ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Goldeneye Breakthrough: Format String Editing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shell
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Goldeneye Breakthrough: Format String Editing Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I've gone and done something that's never been done before:
http://wiki.dotshell.net/index.php?title=Goldeneye_Format_String_Editing

READ THE WHOLE ARTICLE BEFORE POSTING

Oh wait, how rude of me, I forgot to introduce myself. I'm shell. I'm the leader of the team that kcghost and kastro are on. Hi!

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: re: hacking Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the boards.

I've been lurking around here since pretty close to day 1 but haven't really gotten into hacking yet due to the lack of a gameshark that I can hook up to my computer. But its nice to see another pro in here.

shell
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, you can use NEMU for memory browsing and then test your codes in PJ64. The downside is that NEMU rejects the GE rom so you have to play on the Citadel rom which still doesnt work on NEMU (it just starts up and screws up graphics or only lets you play in the first room, etc)

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: re: memory editing Reply with quote Back to top

Does anybody know if PJ64 v1.7 is going to support memory browsing?

shell
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Probably not. No offense to them but the people at PJ are really lazy and a lot of people didn't like the idea from the start as evidenced on EMUTalk

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: re: hacking Reply with quote Back to top

well hacking is not exactly a broad-appeal type activity - the percentage of people that would actually use that feature is small, I can see why they wouldn't spend time adding it.

Last edited by bmw on Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total

shell
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The fact that little people would use it is besides the point. If they want to come close to being like N64, they need to have at least somewhere near a real gameshark.

but back on topic. cool, eh?

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote Back to top

EDIT - removal of off-topic material

Last edited by bmw on Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total

shell
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Please keep this on topic. Read the full article before posting

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: re: article Reply with quote Back to top

Well I've read the whole article and I think you need to better explain exactly what this does in terms that most people will understand. The only people who will actually understand it are people who have hacked goldeneye. Being an entry in Wiki it will be read by a lot of people who have no idea what you are talking about.

Or at the very least maybe you should have an introduction section where you briefly explain the basics of exactly what gameshark hacking is.

shell
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm. Well, did my explanation of printf() go off well??

Anyways, you wouldn't know if you havent used the secret cheat for the debug mode...

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah the concept itself was fairly easy to understand - but then again I have experience with C programming so I know what strings are and what the printf function does (though C++ is more common these days so maybe referencing the cout<< function would be more effective)

Where the typical non-hacking person would get confused would be in the codes and screenshots - at a glance it would look like all you need to do is enter those codes into your gameshark and get that cool looking status bar to show up on your game while you are playing.

shell
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No, you need the debug code enabled first

kcghost
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jeez, weve gota a whole almost-pointless conversation here! Wow!

Very cool hack, Shell. I like how you can change the format of the number from decimal to hex. Since people who do not either have some math experience or havent hacked Goldneye or any kind of memory have no idea what the hek hex is, no, most people have no idea what this really does. But its a cool hack none-the-less.

Can you put the number in other formats other than hex and decimal? Try it in binary, or some really wierd rarely used base number system, lol. This hack reminds me of another code, EZ-Coordinates, although it doesn't have much to do with fomratting, it modified the debug menu to display memory address values (your coordinates in hex for map hacking). However, it never worked too well, and goes over some of the text already there, and cant do the room pointer so you are better off looking into the memory anyway.

bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: re: hack Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry for going off topic, but in regards to my comments about the article, he wanted us to read it before posting and I was simply giving my opinion of the article itself - pointing out that it won't make much sense to most people but that it COULD make sense if an introduction with some background information was added. Remember, Wiki is a public site that people of all levels of technical knowledge read (same goes for this forum).

This forum draws a mix of people who have hacking experience and people who don't but many of those who don't are interested in learning. It would be beneficial for the latter group if when hacks such as this are posted that there is at least some kind of explanation as to (1) how to use the hack and (2) the practical application of the hack. Otherwise you're gonna scare away the beginners out there. I'm not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just making a suggestion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Q-Lab Hacking Department All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: