ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

G. Vault Website Layout,Terms+Info = SHAT!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Website & Message Board Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilenceHarmsYourEars
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: G. Vault Website Layout,Terms+Info = SHAT! Reply with quote Back to top

Dear Goldeneye Vault,

Here is a critical post to state that your front webpage: http://www.goldeneyevault.com

...is shat.

It is setup in a "probie" modder geek way, full of lots of geek jibe like short-hand terms and the like... which make it quite hard for anyone who is not extremely heavily into Perfect Dark or modding to know what in the flying hell you are waffling about. Here's a more specific run-down of some of the main complaints.

1) Slang/Short-hand unclear geek titles/terms.

For example, it took me a short while to figure that "PD files" was actually a reference to Perfect Dark. Which might seem obvious to the probies who made it but - you had to bear in mind that most people - such as myself, found the website doing research for GOLDENEYE... not Perfect Dark. So at first glance.... a term like PD FILES (or whatever you put) means absolutely NOTHING. And that is coming from someone with a moderate interest IN gaming, the lay person probably stands absolutely 0 chance of successfully navigating your website knowing what the hell it's waffling about.

2) Pointless About Section.

The about section is about as useful as a dead rat. The first 3+ whatever long paragraphs are some geeks attempt at crafting a story about something that sounds fit for a magazine article, e.g. ""Goldeneye 007 was released on August 25th, 1997. Its brilliance was realized very shortly thereafter, and we started playing this game non-stop. A year later"

Half a page later...

"still, a fact that cannot be escaped is that part of what makes Goldeneye so great, is all"

So you keep scrolling down.... hoping you will actually find some actual info ABOUT what GOLDENEYE X IS SODDING ABOUT! BUT IT DOESN'T DELIVER!

3) No clarity of information in various sections (see point 1 & 2) AS TO WHAT THE FILES WERE DESIGNED SPECIFICALLY FOR / WORK ON

It took a fair bit of research, and simply by stumbling upon someone else's review of Goldeneye X, to get some clear information that "Goldeneye X" is supposedly built specifically FOR EMULATION ON A REAL N64, AND MORE SPECIFICALLY (info only found at the BACK of the Forum) FOR NTSC TVS ONLY. This is still supposedly, as I have not yet found a section or bit of official info on your website/forum (assuming their is some) clarifying this supposed fact.

That is the bog standard basic up-front information that should be IN A CLEAR, AND VISIBLE ABOUT SECTION. I only finally found that through 2nd and 3rd party sources. You can thank GLENN PLANT N64 Youtube review of Goldeneye X and the back end of your off-site forum for that.

Finally... I am also only SOMEWHAT confident in stating that the rest of the NON-Goldeneye X files you have created in general are PC-N64-Emulation oriented, and don't stand much chance of working on an actual N64. (I finally got this bit of info in a piece of tiny small print on about the 2nd page of the multiplayer map levels, just doing a general browse.)

In short, your ability to deliver clear and concise information is SHAT. But, I'm hoping this post will help improve that. I have asked some questions on the forum just now also, and hope they can be answered.

Hopefully this has been of some benefit to you.

Rey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I hope that you did not create this profile just to troll on another person hard worked website. The vault contains guides and roms of custom maps that have been provided by others. If you need more information, the vault clearly has other sites linked to itself to help out with what you need such as goldeneyeforever.com. I will say that some descriptions are a bit bland but no reason to complain of a site layout that really is not such a problem. You said you at did not know what PD is.........you do now so theres no problem in it anymore.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think your post was a bit harsh, but certainly are some rings of truth to it. It is really a modding site, that hosts modding files, and was originally not intended for the feint of heart. I think with the amount of levels and big mods coming around, there is room to make it less confusing/hardcore and more user friendly.

That said, I've also really been wanting to modernize the site, and make a huge design change, but I'm not that web talented. I wish I had someone who could do that for me hehe. I've focused my efforts on the editor tool itself, and Goldfinger 64, but I still want to do this some day.

Also, most patches here do work on console, only the very early ones don't.

SilenceHarmsYourEars
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rey wrote:
I hope that you did not create this profile just to troll on another person hard worked website.

As I say, I also posted some questions in one of the main forum sections. And I wouldn't imagine a troll would type that much, in that detail. So to answer your point, no I am not trolling.

I am not knocking the fact a lot of work has gone into it, I just think things can be improved and that some basics have been over-looked.

Rey wrote:
I will say that some descriptions are a bit bland but no reason to complain of a site layout that really is not such a problem.

Well I felt there was a reason as I found it frustrating, as I do with a lot of things today as we descend into an ever-increasing Idiocracy (like the film). And I think it does good to point it out.

SubDrag wrote:
I think with the amount of levels and big mods coming around, there is room to make it less confusing/hardcore and more user friendly.

Egzackly, you said it porfect bubba.

SubDrag wrote:
That said, I've also really been wanting to modernize the site, and make a huge design change, but I'm not that web talented. I wish I had someone who could do that for me hehe.

Well I do web design bubba so, I could help out there if you like to some degree. I could certainly make it a lot more "logical" if you like. Let me know if you're interested.

Most people probably won't notice the difference but, those who pay attention to details will be happier.

SubDrag wrote:

That's good to know. Do the stand alone goldeneye level mods work for a PAL TV/Console though?

I'm wanting to get anything good working on a PAL TV/N64 console with an EverDrive 64 but, I'm not keen on spending a small fortune on those things to find nothing works here in U.K.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Patches have to be made against a certain version of the game, so no.

If you have a Pro Action Replay though basic setup files (stages without a bunch of other mods) can be uploaded to console through a parallel port.

Part of the problem is that descriptions are provided by the people uploading the files. Most are copies of either the readme or changelog. The GE:X releases have been doing changelogs, and the info you wanted--version and region--were in the readme.

The editor currently doesn't do PAL or Japanese versions of either game. The codebase is different for Perfect Dark and radically different for GoldenEye. There's enough documentation to support the basics--file replacement and basic level settings--but there's a stack of code quietly patched to edited ROMs that needs to be ported as well.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

lol Rey n yo purple spiked hurr midgets

Welcome

Ami
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SilenceHarmsYourEars wrote:
Rey wrote:
I hope that you did not create this profile just to troll on another person hard worked website.

As I say, I also posted some questions in one of the main forum sections. And I wouldn't imagine a troll would type that much, in that detail. So to answer your point, no I am not trolling.

I am not knocking the fact a lot of work has gone into it, I just think things can be improved and that some basics have been over-looked.

Rey wrote:
I will say that some descriptions are a bit bland but no reason to complain of a site layout that really is not such a problem.

Well I felt there was a reason as I found it frustrating, as I do with a lot of things today as we descend into an ever-increasing Idiocracy (like the film). And I think it does good to point it out.

SubDrag wrote:
I think with the amount of levels and big mods coming around, there is room to make it less confusing/hardcore and more user friendly.

Egzackly, you said it porfect bubba.

SubDrag wrote:
That said, I've also really been wanting to modernize the site, and make a huge design change, but I'm not that web talented. I wish I had someone who could do that for me hehe.

Well I do web design bubba so, I could help out there if you like to some degree. I could certainly make it a lot more "logical" if you like. Let me know if you're interested.

Most people probably won't notice the difference but, those who pay attention to details will be happier.

SubDrag wrote:

That's good to know. Do the stand alone goldeneye level mods work for a PAL TV/Console though?

I'm wanting to get anything good working on a PAL TV/N64 console with an EverDrive 64 but, I'm not keen on spending a small fortune on those things to find nothing works here in U.K.

That just sounds like you want to talk over the site. Don't think you would ever be granted permission to change the site layout.
Although my opinion may not matter in this stance. I believe the website is fine.

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with the absurdity of the post. Obviously you've made a point to come off as abrasive, as your title is literally calling the main site a crap piece of work. Perhaps a more friendly approach next time, mind you you're a very new member. If I was SubDrag I'd be fairly insulted.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

it's a specific subject and so a certain amount of technical should be expected. You can't jump onto an engineering/micro electronics website and expect arduino/assembler to be spoon fed out to you in puppy terms - you have to go and learn, it's a life skill.

We have jobs, lives, families, many of the people here are industry professionals and the site is not their main concern - food, water, jobs, families, mortgages are - so big boy pants time to anyone who wants to use a technical resource.

Possibly the only thing I might suggest in light of this (please bear in mind that this is the first complaint to my knowledge) is a terms or explanation section that could be hyper-linked when terms like "ipa" are used to make the learning curve less steep - but there's still going to be a learning curve and I've no sympathy to anyone who won't help themselves first and foremost.

MultiplayerX

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The interface of vault in my opinion is fine. It has its own look amd feel. As for navigation ive never had ap
a problem with it and theres no complexity to moving around. The site has been around for YEARS and you are the first person to have an issue with it. So to Subdrag i say keep the idea of modernizing but dont stress out over it. Site holds its own. ;D

SilenceHarmsYourEars
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:
Welcome

Thanks bubba!

Ami wrote:
That just sounds like you want to talk over the site. Don't think you would ever be granted permission to change the site layout.

Yes that's right. I want to take over everything and erase all those nasty imperfections that don't bother the slumbering masses. I will dominate in tyrannical excellence! Mwhahahaha!!

acceptable67 wrote:
your title is literally calling the main site a crap piece of work. If I was SubDrag I'd be fairly insulted.

No actually it's calling the main layout crap, hence why it says layout and not site but, nice try bubba. Also good, let the SubDrag be offended.

MRKane wrote:
iYou can't jump onto an engineering/micro electronics website and expect arduino/assembler to be spoon fed out to you in puppy terms - you have to go and learn, it's a life skill.

This isn't an engineering website, and it isn't even a modding-only website, and I do have a fair deal of experience in all these matters so, I think this invalidates your point.

MultiplayerX wrote:
The site has been around for YEARS and you are the first person to have an issue with it. So to Subdrag i say keep the idea of modernizing but dont stress out over it. Site holds its own. ;D

Well society has been around for years and no one has much of a problem with that either. And now look at it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tBGP7V8CuI

I would agree they don't need to "stress" about it but, I would hope they give it some thought for a future update.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest I'm pretty sure if somebody wanted to permanently take over the task of running the vault they'd be welcome to it.

The vault was an offshoot of this forum. The front webpage is shootersforever.com, though the person who owns it basically isn't around anymore. Bit precarious of a position for the forum to be in ;*)

fantsu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

These sites are good enough. Been like this for a decade.
Anyone who won't like them can create their own sites, feel free.
IPs are pretty cheap to buy nowadays.

...aaand if that site will be better, I will join in too.
Very Happy

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I guess you can show your opinions however you feel like. But it is quite insulting to throw in such a post to Subdrag. After all the site has been around a lot longer before most of us knew about modding Goldeneye. From my understandings though, Goldeneye X does run on Nintendo 64 console "well" please take that with a grain of salt. After all it is still far from finish from the progress data Wreck has provided for us.

I do like how you are a fan of Goldeneye and I respect that entirely. But if you want your information then please just go get it somewhere else then. This site is indeed mostly for creating and modding. Not for pleasing you're eye candy needs.

As for PD, That understandable I ain't gonna lie that it took me a short while to figure it out myself that PD stand for Perfect Dark. But then again I see no reason to even mention such since it's obvious once you remember that PD like GE and GE = Goldeneye and PD = Perfect Dark. Did not take me long to understand such.

I totally understand if you arn't a tech junky and don't understand the short hand terms. But still you should not just call it "Shat" and go on feeling like such. After all, you are welcome to share your thoughts. But when it comes to sharing what you feelings are about the website. You should at least put it in a well more organize and better understanding way, so then we would respect your opinions and not throw it out. Plus hey, we are all open to learning more about the techy stuff right? Wink

As for how the site is, I guess it should be pointed out that it should be fixed up and more "Modernize" Ain't gonna lie. But I do like how it is though. It looks great for what it is. And it "Works" that what I mostly lay it all down to. That it works and gets the job done and points the users wants.

It's a good post and you said what needed to be said, I ain't thinking of it as a "troll" post either. You felt the need to share what you need to share.

PaRaDoX

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

EternallyAries wrote:

It's a good post and you said what needed to be said, I ain't thinking of it as a "troll" post either. You felt the need to share what you need to share.

That's the thing, to me he came of as an obnoxious c unt.
Now if he worded things better and in a more mature way(and not give off the vibe that he's attacking us) I would not have given a damn.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Website & Message Board Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: