GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Turok 1/Armorines - Analog Controls Modification ROM Hack
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject: Turok 1/Armorines - Analog Controls Modification ROM Hack Reply with quote Back to top

Turok was a game I always wanted to play through, but the "PC-like" controls on an N64 just never quite did it for me. I really enjoyed Turok 2, and even Turok 3, but never was able to really do the original. I never made it that far due to the controls, but I always wanted to play through this game. Much later I tried Armorines, and it seemed even more awkward, and I never got anywhere. I'm still not clear why Armorines didn't have an option for analog movement controls, considering it had 5 control schemes, though oddly none right.

These patches make the controls the more standard analog to turn and move forward/back, and c-up/c-down to aim up and down. The first part of the hack was to essentially swap the c-up/down and analog up/down, and also make it so the aim up/down was incremental (essentially converting to Look Spring, as it was not in Turok that way). Also, to better mimic the way movement works, it auto-centers the vertical when go forward or backwards (from a lull), while can aim at a run without it inadvertantly auto-centering. It is very similar to the way most fps work on N64, such as GoldenEye (without the R to aim, it jumps instead). I think the controls ended up pretty slick, and even though the game once in a while feels a little "slippery", I believe that is due to the way the controls work in the original game.

I wonder if I am the only one who was waiting for this patch...if you use it, let me know how it does.

http://goldeneyevault.com/viewfile.php?id=312

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for making this patch available, of course, but I won't be using it. To me, the best way of playing FPSs on the N64 was Turok's way, usint the analogue stick to aim and turn, and the C buttons to move. I use this in all N64 FPS, and I always turn off the 'Look ahead' (the 'automatically centre the view vertically) option too, as I prefer to control where I'm looking (I wish you could turn off this in Duke Nukem 64, it's my one complaint about DN64).

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Haha, I wondered if there were people who were the opposite, stuff like, man I hate GoldenEye and Perfect Dark controls, I hope someone will fix it, Turok controls are all the rage. I don't think those games support Turok style, but I'm not certain.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Heheh, I remember the South Park FPS had different control options parodizing certain game titles. I think there was something like BrownEye and Toe-Rock.

I've never tried Armorines before, nor looked at any video footage. Might be worth a try, and if I hate the controls, at least there is another option open now.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

There was a minor negative dead zone issue with my previous patch (though I didn't notice it until...trying the game I just added, Rainbow Six, which apparently used the same control scheme as Turok, so I needed to "fix" it.).

So if you've got the patch, you'll want to regrab, and also grab if you want to play Rainbow Six with Analog movement controls! Admittedly, I've never played this game before, so I don't know how well I did.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Rainbow Six is very badly broken in many ways. (not the patch, the game compared to PC) Not sure if a complete list of problems versus PC is available. What I do remember:
*) Most supplemental equipment is basically worthless since the effect is always available. No point with any of the defuse/lockpick/heartbeat monitors or the like. The effect is always available even when not equipped.
*) Proximity and sound are also broken, possibly due to trigger effects, so it's possible to walk in the wrong part of the map on the opposite part of the stage and trigger guards. Easy way to lose hostages.
*) Flashbangs kill hostages. In fact, the sound of them can kill hostages.
*) Grenades work on a die-roll kind of system. It's possible for enemies in other rooms to die from them even when they fail to damage anyone in the room you tossed it.
*) Camo has no effect on N64. Also, heavy versus light does affect the sound effect set used but the audibility is the same to enemies.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It got an 87% on N64 Magazine, and an 8.5 on IGN. And I had some friends way way back when, who "forgot" to attend meetings because they got so engulfed in Rainbow Six. So I fixed the controls more or less, maybe you can fix those issues Wink On a quick play, it was kind of cool, I'll watch out for those glitches though.

I've been requested to also fix controls on Hexen (which is kind of a train wreck on N64 controls, egads, though doesn't even have strafe at all), and Duke Nukem 64 - move the duck/jump to R + c-up/down, and moving aiming up down from D-up/down to C-up/C-down.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OK did the last control change for hopefully this batch, as long as no serious bugs. Duke Nukem 64, the Control Stick Move scheme, this swaps the C-up/C-down with D-pad up/down, that Jump is D-up, Crouch is D-down, and C-up is aim down and C-down is aim up (inverted).

Also, for Hexen, pretty decent controls adjustment, the only thing I couldn't get right, due to lack of knowing compression (and figuring out asm too) for weird way it does strafe.

Hexen New Controls:
New Controls
R Jump
Z Attack
A/C-Left or C-right, Change Item
D-left/D-right Change Weapon
L Map
C-up/C-down Look up/down (inverted)
C-left and stick/left right, to strafe
A+D-up/D-down (fly, I think, at some point when you can fly)

It had...really bizarre controls before the change.

Last edited by SubDrag on Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

zoinkity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

IGN also gave TWINE a 8.9 so I have some misgivings about their rating system.

I had collected that and a list of a few other glitches when putzing around with fixing it before. Actually own the cart ;*) The list proved awfully long and not simple fixes. There's some, like getting stuck inside objects and walls that there's just no clear way to fix.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have played Hexen on the N64 a few times in the past, but could never really decide if I liked it or not. I wanted to, yet it just didn't grab me. Can't recall how the controls were, but anything closer to how GE and PD plays is a welcome update.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag, if you have the time, would you consider making a patch for Duke Nukem 64 that removes the "Look ahead" function please, so that with the patch attached, then if you're looking say seventy degrees in the air, then you still looking seventy degrees in the air no matter what you do, unless you deliberately alter the Y-axis yourself.

I hate the 'Look ahead' function in games.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ah I called it auto center in my mods I made for Turok and the others. I will look into it. I have to remap the controls a bit tonight for it too.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I usually find the look ahead function useful, but can understand how some others wouldn't like it. At certain times it can be problematic (bad timing when action is happening), though overall I prefer having it, myself.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Oh and Kerr Avon, you meant the Control Move style right, I assume?

I believe it's implemented, if you get the latest:

Of course, you'll need to use my control scheme, for Control Move style, which is remapped.

C-up/down to aim (inverted)
R Jump
A Crouch
D-Down/up Weapon Fwd/Back
B Use

Heh, also, I've noticed auto-center sort of depends on how sensitive your n64 controller stick is. Some are very sensitive, others need a bigger tug at it.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
Oh and Kerr Avon, you meant the Control Move style right, I assume?

I believe it's implemented, if you get the latest:

Of course, you'll need to use my control scheme, for Control Move style, which is remapped.

C-up/down to aim (inverted)
R Jump
A Crouch
D-Down/up Weapon Fwd/Back
B Use

Ah, could you maybe please make a patch that removes Duke Nukem 64's look ahead (auto-centre view), but doesn't change anything else? I'm no fan of the 'Analogue stick to move and C buttons to aim" control style, personally. I much prefer the C buttons to move and the analogue stick to aim, myself.

If not, then fair enough, mate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: