ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

NES RPG fan translations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmw
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: NES RPG fan translations Reply with quote Back to top

I never knew there were so many good RPGs that never made it out of Japan, or that so many of them have been translated by fans to English. I'm a sucker for the old 8-bit RPG games.

The one I've been playing recently is Double Moon Densetsu - its more or less a Dragon Warrior clone, but a rather good one. I may start making preview videos for each one that I play as there's fairly limited youtube content for any of these games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhkiLqYQ1iI

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's pretty awesome that people are able to make translations for games that were never released outside of Japan. I'm sure there are many that aren't that great to begin with, but there's always a diamond in the rough. RPG's would basically be impossible to play for non-Japanese gamers, since it's just a ton of reading and selecting your options.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not an RPG, but... I'm just waiting for a full translation of Sim City 64, the Japanese only game for the 64DD, since 64DD games can now be played on a 64DD-less N64 if you have an Everdrive 64 or 64Drive.

Sim City 64 is basically Sim City 2000 with a few additions, including a great first person mode where you can walk or drive around the city that you have built! Go to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpe_BnXcMc8), go to 1:05 in that video and watch what I mean. It is very basic graphically (compared to modern games), admittedly, but no other Sim City game that I know of on the PC duplicates this feature, and it must add enormously to the immersion. There's a partial translation already, but a full one is needed and is currently in the works.

By the way, according to the Wikipedia page, Sim City 64 even allows you to fly around the city in a helicopter or travel by train, and in both cases you get the first person viewpoint. How fantastic must that be?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: