ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Improving my facemapping skill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was browsing through my oh-so messy folder where I keep my modified rom, and remembered I worked on an alternative Natalya in september.
The left one is mine, right is original, just in case :p
Maybe I should polish and finish her next.
The image used is the same of Rare's, just with less editing, actually lol. I kinda like it. May not suit most of the missions (nice makeup for a jailed girl in a bunker ^^), but oh well...

I only bothered with face at that point, and even the hair part was cut and paste from the original. Now that I know more about things I may take care of that. The resolution of the side are 32x32, so it could look good if upgraded to 64x32. Or not...blurried might be the best thing to do after all.
Seem interesting to try nevertheless.

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Funny you should post that Natalya.
I actually made a new head texture using rares original texture hosted on GoldenEye Decoded website.

So its like my other head textures so there is 0 waste.

I never finished it though as I have other things to do first.

Trev

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That was one thing that did really surprise me about GE and that was the degree of wastage in the images. There's so much unused space and unwrapped texture! They also use textures for the left and right side when they could effectively be considered as being the same and so you've another texture up your sleeve for use elsewhere.

It could be considered laziness but there's a better chance that they just didn't have enough experience to properly map everything.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This was ~1995. Texture mapping was very new. Heck, 3D was pretty new.

Incidentally, mirroring left and right faces doesn't necessarily look right compared to a real picture of them. Many people have subtle asymetry in their facial features. This is why many games, to this day, provide full facial images instead of halves.
Don't get me wrong, it would look okay, but if you knew the person the difference is really obvious. These heads were their own cameos; it mattered they looked like who they did.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's true, I wonder if there was some licensing stuff associated with this also. I try to think back to when I started doing 3D (thanks Jurassic Park!) and what the standard was around then. Still, GE is a mixture of extremes - the way they do some things (for example object drawing) will probably be considered brilliant when the world moves over to voxels.
EDIT: Sorry about hijacking the thread!

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
That's true, I wonder if there was some licensing stuff associated with this also.

What do you mean ?
There's one thing I'm troubled with, is that they had to use commercial pictures to get their textures for heads. I wonder why they couldn't get photos of the actors on the set at some point, at least.

I would have tought it would be part of the deal. "Ok, we do a game based on your movie, give us the material we need, it include pics of face and side of the actors". Thanks Smile
They didn't had any problems about walls & things. I wouldn't be surprised is they were too shy too ask.
That's why some have weak side pictures made how they could, starting from the face.
Quote:
EDIT: Sorry about hijacking the thread

It's on topic to me, so don't worry about that.

Last edited by AL64inthedark on Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

Omegacop_jp
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do you know if you could make Joanna's old face texture, and turn it with the XBLA version?

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@All64: Yes, that's what I meant. There's a very good chance that these images were grabbed from wherever and just sort of pushed in. Back in the day scanning technology was painful at best and "use of an actors image" has always been a touchy subject Wink

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Omegacop_jp wrote:
Do you know if you could make Joanna's old face texture, and turn it with the XBLA version?

Eeeeek. Well, that's possible, but for sure, I'm not gonna do that. It require lots of time (I can't count how many hours I've put in Natalya this week for example), and I simply hate everything about Joanna outside of the N64 game. I like her when she's a believable girl next door. Sorry.

Well since I made a post, I think I can make use of the opportunity to show some work in progress ^^
I started from scratch from the same promotional picture as Rare, but went for what I believe is a more photorealistic approach, especially about the skin color which I like. I will still be able to tweak it later if I'm feeling it.
That said, before starting I've spend quite some time on photoshop and tested the result in Deled to see what looked the better, so I'll probably stick with this tone Very Happy ...

I'm spending a lot of time changing the UVs. It was a bit hell on earth at start, I'm still learning things, but I really like how things are going. I'm trying to map the most polygons from the face texture.
I fixed her right eyebrow which annoyed me since I looked at her in detail, it is now applied from that bigger face texture. Still lots of work to finish her.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Could do much worse like Joanna 's other face in PD Japan region l0l

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wanted to share something with you.
So I'm still progressing. I'm becoming a bit more serious about this, slowly, step by step.

Beside this, I installed a CRT TV again and played N64 with everdrive64.
It is really interesting to see how the console filter the textures. I like it, it has something special.

So, I played a bit with Perfect Dark head models, and came to this, with the same face as I did on the last page.

Good old way, picture taken from the CRT ^^
N64 impress me so much with the way it manage to render a 32x64 picture.
Too bad the NTSC Hi rez run soooo bad. Not that Pal is that much better thought. NTSC is the best for screenshots haha.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, that is pretty impressive.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The PD version looks great! Rare did a nicer job on the heads in Perfect Dark, since they decided to use more polygons on them. Generic heads in GoldenEye are very blocky, but still have a certain charm.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do someone know, and can tell me, please, if there is way to know how is called a new texture that you've added to the rom with the editor ?

I really have trouble with this. Everytime I wanna update a model (for a try), I have to texture it with knowned texture from the rom, then I have to fix the textures apllied to polygons in the model editor. It's kinda fastidious and takes quite some time.

TLDR : How to know the name of new textures added to the end of the rom ?

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, I've figured this out by trying mapping my own map. I named them by ID n°.

I've made another one recently. It took so many time but looking back to when I created this thread, I made significant progress. Feels good.
I'm glad the editor managed to fit it inside the rom as it is 217 polys or something and did replace one that was about 100 less. I don't want to replace main characters of PD (that are about 200 too...)

Some action, because he deserved to be killed with the trouble he gave me ^^

Since I modelised the mouth, it does nice effect when you shoot in the teeth. (clickable for high rez)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: