ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Removed Perfect Dark Multiplayer Level
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omegacop_jp
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Removed Perfect Dark Multiplayer Level Reply with quote Back to top

One of the worst things that Rare did to Perfect Dark was to remove a Multiplayer level that was almost complete and ready to host multiplayer matches. In the screenshot below, you can see this removed level: it could have been the famous “Rooftop”, a multiplayer arena which was confirmed by Rare to be present in the earlier versions of the game, but lately removed for unknown reasons.

Looking at this other screen from the removed multiplayer level, we can see how the doors are identical to the ones in the Area 51 missions and even the colors / textures are very similar. This level had internal areas (1st – 3rd – 4th splitscreens) and some outdoors areas (2nd splitscreen), as the “Area 52″ multiplayer level or “Warehouse”. The multiplayer radar does not appear to be present, but is difficult to say since the screenshot is very blurred.

The removed multiplayer level is similar to one hidden area that is accessible from the single player mode. Above you can see a screenshot that shows this internal corridor near the hoverbikes, in the first Area 52 single player mission. In the final version, this zone has not changed much. After seeing screenshots of the beta multiplayer level, we can notice similarities in design and colors with this section of the final game. For example, see the ramps inside the corridor: it’s almost identical to the removed arena. We can speculate that the beta multiplayer arena took place in this section of the level, that for some reasons was cut and added to the single player as a little hidden zone.

Even in this screen we can see the same area from within, to notice the considerable similarities with the Beta Multiplayer level. If you never tried to enter in this area in the Area 51, I will try to explain briefly how to get there, so that you can see what I mean. First choose the part 1 of the Area 51 mission and begin to play the first part, trying to reach the zone in which you can find the various hoverbikes and a turret. Pay attention to the automatic turrets and try to get as fast as possible to the door which is on the left. If you get there fast enough, enemies will still be inside and if you wait for them to open the door, you can then sneak inside and see the area that was meant to be the removed multiplayer level.

Last edited by Omegacop_jp on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have a feeling it was just Area 51 in multi, but it either was too laggy, or the arena took up too much memory to play in solo (since PD loads the entire level on startup, unlike GE who loads rooms and unloads them as you go). I think you can actually recreate some semblance of this level using the setup editor (since it appears to be identical to the solo mission). Or is any section shown actually different geometry? Your speculation is interesting on the area being only intended for multi, but it's all guesses. I do wonder what part of the level was in multi, I'd think only a small section.

Rooftops to me, just based on name, feels like a different level; all told I can't discount your theory that it's this level though.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm fairly confident that the level shown in those beta multiplayer photos is actually the same Area 51 map featured in the mission campaign. They probably locked off certain areas, just like the solo levels in GoldenEye's multiplayer. My personal belief as to why it was removed from the Combat Simulator, is texture memory. If you were to try and load this stage in Lo-Res mode (without an expansion pak), the game would crash. Rare didn't setup any kind of "if player's exceed amount = don't allow level to be selectible" like in GoldenEye, or any other way to decide to lock a stage out from the list (like expansion pak related). That meant that this, as well as most of the mission based maps, would need to be dropped. Even having just one would feel out of place, seeing as the rest were all custom built for multi. Texture memory, level size, framerate, etc. They all could have played a part in the decision.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

speedruntrainer
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Holy crap! Can't believe I actually saw those pictures in N64 Magazine back in 1999 or early 2000 and always wondered where the level was, and other beta things.
It's really interesting to play those early beta stuff, even with the old ammo layout.

My YouTube: www.youtube.com/speedruntrainer

My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/speedruntrainer/

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/speedruntrainer

zoinkity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Area 51 is absurdly huge with roundabout 300 rooms, always loaded. There's no chance it would load on only 4MB.

As far as things go though, if they needed to test MP and didn't have any of the MP maps imported in yet, it's nominal to make a simple MP setup file out of a solo one.

Are any ammo crates ever seen in these images? Or obvious pickups? They might have just "given themselves stuff" like the equipment cheat/debug features in GE in order to take some promo shots.

Rey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, it's just Area 51 solo mission. I would imagine a huge drop on frame rate. The level loads all sections at once as many already know. As for Rooftop. My guess is the Ladder that can not be climbed in the Sewers Multiplayer level that leads to the top may have been that. Or if it is a scrap name for the top of the Car Park level on the top floor.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can see Area 51 multi in motion here.

Rare said Rooftop was not up to scratch. Given what did make the cut, I'm guessing it was pretty bad.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, Area 51 as a Combat Simulator map must go back further in development during multiplayer testing. Not only is the HUD different (ammo), but you can also see what appears to be some sort of reception desk in the entrance area of those solo images. Not even sure that object still exists in the ROM, unless it was BG constructed. The Mauler is held sideways "gangsta style" by two of the players, as well. Radar does seem to be visible, at least in the very top screenshot.

Omegacop_jp
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:

Rare said Rooftop was not up to scratch. Given what did make the cut, I'm guessing it was pretty bad.

I realized that on Perfect Dark BETA, when Jo shot the glass window on 7:42, they still had the GoldenEye Glass sound effect when you shoot it and did you see on 7:47 the walls?

Rey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah It started out basically as Goldeneye. Same bullet sparks auto aim feature, the walking. Even the late sound of getting shot and there heads being stiff when shot. The game had no reload animation.
The most interesting Beta thing in my opinion was being able to change how you hold your gun whenever you wanted. I believe it was said those were some type of defense stuff. Honorable mention is the many aliens in the MP Skedar level. Which I know was just a test level for Solo action.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dragonsbrethren wrote:

? I've seen someone else on this site say that the PD multiplayer maps weren't much good (I think it might have been Wreck, or Zoinkity), but I don't see it at all, I think most of the PD multiplayer maps were fantastic.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
Yeah, Area 51 as a Combat Simulator map must go back further in development during multiplayer testing. Not only is the HUD different (ammo)[...]

That sequence is taken from a very old source video containing the earliest known gameplay footage. That's how far back it goes, talking '98 here. I'd absolutely love to get my hands on the unedited video, but the chances of that are probably nil. I linked a ton of clips I could track down here:

http://tcrf.net/Prerelease:Perfect_Dark#Videos

(I'd love to get back to work on that article some day.)

Early Area 51 is pretty interesting. You can tell the basic concept of rescuing Elvis was already in place, and even the hoverbike is functional already, but it doesn't look to be a mission yet. Probably just an early testbed for the objects that were planned to be used in the mission. And it has hostile Maians that people got way too speculative about, heh.

Omegacop_jp
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm curious, have any of you tried to import and worked on the Magsec 4 Weapon and added to GoldenEye 007?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I worked on the CMP150, but there are drawing issues that would need to be sorted out. GoldenEye is more sensitive to draw order than Perfect Dark. SubDrag and Trevor would have more info on that aspect. Thankfully GE into PD is fairly straight forward. If my CMP port would have worked right out of the box, I'd probably have done more and released images and/or patches.

Omegacop_jp
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do they still draw like if they were in the early version of Perfect Dark?

Is there a screenshot to the one you're working?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: