ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Proper GameCube joystick inside an N64 controller
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

@Mr Kane.

That looks incredible, much better than my attempt at a proper joystick. All you need is to cover the empty shell space between the stick, and you got a pretty fine controller for Mario Party's joystick destroyer minigames.

Also, the reason the Gamecube joystick replacements are so sensitive is because it counts the change in joystick position by 2 steps rather than one. Some games bug out on controls due to counting too much steps and going the game's maximum. Some games will ignore this, though.

Also, I forgot. In order to make the joystick function properly on my concept, you need to glue the circuit board to the base plastic. Otherwise, it'll wiggle around and "Think" you're moving. It'll increase more and more you rotate, going to the point you'll run automatically In Mario 64. Gluing prevents the board from wiggling, making it easier to use.

Also, if any design of joystick makes you move automatically. Press L R and Start to recenter it, I think.

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I did find that poor soldier joints caused the joystick to drift...and I just recently lost a controller due to shoddy soldering - it seemed as though the board had fatigued in a few places and was covered in flux.

I'll try to get a photograph of the finished controller up in a few days Smile

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Good luck.

I'm also wondering if the Wii Nunchuks joysticks can be a used as an GameCube joystick, too.

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've never pulled apart a Wii nunchuck - I'd imagine it'd be similar to the GC stick. I'm pretty sure I've seen conversions for most of the Wii stuff back and forth from N64. It actually surprises me how few the "experiments" with different N64 input devices are. Everyone seems pretty much content to complain about the stock controller and not do anything about it.

Didn't get time last night to do any tinkering, but did grab a snap of the stick installed with surrounds. Turns out that it was actually really difficult to cut a properly circular hole, and that much bugs me enough to make a real point to get it right next time.

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That looks amazing! Maybe I could try to do that. Also, is there any delay in movements?

The controller almost looks exactly like this other PSX joystick in N64 idea I found from an old forum (Which was the influence for mine)

http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=3574.0

The only difference is this one uses a cut-out PS1 gap to cover the PSX joystick plate.

Here's a picture from the forum if you don't want to skim though it.

EDIT: Whoa, whoa. Look at this! A proper 2-stick N64 contoller?

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually that's exactly the page I referenced when I was looking at doing the "cover" part of it, and I also used the tricks he'd done to estimate how high I should mount the stick itself.

Pertaining to the control: It's running off the repairbox stick systems, so there is a slightly larger deadzone than the N64, but I've not noticed any delay. The core thing to note is that the resistance on the PSX stick is lower than the stock N64 stick.

As far as the 2Stick controller goes - I had a crack making on of them but really couldn't get good results - I basically turned the left pad into a "psuedo stick". Ironically my friends mother loves it and won't give it back now but I personally found it just didn't move how I'd have wanted it to. It's something that might require a microcontroller to get working to full capacity. Job for another day (and another budget! lol)

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quick note that if you wish to invert the axis on a standard N64 controller then simply switching the wires over does the trick. To flipping the first two (by the white one) will invert the Y axis - could be handy for some of those games where the control is just flat out wrong Smile

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A bit off-topic. So I tried out the "Revamped" 3rd-party N64 Gamecube joysticks.

The only big change is that they made the hole space where the joystick moves a bit smaller. This is to prevent the "overstep" bug that the earlier versions had.

They're still pretty garbage in terms of sensitivity and delays, though.

@Mr kane. Have you thought of replacing the spring inside the PSX's pot to make the movement more stiff?

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Funny you should mention the spring as I was messing around with that a little but given that the stick is glued into place pretty permenantly I've been unsure what to do with it. There is a tiny internal spring about the size of a pen spring but softer in its...erm...spring. Replacing with part of a pen spring gives good return but is very stiff - might look at greasing it and will also sacrifice another controller to see if doubling the spring yields nicer results.

I'm not sure if this thread is a tech thread or an interactive chop-shop, but man I'm glad this stuff I'm hacking up is dirt cheap (actually bad analogy as dirt is $65 per cubic metre and AP40 metal is $30...but I digress).

Pertaining to the GC replacement stick: I'm very disappointed to hear that. As a programmer (and with all the tutorials and even THE CODE ITSELF published by its creator) you'd think they'd be able to get it right! Next thought of course is: can you photograph the PCB it comes with? I'm interested to see if they use the same interpreter chip Smile

Edit: despite spending the better part of an evening messing around with springs from different pens just couldn't get a suitable fix for the PS2 stick - it's just always inclined to snap to the side. Eventually decided to make a second one and pay more attention to the mount and restrictor at the top. Now an Xbox 360 control stick feels different again...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Console Workshop All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: