ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Did anyone ever fix the 'sims + shotgun + multiplayer' bug?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Did anyone ever fix the 'sims + shotgun + multiplayer' bug? Reply with quote Back to top

The shotgun thread in the Goldeneye forum reminded me of something I'd been meaning to ask - has anyone ever fixed the bug where the sims are totally useless with the shotgun in multiplayer? It must be a bug, as they are deadly with it in single player, so I'm curious as to if anyone has fixed this bug in a patch, or at least knows what causes it..

For anyone who hasn't seen this bug, set up a multiplayer game with two teams, one team consisting of just you, and the other team consisting of any number of bots at any skill level (say eight bots at perfect or dark level, to really make the point). Set the weapons to just shotguns (so that's all the sims will use) then don't move in the game, or move if you like, dance around if it makes you happy, and the sims will stand there, shooting you at point blank ranged, and missing you.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have some guesses as to why they might not be as good with the Shotgun, but not sure why it may be related only to Combat Simulator mode and not the mission campaign. Perhaps the AI is setup differently, which could make sense.

To start, when a player fires the shotgun, there are six pellets that scatter outward. However, when a Simulant fires it, only one pellet is used. It likely uses the same accuracy value, and since the shotgun has a wide spread, would be fairly inaccurate. The damage is also applied on a per pellet basis, but Sims have a damage multiplier to increase the power of their single pellet (Sub figured that out and allows us to modify).

The shorter time between shots is due to the pumping animation that takes place for human players. I guess Sims aren't affected by this, and can fire off more quickly than people can. You can adjust their reload time, but not time between shots (that we know of).

There's some other weird behaviour that can happen with Sims using various weapons. If you only have one weapon in the set for multiplayer, sometimes they refuse to equip it when you have one out. But put it away, and they'll equip it right after. I think the Sniper Rifle does this. Some guns they also seem to be poor shots with. While I can't point out any PD weapons, I remember (I think) the D5K in GE-X being practically useless to them. Two Sims standing feet away from each other can barely hit the other.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wreck wrote:
I have some guesses as to why they might not be as good with the Shotgun, but not sure why it may be related only to Combat Simulator mode and not the mission campaign. Perhaps the AI is setup differently, which could make sense.

To start, when a player fires the shotgun, there are six pellets that scatter outward. However, when a Simulant fires it, only one pellet is used. It likely uses the same accuracy value, and since the shotgun has a wide spread, would be fairly inaccurate. The damage is also applied on a per pellet basis, but Sims have a damage multiplier to increase the power of their single pellet (Sub figured that out and allows us to modify).

The shorter time between shots is due to the pumping animation that takes place for human players. I guess Sims aren't affected by this, and can fire off more quickly than people can. You can adjust their reload time, but not time between shots (that we know of).

I see. Thanks.

Quote:

There's some other weird behaviour that can happen with Sims using various weapons. If you only have one weapon in the set for multiplayer, sometimes they refuse to equip it when you have one out. But put it away, and they'll equip it right after. I think the Sniper Rifle does this. Some guns they also seem to be poor shots with. While I can't point out any PD weapons, I remember (I think) the D5K in GE-X being practically useless to them. Two Sims standing feet away from each other can barely hit the other.

I didn't know about that one-weapon-and-the-sims-might-not-use-it-bug (I don't think I've ever played with just one weapon set for the game, do you mean with all weapon slots set to the same weapon, or one slot with a weapon, and the other slots all empty or disabled?).

Anyway, every time I think I probably know everthing about Perfect Dark, I learn another quirk or eccentricity (that means 'bug' but for a game that you love)!

BTW, has the bug with the sims and the Laptop Gun (whereby the sims only deploy the turret mode of the Laptop Gun when the gun has run out of bullets, which makes it useless as a turret) ever been investigated? And also the conditions under which a sim will deploy the Dragon as a proximity mine? I mean, does the sim only do this when the Dragon runs out of bullets, which is what I'd imagine, since they so very rarely use it's turret mode?

Perfect Dark was so ambitious, and it still puts modern games to shame, especially since it's now almost obligatory to have a weapon carrying limit, an automatic checkpoint save system (so you can't go back and replay earlier missions), a rechargable shield, the way that in-game items and objectives glow to catch your attention, constant onscreen prompts to "Press X to open door" etc, linear maps to stop you getting lost (and even then they have an onscreen arrow to guide you to the objective!), etc.

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually come to think of it has anyone noticed that the Sims are deadly with the AR34? Perhaps it's just me but even at medium skill levels they seem to be substantially more effective with this gun than others.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I do tend to wonder if they have their own set of stats for various aspects of the weaponry. I know SubDrag found something relating to how they use weapons, and we recently determined that it was for their melee attack speed and pattern. So it is possible that other data is handled outside of the weapon blocks us humans depend on. Be fairly easy to test out.

YOUTUBE | FACEBOOK | VAULT | MOD DB | RHDN

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That's great news. Has anything else regarding weapons been discovered? Like the Muzzle flare's data and how they operate in first person and third person viewpoint perspectives? Where bullet casings fly off in first person view?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Perfect Dark All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: