ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Proper GameCube joystick inside an N64 controller
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Proper GameCube joystick inside an N64 controller Reply with quote Back to top

This took me quite a bit to make, but at least it looks proper.

I was kinda sick of repairing my N64 joysticks, and the GC styled replacements have major issues with movement. Such as input lag, being too sensitive, and sometimes not working at all on certain games. So I doctored out my own.

I basically drilled out the bowl where the N64 joystick scratches and damages, ruining the return-back. This allows a GC control to fit int.

Now, I then glued the gear pieces the N64 joystick uses to detect movement on the GC's rotation peices, I then glued the GC joystick to the N64 base. (A lot of parts need to be sanded.

I then cut the GC stick's "food plate" to make it fit. I now need to find one that fits, as expected. (PS1 joystick plates look like the right ones, just need to find one.

In terms of controls, it works flawlessly. Rotations, change in movement, idling, and moving all function perfectly. Unlike the 3rd party GC sticks.

I have used this controller for over a year, so it's rather durable. I used epoxy putty and superglue to make it the best I could.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's a brilliant idea! Could you post a shot of the joystick without the cover on - I'd like to see the attachments a little better and would be keen to replicate this as I've got several that are pretty shot!

Ever considered writing a tutorial for this? It seems like a much better option than taping or gluing Very Happy

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
That's a brilliant idea! Could you post a shot of the joystick without the cover on - I'd like to see the attachments a little better and would be keen to replicate this as I've got several that are pretty shot!

Ever considered writing a tutorial for this? It seems like a much better option than taping or gluing Very Happy

Will do.

As for the tutorial, I can't build another one, so I'll have to resort to basic pictures XC

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just the general idea would do. I gather that you'd have to try and get things as close to the pivot as possible but don't have a spare GC or PS controller to rip apart - but they're easy to come by!

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A few notes on building.

Cut the gear parts here the red says, and sand the excess parts until they align correctly.

Drill out the bowl where the red circle is, this is to allow the GC pot to fit. And create larger holes where I marked red (Only the 2 sides where the gears meet) , this is to reduce friction around the gears and make it function smoother.

You'll also need to sand down the GC pot so the gear pieces fit, make sure you don't sand off so much, that the bottom is unstable, and pops off.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That'll do nicely! Will report back when I've done similar (although don't hold your breath as easter kind of brings everything to a halt), and thanks so much for the idea and guide!

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:
That'll do nicely! Will report back when I've done similar (although don't hold your breath as easter kind of brings everything to a halt), and thanks so much for the idea and guide!

No worries! It didn't take that long to make a guide, either. As it's a simple concept.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well I gave it a crack but I couldn't track down a GC stick for a good price so pulled apart a PS2 controller - thing is they don't quite have the junctions to stick the gears to Sad Being my usual cussed self I stumbled across a couple of 3rd party replacement sticks for cheap and found them substandard and using potentiometer sensors with mechanical gears, so still no win there.

They did however seem to have a well balanced interpretation between movement and control. I might try wiring said PS2 stick up to that chip and see how it preforms. It actually looks a lot like the chip on the GC PCB so I'm now wondering if swapping out the chip itself (with the 3rd party firmware, from the $5 stick) might balance things out in terms of sensitivity.

PS3 God
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

F*ck her right in the p*ssy

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Man I wish I was admin sometimes.

Anyway: plugging the cheap ps2 stick into the cheap N64 board was finicky at best but when I did get it hooked up correctly it controlled beautifully. I've started working on the mount and the plastic the replacement bowl is made out of turned out to be soft and flaky when I cut into it so it is a piece of junk - but while two wrongs don't make a right, seems two pieces of junk may make a fun project. Have glued them with aryldite and will give it a day to set before looking to wire up and try the stick mounted.

Have been taking photographs along the way also. Turns out you can reverse the control in a pentiometer stick by shuffling wires around also which is a bonus!

PS3 God
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cool sup

MRKane

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well it worked like a charm until I found that the aryldite had failed to cure and the stick had ripped off the seat. I'll be grabbing some more glue in the near future and have already ordered some more of the sticks. Now I'm wondering if the chip on this "repair box" stick could be fitted to the GS stick or if their GS one for the N64 is as well balanced as their cheap mechanical...not that I've ever had that experience personally
EDIT: A new batch of aryldite and am loving the new controller - it's a good little project for anyone who might want to do it. If anyone wants photos give me a yell, otherwise it's pretty straightfoward Wink

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@MrKane

Would you mind if you could post some images of the controller? Not to be rude or anything.

I'm also thinking of building a more modern N64 controller made for GE/PD's 1.2 control set, because the reversal of the look and move buttons/stick is odd.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'll flick some up shortly, can also give a breakdown Smile

Pertaining to the stick reversal I wondered about that myself a few times. I was left thinking about swapping wires to reverse axis, it works on the pentiometer sticks so may work on the OEM ones. What could be even cooler is mounting a DPDT switch to allow toggling (assuming the reverse works), could try that this week on a broken stick if you've not the gear.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Mounting a PS2 joystick inside a repair box case.

So this is the repairbox stick and PCB - it's a little bulkier than the standard and it's a claustrophobic mess inside, but that's why we've got dremels and knives and sandpaper.

I jacked a PS2 stick pulled straight from it's PCB into this for testing and found that flipping the ground and return wires (the two outside ones) could be used for reversing input.

I gutted the casing and installed the new stick, wiring the pentiometers as appropriate, however the stick was mounted a little high and the epoxy didn't set (for whatever reason)

Didn't take long for that to fall apart and I didn't much like the mount height so I cut the casing down to flush with the bottom and glued the stick in again. It worked, so I didn't take any other photos of this disassembled. The last "finishing touch" was to cut a hole in the top of the casing to act as a restrictor for the stick - it was just smaller than the opening for the N64 controller but worked rather well. The one trick I'd do different next time is use the circuit board as a "plug" to stop the glue getting through the opening so that the PCB is stuck in place (it floats) and that glue doesn't extrude into the area that would be the mounting.

Things to note: The PS2 stick offers significantly less resistance than the N64 stick, and the spring return isn't as aggressive so you've really got to remember to start playing it like a playstation, and using the stick surrounds for fine control (think XGIII). It operates fine for PD and GE (not as good as original however) and you can do smash attacks etc in SSB. It's the best alternative I've found so far - now interesting note I'm pretty sure the replacement GC stick I got had a similar chip underneath - I lent it to someone but would be keen to try swapping the chip out to see if it carries over functionality to the over sensitive GC sticks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: