ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

GE-X 5d-beta Patch Released! @ 01-29-15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 58, 59, 60  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually I found much the same - simple games look much better on my TV, and it makes 4 player split screen games just that bit sharper. Makes me wonder what else is left to discover with this console! And if you know me - I've been trying to bolster N64 performance for a while (so guilty as charged there!)

The perspective and positioning issues on the PS1 were one of the biggest annoyances I had with at console! Actually I'd have thought much of that would be on a game by game basis - still it makes it much more playable in my opinion =D

Actually talking of annoying: The blur from PD just annoys me but that's a pet peeve, would love to be able to turn that off in the options screen.

EDIT: So I've been left thinking "Was the N64 hardware considered so poor that designers used dithering or is it just a left over because that's how they did things?"

Trevor

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I really dont see the point, although it was pointed out to me on the everdrive forums that its a personal choice, but I love the AA on the N64.
I much prefer it to pixels.

As Zoink said, Dissabling AA in GE/PD has no effect on speed but makes them look horrible (In my opinion). Its why we have to correct things in GF because when some tris forget to do AA they are really bad.

AA was a hardware feature and is pretty fast, its not free but its neglagable and its benifits far outweigh the cost.

AA has 2 varients on the N64 and is done differently to PC's.
PC's are basically SuperSampling where each pixel is made from 2x, 4x or 8x pixels blended to average.
The N64 used a value called "Coverage [CVG]" which uses 2(or 4 in 32bit mode) bits per pixel from the 9bit ram (RGBA 16bit uses 2 "Bytes", each Byte has an extra bit used soley by the AA HW. 32bit uses 4Bytes therefor has 4 bits extra)
If a triangle partially covers a pixel it is assigned a CVG value of 0, 0.25, 0.5, 0.75 or 1, where 1 is complete coverage and 0 is no coverage.

In RAA (simple) mode the triangle is drawn at said pixel blended by the CVG value and only works for triangles drawn in order of back to front.
Does not work on intersections, only silhouettes

In AA mode a pixel is drawn in the same way as above except that if it is to blend with a previously existing triangle it can do since it reads the framebuffer (Img_RD)

Simple AA adds maybe a 2-3% increase in Frame time while ImgRD adds 10-20%. (Like Z-Buffer reading the framebuffer ram takes a long time)
With Z-Buffer(adding 25%) AA adds 0% and ImgRD adds 2-10% ish (because z-buffer takes longer)

You can view the AA cvg value in GE by enabling Vis_CVG in the MCM (also known as linemode)
If you disabled the AA Visualise Coverage would draw completly white and nothing would be seen.

Trev

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

We need a "like" button here! Very Happy

For me: I mess with things, tends to be what I do (and "because" is enough of a reason really); my dream would be improving the framerate on the N64 without impacting play-speed. I also feel that the image upscales better with AA off (as the upscaling process adds blur itself) so it's rather removing one issue to cater with another issue that I've no control of.

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So I've been re-playing GoldenEye thanks to my recent discovery of the mouse injector and I noticed how bad Natalya's AI is in Jungle. Before I never really noticed but I now see how bad it is. Don't get me wrong this was big at the time but with GE:X will we see better AI given to her?

Also I had a question about the institute. I know you said it would be re-done after SP and MP was completed. I'm curious as to what plans you have for it, how far will the GE editor allow to be changed? What will the rooms be used for to fit GoldenEye rather than Perfect Dark? Does the editor allow you to create completely new rooms and areas or will you only be able to edit small things?

Any new animation previews you can show off for the new guns?

Thanks Wreck, this project is a legend and I can't wait for the next release!

killedbyurmom
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Wreck! Hope all is well. I'm still stoked about the release of the next patch =D

basédexe5ithaccount
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yo isn't the solo missions going to be finished next year?

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've just realised that on the 29th of this month (July 2016) it will be eighteen months since the last patch (v5d-beta) was released.

Is there any chance of a new release on that date? If not, then OK, but it would be great if it did happen!

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I may try to get something out for the 19th anniversary of GoldenEye 007. That is a month from now, so we'll see how it goes.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I may try to get something out for the 19th anniversary of GoldenEye 007. That is a month from now, so we'll see how it goes.

Fingers crossed then!

killedbyurmom
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Awesomeness!

The Renegadist
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I can't wait! Any idea as to what would be in this new update if you did decide to do it?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am aiming to have a new patch out by the end of August, or early into September, if everything hoped for can't be done in time. Much of it has been under the hood, or learning how to create missions with the PD engine. There will be one "new" VR level, at least one mission preview, a few bug fixes, and adjustments to multi Facility. Also some new lighting for various mission maps. It won't be anything overwhelming, but is a continued step forward. A lot of effort was placed on figuring out PD actions, so that is where much focus was set.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Work will resume tomorrow. I haven't had a chance to get to it yet, though rest assured it has been ever present on my mind. I also have a concept for an additional multiplayer map, but that will need testing to make sure it not only works, but doesn't slow down too much with multiple players present. Probably requires some optimizing to architecture, similar to Frigate VR and the other "new" VR map nearly complete.

killedbyurmom
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Appreciate all your hard work Wreck! Can't wait to see the new VR. Hopefully the CamSpy will make an appearance like we previously spoke about. If not I will be happy with any patch we get Smile Love.playing GoldenEye X with my buddy (even though we both have a kid now still something we can get into and maybe get them into later on when they get older haha)

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've reached about 60% optimization for the VR level hopeful. I'd like to try to have that finished up over the next few days. Testing in solo so far, and you can feel the difference, which is encouraging. It will definitely perform better than the original map did in multiplayer, either way. If anything, should be a fun VR stage to battle Sims in.

I think I was going to put out a GS code to replace some item in the VR list so players could mess around with the CamSpy. It wouldn't offer much for either offensive or defensive purposes, nor be used by Sims, so we'll leave it to a code.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> GoldenEye X All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 58, 59, 60  Next
Page 21 of 60

Jump to: