ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Mario Kart 64 Battle Royale
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Mario Kart 64 Battle Royale Reply with quote Back to top

Well it's been a long journey for me but kind of sort of got it. We often play Mario Kart Battles and always wished that players who were bombs would get the chance to have more than one kill.

After a lot of learning and splitting hairs I managed to work back through the code and modify the necessary lines to make this a reality.

The next thing would be finding out where the level end checks are made and remove them so the game can end whenever the players call it - or whenever the winner has had revenge exacted upon them.

Next question: how would I distribute this were anyone to want it?

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The offical answer would be an ips patch (or xdelta).

Then post it on the forum as an attachment... oh... wait... oops... No Attachments...

Erm, ok you can e-mail it to me and I can host it.

Other options are to use those awfull, but get the job done after adverts and count-downs, hosting sites.

Trev

acceptable67

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Create an XDELTA from both ROMs and upload to mediafire. Advisable to include a batch file for users to patch their clean ROM.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Right - so I've nearly got everything polished here and we gave it a massive blitz for nearly three hours tonight, gave it a real drilling on the N4 - if I remember the GE Editor could do Xdelta but haven't come across batch files - does it do those also? The changes made boiled down to a heap of tiny tweaks here and there so files should be small.

The only tweak I want to track down still is widescreen while playing 1 and 2 players as I've only got it for 3 and 4 at the moment. Will hopefully get it released within a few days.

After that I've got to stop thinking about creating custom maps...mustn't even consider that...ok, anyone got any ideas?

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Romhacking.com should be your website of choice to upload your patches:
http://www.romhacking.net/

You have to register and it takes a day or two until your uploads are accepted, but I think this is the largest and most famous hacking website there is.

Now some suggestions from my part:
-I always wanted to disable the bombs that roam the courses when you race in multiplayer.
-Also, if possible, fix the speed in most of those tracks. In 3P and 4P almost all courses play ultrafast, and there where a couple in 2P (DK Jungle and another one I can't remember, but I can look).
Both ultraspeed and bombs make multiplayer races a pain.
-There's also the lack of music, but I can live with that. Zoinkity said it's because there wasn't enough memory left for music, but an Expansion Pak compatible hack could do it. Heh, that would be asking too much.

What's that widescreen you are talking about? Real 16:9 aspect radio? That would be awesome!

About custom tracks...
I think rather than a MK64 editor, a Donkey Kong Racing hacking tool would be better. Probably it's not my first time saying it, hehe.
Having 3 different vehicles makes it so inspiring for level designers. Smile
It's true that MK64 items are more enjoyable, and DKR lacks randomness. But maybe we can change that too. Wink

Anyway. Looking forward for your release!

MRKane

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hey Sogun that's a cool looking site! I'm sure I'll get around to putting them up there but think I'll flick them to everyone here first because we're kinda like brothers in arms.

Pertaining to the mod: I've really only got eyes for the battle mods - ironically me and my fully-grown-adult-friends can waste hours playing that.

Speed: Man I always thought that was something I'd done until I read about it! There are codes to fix this and they could really do with getting stacked into the game:
http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/N64/MarioKart64/Patches.html

Music and Bombs: That's way out of my league unfortunately.

Widescreen: Proper 16:9 aspect ratio. One user discovered a GS code to do this and I've been hard-coding it in.

Also: Has anyone ever played Mickeys speedway? I found the tracks really good, but like DK Racing it's just not as "fun" to play for some reason.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

MRKane wrote:

Also: Has anyone ever played Mickeys speedway? I found the tracks really good, but like DK Racing it's just not as "fun" to play for some reason.

Mickey's racing is weird. If you saw it side by side with DKR, you'd think Mickey was two years before Diddy and Diddy was the sequel. Mickey is only 6 racers per match, no hub world, slower, very hard, very little powerups and boosts, and once you get behind you stay behind, powerups aren't very good either. It also has some cutesy speech over and over. The only improvement is a better framerate. It's playable, but not even close to as fun. It's very strange.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

What I'd like to see is Mario Kart 64 redone on the Diddy Kong Racing engine. You'd have to create a nice overworld, probably based on areas from SM64. Also, feature various bosses. Koopa the Quick, Big Boo and Bowser all come to mind. It'd be a really fun twist on the original game, adding a whole new adventure mode to it. Hide red coins in levels, as well as secret power stars to access special levels or bosses. Then fly into space to visit Rainbow Road for the finale. Could make for a fantastic game.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It really would be! So many games never take that next step (outlaw golf 2 springs to mind also). To be frank having watched the development of Mario Kart over the years it's best described as "very slow moving and not inspired".

Trevor has made some good progress getting details out of Mario Kart - although I've become a bit time-strapped as of late Sad

MRKane

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So the road to recovery after my machine went down has been long and painful, but we're getting there! I've just started to get contents off the harddrive, and one such was the gameshark code I wrote for making "bombs go faster" - which is essentially an ASM jump out, set a value, and jump back code that couldn't be done any other way. She's an assembly code, and I wrote it in Nemu so will post it in that format for easy copying into the cheats.ini file:

CheatName4=BombSpeed
CheatName4Count=12
CheatName4Code0=81000090 0012
CheatName4Code1=81000092 7C00
CheatName4Code2=81000094 201B
CheatName4Code3=81000096 4385 <= Sets the speed of the bomb
CheatName4Code4=81000098 001B
CheatName4Code5=8100009A DC00
CheatName4Code6=8100009C AE1B
CheatName4Code7=8100009E 0214
CheatName4Code8=810000A0 080A
CheatName4Code9=810000A2 3868
CheatName4Code10=8128E19C 0800
CheatName4Code11=8128E19E 0024

CheatName5=BombSubsist
CheatName5Count=4
CheatName5Code0=8108FC4C 0000
CheatName5Code1=8108FC4E 0000
CheatName5Code2=8108FC46 C050
CheatName5Code3=8128E238 1273 <= Prevents the match from ending

Note: 4385 is the new bomb speed, set it to whatever you may like for crazy results! Given I've no access yet to windows (and therefore the tools I might need to continue further) I might log all the rom changes and see about turning the differences into usable codes Smile

EDIT: Tapped out the last few changes to the actual gameplay in the rom and this is the complete cheat set. Omitting the last line on the cheat will mean the match behaves as usual were you not to want to hunt down the last surviving player - but if you're all bloodthirsty people like my friends and I...you will Wink

EDIT2: Just tested these on my everdrive and the match can't seem to start. Will have to go back to the drawing board and try to figure out why it's falling over on actual hardware Sad

EDIT3: I've found that this works fine in emulator but locks up on hardware. Potentially something to do with the jumps for the speed up code - but man it's a blast with friends on emulator!

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Agree with Sogun on MK64 it would be a real treat to at least have some music in multiplayer, but I am guessing if it were simple someone would have already done it.

Is there a community for Mario Kart 64 similar to shootersforever?

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've not really seen a Mario Kart 64 community - there's a large one for more recent games, and I think that rather speaks for itself - the newer games are better so the community moves.

Just some of us don't have the money to buy newer consoles.

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just found a GS code that fixes the speed issue with multiplayer:

Multiplayer speed fix
81001C90 240A
81001C92 0002
81001C94 240A
81001C96 0002
81001A38 2409
81001A3A 0002
81001A3C 2409
81001A3E 0002

http://forum.pj64-emu.com/showpost.php?p=63310&postcount=20

I tried it in Project 64 v1.6 and it worked for me. I wonder if there's a chance to implement this in a rom so we can play at normal speed on console by a flashcart such as Everdrive 64.

Also, a few weeks ago I found a patch that changed some textures to the original japanese ones (which parodied real brands), but I can't remember where I saw it. Does anyone know?

Now I need to find a way to remove the bombs in VS mode and I'll be pleased. Smile

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe we can get a bomb, driven by the computer, trying ram everybody in multi Wink Or more than one.

I think the patch was one of those emulator texture hacks to change signs, not seen an actual rom one (may exist though).

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I want to get rid of bombs in the VS tracks, not make them more dangerous! lol.

As for the texture replacement, it was a patch. I patched a rom myself and I'm playing it with the Everdrive64, but I deleted the patch files and forgot about the website. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: