ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Did I brick my second N64 o_o

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Did I brick my second N64 o_o Reply with quote Back to top

The last thing I remember was playing with Legends testing all the NONAME cheats in Citadel and then game hanging on Cuba .. the Jungle solo level was actually all there working but I think that small arena map really hurts ;/

I get the screen buzz, but just not outputting anything at all. 64drive , retail cartridges same "result" Embarassed

I must have bought this deck just in 2010, nice refurbished transparent-ish console for $50-$55 . I hope I did not just brick !!!

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Try blowing it out with a vaccume cleaner on reverse. We call it the "bay road tuneup" where I'm from. Usually N64s are pretty hard to kill, but in saying that I've just actually brought my forth and have some mods in mind (again).

Was yours an original or modified unit? I find sometimes touching up "new" solder can save things also.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I know, you can't 'brick' an N64, as there is no rewritable firm/bootware in the console, but of course an N64 can break in lots of ways, and your N64 could be suffering from many different problems. Try MRKane's suggestions, and also, if you have an expansion pak, remove that (and put in the jumper pak, if you still have it), in case it's the expansion pak that died.

Good luck mate, and if the worst comes to the worst, another N64 won't be too expensive.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have two N64s, including the original I received for Christmas as a child, and both still work fine. I've only just recently had some minor issues getting games to start up since I started playing Japanese cartridges on it. May be unrelated, though. The only consoles I've had die on me were a PlayStation and my Super Nintendo. A GameCube I once owned also had disc reading issues.

These old systems are pretty dependable, so it's strange (and sad) that you've had this happen twice now.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mine were by my own fault. My first ever one is still going strong, but the other thing I did think of was the possibility of an issue with the power pack - solder can become brittle as it ages (and I'd swear some of it oxidises or goes white with heat). Checking the "firmness" of that connection could be another avenue but it's not something I've ever come across before.

It's a real shame to have a console die - I know how you feel! :'(

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck, did you remove the dust tray?
It's a pretty common problem for people who do. A vacuum on reverse can clean dust out, and chances are it will act a bit less erratic.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I opened up the console and took out the dust tray so I could carve off the little squares that prevent Japanese and Euro games from sliding in (no dremeling, only cutting), but it was completely cleaned up and no dust or plastic particles were left inside. Games do boot up alright, but sometimes it fights me a little bit. Haven't had any issues lately, though I also haven't played any of my Jap games. Again, I don't know if that does do something temporarily to the console or not, but it felt related.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh my word , she is back. I just fired her up out of nowhere and a few more times too

Crazy. I was about to pluck the expansion pak out and back in with flathead too

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've discovered a bit about the breakers in the Power Supply Unit (PSU) - they're resettable but will only do so if the PSU is disconnected from mains as it's always live. It takes about 3-24 hours before it'll come back online again, so can be a pain when you're working on the console and have to take a mandatory break. Sounds like it might have been that Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: