm sure this face is unused (PD), but I never saw it on the websites talking about beta stuff. Am I wrong ?

I can't stop thinking it's a trainee that was beeing told he's gonna be in the game but when he left, they just didn't bother anymore Laughing

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm no where near as familiar with faces in PD as I am in GE, but one way to tell would be to use the filter by model option in the Image Tools menu. You can scroll through all the head models and see which textures are used.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. And even though it does appear on a face, it not used for that model in game.

It's like the head "winner" for example, the wrong side texture is assigned to it in the editor.

But it is not what's in the game ^^

Beside this. OMG I spend a whole hour trying to figure wtf was wrong. I wanted to change the face texture on the head 53 (Stamper). There was artifacts in the game. I was struggling checking it is less than 256 colors etc...
But what was wrong, was that this head is using "image level" 7.
My texture worked on more than 10 different heads but not this model.

I had to switch the texture to level 7. This is really odd (probaby because I don't have a clue what "level" mean). Internet won't help understand neither lol. I can't understand why a 3D model would need a specific type of compression or whatever a "level" is.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're right, that image was wrong in editor folder - if you can export raw bin, and import raw bin, then save and overwrite in pdromimagesfull folder it will be normal (use filename 1F60C1E.bmp).

You're right, that head uses 0 levels oddly. That is strange. If you see on the bottom:
T[4609]

the 6 of that is number of levels. Your other head (0x38 ) is 4009, and that means 0 levels, that is strange.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: