ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Improving my facemapping skill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You would get better results if you created meshes for the faces. It's not that difficult to do.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes he would. But I started like that too. Depending on your level when you begin, it could already be hard to just replace heads and apply them decently on the faces already inside the rom. If you come back to the first posts of this topic you will see.
This is what I'm doing today. But both still have some part that need serious tweaking otherwise I would have shared them here already.

Both have the same polycount as the duncan head. About 147 or something.
Also it bother me when I compare to the original pictures, that the heads seem stretched vertically. It seems like there's a fisheye effect be it in Deled or the game, when really close to the model.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, that's very good. Thanks for sharing.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, you really do a terrific job on your custom heads. Those high quality pictures go a long way, too.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks. Well to me it all depends on the quality of my reference.
Without quality pictures like that, taken for the purpose of 3D modelling, I just cannot achieve anything. The quality of them is very important.

And guess what ? I don't think they're that great. The lightning is very different on the front picture, between the side, which require then 2 side picture, which I'd like to avoid.
Once I'll finish work on them I'll give the .bin and all the files for people to add them to their roms, if someone want it to.

Right now, the first one has very short hair but that happen to look like white hair ingame (it's very tough to tweak contrast and things for N64), and the second need more work on top of the head (I took pictures that hide that).

Last edited by AL64inthedark on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Are you taking the front and side photos and blending them?

Just interested in your method compared with mine.

I did work out how to normalize lighting as you may have noticed in 006 on previous page.

Trev

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes I do blend them. And I did learned from your tutorial.
Only thing I can't understand with at all with the 2.0 technique to optimize pixel density, is when you say to subdivide and then move the vertex so they align vertically.
I really wonder if I could reach one step further doing this. I'm not really sure it would improve that much the quality. But I still need to achieve this to compare.
But man it takes times until that model is inside the game and scaled perfectly.

To be honest at the moment I do a lot of experimentation with my technique and not always follow the same method. Some models just go smoother than other depending on the reference, but blending is something I always do first.

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the reason I say to sub-divide is that some modelers strech textures differently.

The lower face for example is narrow triangles in front projection, so if you pull them out to make a rectangle they will be very stretched, and because they are triangles they will have the effect of stretching in 1 direction.
By sub-dividing you help the modeler to strech more evenly.

I have to admit though that I did NOT sub-divide Atternburgh (santa), I simply made rectangle, rendered to texture, re-applied texture map, resized texture, imported into GE.

Trev

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Currently working on that.
For some reason I procrastinated from all the things I'm working on (I have 3 weapon models, and 3 levels...) and did that.
Still lot of work to finish them but oh well, wanted to show something.

Brosnan is the same polycount as the original, I just moved some vertexs and the UVs. Sadly on the console, most of the views have camera too far and resolution is too low to really show off the model. It's still nice tho.

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Osama?

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Either that, or a dirty wizard. Razz

Brosnan looks pretty good. Be interesting to see how he appears in game on console.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yep it's Oussama.

I only have a few tweaks to do with Brosnan and I'll share. I'm actually very glad with how it render on console. I think the contrast on the original textures is too low.
But it obviously was one of the first one done. I bet B Jones would have loved to have access to the pictures we can have today thanks to the internet...also photoshop.

K1lo
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

heh that's funny ! Very Happy

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Brosnan looks pretty good. Be interesting to see how he appears in game on console.

Trying to make another at the same time. I will share friday night.

Mine is on the left. Right is Rare's. That guy look so different in Goldeneye than in other movies I found with him.
The only decent picture I found decent was the same one used by B Jones. kinda tricky to improve it. I'll work on color maybe later.

Right now it has the same polycount (75) than the original. I'll improve the geometry too because it's way too low.

Johnny Thunder
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

He President Baron Vahnt Kraic

Visit my youtube channel:
Johnny Thunder: The Revenger

Visit My discord:
Afterwards Studios

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: