ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

What is your favourite N64 kart game?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Diddy Kong Racing
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Diddy Kong Racing
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Lego Racer
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Mario Kart 64
52%
 52%  [ 10 ]
Mickey's Speedway Racer
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
South Park Rally
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other - there's another kart racer on the N64, which I prefer
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: What is your favourite N64 kart game? Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I know, there are five kart racing games on the N64;

Diddy Kong Racing,
Lego Racer,
Mario Kart 64,
Mickey's Speedway Racer,
South Park Rally.

I have to admit, I found Mario Kart 64 to be disappointing. A long time later, when N64 emulation became possible, I found out that the PAL version of MK64 (which I have, I'm in England) was noticeably slower than the NTSC version, which partly explains why I was so unhappy with the game. But I don't know, I just prefered the SNES version, it just seemed much more fun to me.

I like Diddy Kong Racing better, it just feels like a lot more fun, but I'm only commenting on the single player mode, as I've not really played much multiplayer in any of these games (I have tried MK64 multiplayer, but can't remember much about it, I think I tried DK64's, and South Park Rally, but not Lego Racer or Mickey's Speedway Racer).

I played South Park Rally, and I think it was OK but not great. I know I played Lego Racer, but I think I spent more time building the cars, then deciding it wasn't much fun, briefly trying the racing, then deciding to play a different game. As far as I can remember, I've never played Mickey's Speedway Racer at all (it's the only Rare N64 game I don't own, and I don't know if I've ever even seen it for sale in England, did it come out in PAL?).

So I'll vote for Diddy Kong Racing, with the caveats that I'm only judging by the single player, I can barely remember the other three (if I even played MSR) and I'm not a big fan of karting games anyway, so I should really be allowed only half a vote!

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's a tough call. Mario Kart I thought was quite a bit more fun in multiplayer when we used to get together; Diddy Kart was better for single player due to it being longer and more levels, but Mario Kart had a strong single player too. And if I remember, Mario Kart had a 2P Grand Prix, but Diddy Kong Racing only had 1P. Heh, it's really one was stronger in one area, the other a different way.

I think if you had to pick the better overall game, it'd be tough to defeat Mario Kart 64. But I play Diddy Kong Racing far more often nowadays than Mario Kart 64, so I think my favorite game of them, is Diddy Kong Racing, but I acknowledge Mario Kart 64 may be a bit better overall.

HackBond

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The only two I've played is Diddy and Lego Racer. I played Lego Racer on PC, not 64, when I was younger and I only got Diddy recently, so my vote goes to Lego Racer.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

l0l what means "Other - there's another kart racer on the N64, which I prefer" ..?

And as for SP Rally , I thoughts the definitive one is for the SDC Dreamcast

* DKR casted although its multi leaves much to be desired 0.o *

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have played Mario Kart 64 and Diddy Kong Racing entirely (I own both). I tried Mickey's Speedway USA but I didn't like it at all. Even the graphics weren't that impressive for a late N64 game.

Back in the day and nowadays I prefer playing MK64 over DKR. The lenght and variety of its courses and the feeling of speed makes it more enjoyable. The music and the sliding technique also make a big difference.

As for multiplayer, MK64 is far superior. The main reason are the randomized items. The Battle arenas have a better design too.
The only problem with MK64 comes with the VS mode, with those annoying bombs and the odd changes in speed, especially with 3P and 4P.

However, as a new 1P experience I prefer DKR. The Adventure mode is amazing. You have to not only beat the races, but also explore them for keys or silver coins. You have to defeat bosses, there are 3 different vehicles and you can unlock two extra characters. It's a lot harder than MK64.
It's just that after completing it 100%, MK64 is more appealing to play again.

DKR could have been the best. It has a lot of potencial and maybe we can improve it with the Editor:
-Faster speeds
-Longer courses
-More variety of environments
-Randomized items (as a cheat or as a new balloon)
-Courses designed to exploit the different 3 vehicles (and not follow the same exact track).
-Better battle arenas. Preferably one per vehicle.
-New music Razz

I forgot to mention two aspects in which DKR beats MK64: the bananas that increase your speed and the cheat menu which adds a lot of playable options (we should make that available from the start).

Trevor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wont vote just now since the only one Ive played is MarioKart.
Ive never played single player and only played with others, mostly battle mode.

What Ill need to do is play DKR on our next games night.

I think that as a name MarioKart is more known.

Mark Kane was interested in editing MK, however, most data is MI0 compressed and I have no idea how to find verticie lists. (The load vertex command (04) is a RAM address)
I did a quick test and compiled the Demo OneTri and noticed that it compiled in Source Order, however Verticies were just there... no indication, just numbers.
(The Blue 00 marks the first vertex as 0,1,2 = [00]00 0001 0002)

I did find textures, though the karts seem to be 64x64x8 which is not possible to fit TMEM.

[img]http://fgfc.ddns.net/PerfectGold/Kart_8Bit.bmp[/img]

If anyone wants the doc in the image, Ill post it (I cant find it just now).

Trev

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I got a little way into editing it but have been strapped for a computer that can run the necessary tools - this is becoming a theme at the moment actually and I've not the money nor the time to rectify this.

Adding to the conversation the one thing that moves my vote from DK to MK is the handling of the vehicles themselves in that the vehicles in MK just had a more favourable "weight" to them where as the ones in DK felt more like hover craft with their values slightly tweaked, and at the end of the day while it had much more to offer it just doesn't get any play while friends are over as it's that immediacy that MK has which gives it an edge.

EDIT: That and the voices and music in DK are goddamn annoying.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Geesh, hot topic lately. This is a mega-quote from a different thingy directed at image ripping.

Here's a proof-of-concept file replacement script to insert the unique Japanese textures into a USA rom:
http://pastebin.com/zvxX2SYF
-used to make this patch:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fe1x4t49c9r2fn0/MarioKart64-Jimgs.zip

There's two tables used for the racer sprites, one exclusively with compressed files and one not. The compressed ones are the sprites, the others should be palettes.
E 0xDE7F4 uncompressed binaries
E 0xDEAC0 MIO compressed

Besides the table offsets, you also need to know the structure of certain tables to tamper with them and the namespaces they're at (though this does overlap). In the ROM they're at J-0x122DC0, Ja-0x121BF0, E-0x122390, P-0x122570, and Pa-0x122490.
Code:
0x0   4   start display lists
0x4   4   end display lists
0x8   4   start vertices
0xC   4   end vertices
0x10   4   start image table
0x14   4   end image table
0x18   4   start DL namespace [0F000000]
0x1C   4   #vertices
0x20   4   offset from vtx ROM address to geometry script
0x24   4   size of scripting
0x28   4   namespace [09000000]
0x2C   4   RESERVED

Image table is broken into two parts. The list of images comes first and is NULL-terminated. Note images are shared between tracks, so any change to an image requires changing its entry in every table. Images are not in order.
The list of virtual addresses follow the images are offsets in the display list binary to each display list. Only alter them if the DL is being altered.
Image entries are very simple:
Code:
0x0   4   offset in image bank to data
0x4   4   compressed size
0x8   4   decompressed size
0xC   4   RESERVED

Note that the compressed size is the actual binary size and this should be--and will be--padded.

The offsets to images are relative to the start of the game's image bank. This differs by game, and would be J-0x642940, Ja-0x64D7B0, E-0x641F70, P-0x642170, Pa-642090.

The display lists refer to images in the 05- namespace, which are the stage images. Pretty sure they're basically decompressed in order into memory, so offsets should be obvious. 03- is some global texture bank but I'm unsure specifics. 06- is an offset within the display list stuff. You'll notice most of the display lists for a stage are itemized following the image entries in the image table. Also, some tracks will include embedded vertex and image info.

07- is an offset into generated display lists created from the vertex table. I'm relatively certain these are created from some info in the display list table that selects the number of vertices to group into quads. The vertex table is actually 14 per entry instead of 16, omitting the NULL placeholder short after xyz. I'm not sure on the specifics or I'd already have ripped the blasted tracks.

Last edited by zoinkity on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:02 am; edited 1 time in total

Sogun
General
General

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just found out about this. It's a WIP Mario Kart 64 Editor
http://origami64.net/showthread.php?tid=47

Maybe we can continue this hacking discussion in another thread?
This one should be used to gather our impressions about N64 kart games. Wink

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:
l0l what means "Other - there's another kart racer on the N64, which I prefer" ..?

And as for SP Rally , I thoughts the definitive one is for the SDC Dreamcast

* DKR casted although its multi leaves much to be desired 0.o *

I mean that if there is another kart racer on the N64, which I don't know about and so I didn't add into the poll, and if anyone prefers that kart racer to any on the poll, then please select this option and also make a post saying what the game is.

Sorry if I wasn't clear, there's not much space to write in a poll box. Anyway, it doesn't look like there is another kart racer on the N64, or someone would probably have mentioned it by now, so that poll option probably won't be needed!

By the way, how is South Park Rally different on the Dreamcast, please? I've not played the N64 version much, or the Dreamcast version at all, so I don't know how they differ.

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, Unless I missed something, my vote will move to MarioKart for the reason that it has Battle mode (the only mode my friends and I play together)

DKR otherwise seems ok (although the planes need really sped up and more agile)

Ill quickly test Micky actually since its a later game.

Ok, so actually, I rather like Micky. Its got normal kart and weapon racing like Mario Kart AND its got Battle Mode with 3 Balloons Just like Mario Kart.

Its also got some one-ups on MarioKart:
Built-in Widescreen Support
Dolby Surround Sound
Nicely Modeled karts

To Top It all we can edit it.

What I did notice was that while battle mode is fast, the tracks are very slow, at least perceptivly.
If the tracks could be made faster I think it would top MarioKart.

Trev

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ENGLISH:

My favorite game is Mario Kart 64 kart.

there are things I do not like DKR: This game is not good controls karts and you can not jump to the R button unlike other games kart as MK64 or MSU. however the controls of the plane and hovercraft are better (and perhaps because we have not seen these vehicles in another game). the hovercraft in this game if you can jump and therefore approaches a little to the physics of MK64 when you bounce against walls and objects, though admittedly not depart volvando and tumbling high as in MK64. It does hack into the controls of each vehicle and be a possibility in the future to do it ?. one possibility is to make the karts can jump with the R button instead of remaining caught in the wheels to the ground. and if I could hack to make the mini turbos with the R button and MK64? that would be a novelty and surprise that the hacking came this far.

on MSU:
It is a game with good graphics, good and great levels, and have a drink more than MK64, the controls are very good regardless of the character you choose, the karts may take small jumps by pressing R (no can do mini turbos and MK64) .You battle mode as the MK64. It has menu of tricks. Battle mode can juegarlo against sims.

MSU defects:
has a great sound quality but the music and sound are very repetitive and the truth I do not really like the style of music Dinsey. battle mode is too small levels and battles just too fast. this game missing items as lightning, ghost and block false MK64. is not a game with much difficulty pienso.solo you have 6 runners instead of 8 as MK64. It is for me the more fluid in terms of FSP kart racing game.

Trevor: do not you think the game too fast MSU on the slopes? you've tried the game with the likes of Huey, Dewey and Louie? eston are the fastest in the game and characters ne last Cup game can not get them maintain control and fall from ledges and cliffs. You are right that the battle if they are too fast.

MSU is for me a good candidate if a mod became modeled on MK64. on the contrary if one wants to live another experience serious candidate MK64 then DKR as this provides the other 2 cars on the plane and hovercraft.

SPANISH:

mi juego favorito de kart es Mario kart 64.

hay cosas que no me gustan de DKR: este juego no tiene buenos controles con los karts y no puedes dar saltos con el boton R a diferencia de los otros juegos de kart como MK64 o MSU. sin embargo los controles del hovercraft y el avion son mejores ( y quizas por que no hemos visto estos vehiculos en otro juego). el hovercraft en este juego si puede saltar y por tanto se aproxima un poco a la fisica de MK64 cuando rebotas contra objetos y paredes, aunque es cierto que no saldras volvando y dando volteretas a gran altura como en MK64. se puede hacer hack en los controles de cada vehiculo y habra alguna posibilidad en el futuro de hacerlo?. una posibilidad es poder hacer que los karts puedan dar saltos con el boton R en lugar de permanecer agarrados con las ruedas al suelo. y si pudiera hackear para hacer los mini turbos con el boton R como en mk64? eso seria una gran novedad y sorpresa que el hacking llegara hasta tan lejos.

sobre MSU:
es un juego con buenos graficos, buenos y grandes niveles, y tiene una copa mas que MK64, los controles son muy buenos independientemente del personaje que elijas, los karts pueden dar pequeños saltos al pulsar R (no puedes hace mini turbos como en mk64).tiene un modo batalla como el de MK64. tiene menu de trucos. el modo batalla puedes juegarlo contra los sims.

defectos de MSU:
tiene una gran calidad de sonido pero la musica y el sonido son muy repetitivos y la verdad no me gusta mucho el estilo de dinsey de musica. el modo batalla tiene niveles demasiado pequeños y las batallas acaban demasiado rapido. a este juego le faltan items como el rayo,fantasma y bloque falso de MK64. no es un juego con mucha dificultad pienso.solo tiene 6 corredores en lugar de 8 como mk64. es para mi el juego mas fluido en cuanto a fsp de carreras de karts.

Trevor: no te parece demasiado rapido el juego MSU en las pistas? has probado el juego con los personajes como Huey,Dewey y Louie ? eston son los personajes mas rapidos del juego y ne la ultima copa del juego no consigo mantener el control con ellos y me caigo por las cornisas y los barrancos. tienes razon en que las batallas si que son demasiado rapidos.

MSU es para mi un buen candidato si se hiciera un mod calcado de MK64. por el contrario si lo que se quiere es vivir otra experiencia de MK64 el candidato entonces seria DKR ya que este aporta los otros 2 vehiculos el hovercraft y el avion.

Trevor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SATURN_81

I did not test everything in Mickey as these games are not really my cup of tea, however I wanted to note my initial observations using the default Chars.

Yes, Battle Mode is probably too fast, but the levels are just really small (nothing really beats the simplicity of Mario's Block-Fort)
But I still think that when I played the raceing side of the game it was very slow.

In Mario you get to choose between 3 different speeds.

One thing I did not try was to set the dificulty in Mickey to Hard. maybe that makes things faster?

Trev

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

One thing I forgot was that nothing is missing from DKR and MSU are multiple items that exist in mario kart before. for example, they have not hechado ever less able to put multiple bananas or carry multiple shells at DKR and MSU. hecharan tambie surely less a blue shell with spikes that destroys everything that is on its way up to the first player. or perhaps the effects of lightning, small slow runners are made and they can be crushed.

Trevor:

I think the MSU four difficulty levels (novice, intermediate, professional and mirrror) are equivalent to MK64 (50cc, 100cc, 150cc, extra). but it not if MSU is the difficulty depending on the level you choose is that you increase the speed or not if that artificial intelligence is higher.
brokers as I think they can be classified into four categories as in Mario Kart SNES, unlike MK64 only has 3 categories 2 heavy runners, 2/2 and 3 fast:

Mickey and Donad are like Mario and Luigui. Middleweights
Minie and Daisy are as Yoshi and Peach in Mario Kart SNES.
Gooffy and (the other not as they are called) are as Donkey, Bowser and Mario.

Huey, Dewey and Louie are the 3 secrets and more or less equivalent to Toad and Koopa SNES runners. 2 of them you can unlock if you complete certain cups with gold or platinum. the other apparently unlocked a transfer pack gameboy.

Von Drake Drake or Fon: this is another secret character and is the heaviest and worst control has.

oldyz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
It's a tough call. Mario Kart I thought was quite a bit more fun in multiplayer when we used to get together; Diddy Kart was better for single player due to it being longer and more levels, but Mario Kart had a strong single player too. And if I remember, Mario Kart had a 2P Grand Prix, but Diddy Kong Racing only had 1P......

Use the secret code Jointventure, and you can have 2 player adventure mode

i recommend it greatly , especially if you have sons daughter or nephews

--

however i prefer Mario Kart 64, even over newer mario kart incarnations.

reason being , the Physics, the way inertia affects the carts when getting hit with the shells is still fantastic, unfortunately Diddy kong racing has, to a lesser degree , that same defect that newer mario karts have, the fact that a shell or rocket hit triggers an animation or script that makes the kart statikcly or almost statickly go up and then down ,
in the other hand M Kart 64 has these wonderful things that when combined are very satisfying to see - an opponent is going full speed on a curve near a chasm - if you hit them in the right moment they will go flying out of the curve and have a long beautiful fall...
that is something that you rarely see in other kart games.

having said that , it would be awesome to make a mario kart game using Diddy kong racing - it would feature boss battles, 2 player adventure mode, and heck if we can find a way to mimic MK 64's gameplay (like the inertia -collision things i said earlier) so it feels more like MK 64 it would be awesome -

would the boss be Ol' bowser?

i think its time to bring back Warg, or the baddies from SUper Mario RPG
Wink
Super Mario RPG racer?

P.S , ohhh & the banana rows, those wonderful banana rows of 5 or 6 bananas that allows you to make 15 banana road blocks that create chaos,
and the flat sprite , but wonderful green shells that will bounce around the race track for ever, something that polygon model shells cant seem to do in the newer versions

Ollllo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Diddy Kong Racing All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: