ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Is Perfect Dark perfect?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kwakkles
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Is Perfect Dark perfect? Reply with quote Back to top

Is Perfect Dark perfect?

Imperfect dark.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Perfect Dark perfect? Reply with quote Back to top

kwakkles wrote:
Is Perfect Dark perfect?

No, but it's closer than any other game, before or since, in my opinion.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'd say the only thing PD lacked on, in my opinion, was good level design. Some people loved it, especially the multiplayer maps, but I didn't. Only a few stages stood out, with many others feeling too large or confusing.

I've really grown to respect Perfect Dark more and more since working on the GoldenEye X project. So many little details you fail to notice without knowing they exist before hand. It's a fantastic game, and easily one of the best FPS titles ever made.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I'd say the only thing PD lacked on, in my opinion, was good level design. Some people loved it, especially the multiplayer maps, but I didn't. Only a few stages stood out, with many others feeling too large or confusing.

I've really grown to respect Perfect Dark more and more since working on the GoldenEye X project. So many little details you fail to notice without knowing they exist before hand. It's a fantastic game, and easily one of the best FPS titles ever made.

Couldn't agree with Wreck more on this. Honestly we owe GoldenEye and Perfect Dark for making Call of Duty and Halo a reality. Both of these games were recreations of GE and PD in a more modern game engine with war settings instead of SPY. ;D Don't let them lie to you. We owe all FPS shooters to GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. PERIOD.

Dylan
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MultiplayerX wrote:
Wreck wrote:

Couldn't agree with Wreck more on this. Honestly we owe GoldenEye and Perfect Dark for making Call of Duty and Halo a reality. Both of these games were recreations of GE and PD in a more modern game engine with war settings instead of SPY. ;D Don't let them lie to you. We owe all FPS shooters to GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. PERIOD.

Meh, not quite. I think the Quake and Half-Life series' had a lot to do with it along side GE and PD.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Soldier Of Fortune 1 ;} South Park Doom

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Dylan wrote:
MultiplayerX wrote:
Wreck wrote:

Meh, not quite. I think the Quake and Half-Life series' had a lot to do with it along side GE and PD.

Quake opened the door for NETWORKING for sure Wink. Half Life owes Quake for what it is HOWEVER GoldenEye and Perfect Dark are the two games that all game companies copied the STANDARD into the newer FPS like COD and counterstrike. Quake was it's own engine design alongside GoldenEye for N64. However Wink GoldenEye was FAR ahead of Quake graphics wise AND with the gameplay as well. Quake was released before GoldenEye BUT didn't set the same standard for gameplay and graphics and that's why GE became such a famous game because all other games didn't come close to it.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MultiplayerX wrote:
However Wink GoldenEye was FAR ahead of Quake graphics wise AND with the gameplay as well. Quake was released before GoldenEye BUT didn't set the same standard for gameplay and graphics and that's why GE became such a famous game because all other games didn't come close to it.

I totally agree, yet there are millions of Quake fans who consider Quake to be (a) much more playabe than Goldeneye (and better than Doom, Duke Nukem 3D Blood, etc, when to me any of these games is much, MUCH better playability-wise than Quake), and (b) Quake (to it's fans) has a better 3D engine than any other game of it's time, even though Quake is mostly brown rooms and corridors, with little to differentiate the levels from one another. It has almost no background details at all, the weapons aren't too imaginitive, and I've honestly never seen the appeal of Quake. Doom, yes, it's a great game, and so was Doom 2 (some of the new enemies were great, and the double barrel shotgun was brilliant, but I prefered Doom/Ultimate Doom's levels to Doom 2), but Quake always left me cold. Yet it was Quake that got all the rewards (sales, magazine coverage, awards from both the industry and the gamers, etc), and not Duke Nukem 3D, Goldeneye, Turok* etc.

I mean, Quake had some great points, such as being easy to mod, having online multiplayer support, and the console (the brilliant feature whereby you could pause the game and type in text commands via an onscreen command line interface), but in playability it really lacked a lot, in my experience.

* I was never a huge Turok fan, but I always though that it was a much better single player game than Quake, well, except for the jumps that killed you if you got them wrong.

fantsu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not perfect but pretty close yes.
Considering when it was released it is top game.
It has its flaws, but every game does.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

fantsu wrote:
Not perfect but pretty close yes.
Considering when it was released it is top game.
It has its flaws, but every game does.

And PD still has so many things that are very rare or unique in a first person shooter, such as the ability to disarm someone, enemy A.I. that can use ladders, duck, call lifts (elevators) at any time (if these happen in any other game it's usually just scripted to happen at a given time), cheat modes that can alter the gameplay (enemy rockets, enemy shields, Perfect Dark mode, etc), etc.

On the minus side, the aliens in Perfect Dark weren't designed very imaginatively - the Maians are the typical 'greys' so often associated with Area 51 (so in the game it does, sort of, seem appropriate that they are there), the Skedar are common generic aliens, and we never see the Cetan's (an artifically created sentient spacecraft, that has been buried in the ocean for thousands of years) exterior at all, so we don't know what it looks like. I always think that the Half-Life games have the best designed aliens.

PD has a good story, but it's not well told (again, Half-Life comes out top here, as it doesn't have as good a story, but it does tell it extremely well).

The one vehicle that you can control in Perfect Dark (the hover bike) isn't much fun to use. The Halo games take the crown here, I think, as often the vehicles in those are very enjoyable to use.

But I think that PD beats the Half-Life games and the Halo games (and an other FPS that I've played) in most other areas, including enjoyment and replayability.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One major thing that PD lacks : Statistics. I mean stats from all games played.

I would really love to know how much gards I've killed since 2001 Twisted Evil
It would have been amazing to have stats somehow like the Smash Bros games.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, Combat Simulator stores all that data, but only if you've kept a player profile in use every time you play. Doesn't track your mission stats, but I guess they figured that wasn't as important. Would be interesting to see.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It could go even further than that. Accuracy for each weapons, % of hit to each body part, total & for each weapons.

It could keep track of the number of gards you made K.O with pistol whip, haha. That would be a good motivation to show some mercy.
I ALWAYS finish those with a headshot while they're lying on the floor. I wouldn't if it kept track of that for example.

Smash Bros is inspiring on the stats part. Oh and number of suicides of course. That's one of the thing I laugh the most about when I compare my stats in Smash to my friends.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I really wish that Perfect Dark was open source. Not only so that it could be compiled to run on any computer/console that we choose, but also of course so that it could be altered and improved.

Eastonside
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wish there was a Perfect Dark 2. Not Perfect Dark Zero, what the hell was that? I find PDZ boring as hell, they really screwed the style up. Cartoon style... really?!

Perfect Dark 2, imagine with today's graphics and the online possibilities...

Razz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: