GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Turok 1/Armorines - Analog Controls Modification ROM Hack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Ah, could you maybe please make a patch that removes Duke Nukem 64's look ahead (auto-centre view), but doesn't change anything else? I'm no fan of the 'Analogue stick to move and C buttons to aim" control style, personally. I much prefer the C buttons to move and the analogue stick to aim, myself.

If not, then fair enough, mate.

I'm confused, I added auto-center view, not took it away. It did not do that before. Is that what you mean? What control scheme do you use for Duke? Control Stick Look? On both modes it does not auto-recenter, on look mode, it just is wherever you are holding the analog stick.

Is it possible you are using the wrong term, and mean look-spring? I'm really confused. Lookspring is where wherever you hold the analog it goes to, not incremental. Armorines has the option lookspring or off in the base one.

Perhaps you are thinking of another game? Zero hour appears to be the same, although supports GoldenEye mode with "Shaken" control scheme.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
Quote:

Ah, could you maybe please make a patch that removes Duke Nukem 64's look ahead (auto-centre view), but doesn't change anything else? I'm no fan of the 'Analogue stick to move and C buttons to aim" control style, personally. I much prefer the C buttons to move and the analogue stick to aim, myself.

If not, then fair enough, mate.

I'm confused, I added auto-center view, not took it away. It did not do that before. Is that what you mean? What control scheme do you use for Duke? Control Stick Look? On both modes it does not auto-recenter, on look mode, it just is wherever you are holding the analog stick.

Is it possible you are using the wrong term, and mean look-spring? I'm really confused. Lookspring is where wherever you hold the analog it goes to, not incremental. Armorines has the option lookspring or off in the base one.

Perhaps you are thinking of another game? Zero hour appears to be the same, although supports GoldenEye mode with "Shaken" control scheme.

Ah, sorry. I meant 'Look spring', it's been so long since I've thought about look spring, that my (tiny!) brain got it confused with 'look ahead'. Basically, I'd like to play Duke Nukem 64 using the analogue stick for look and C buttons for move, with the only (patched) change being that look-spring is disabled, if that's possible.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Look-ahead and look-spring are not one n the same ..?

So they both center your aim automatically , a big no-no I don't even know why it's a "feature"

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately lookspring is a very different matter I'm afraid, sorry,I didn't implement anything like that from analog stick.

I'm not sure if lookahead is a real term, Hexen used Manual Center and Auto-Center.

But anyways, look spring is when you are aiming using analog, and it does one of two options:
OFF: As you move up or down it moves the aimer incrementally, releasing stick keeps where aimed.
ON: Aims where your pointer is positioned, on release stick, goes back to center

If lookspring is off, lookahead is the term I've been using to say, if you are not aiming center, and move forward or backward from 0 without aiming being held at the start of movement time, re-center the view. GoldenEye basically does that, well, in 1.1. Their 1.2 does not auto-center, but lookspring is OFF, so it is incremental and as Kerr Avon wanted for Duke (but it is not for that game or Turok, while Armorines has a choice).

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
Unfortunately lookspring is a very different matter I'm afraid, sorry,I didn't implement anything like that from analog stick.

Fair enough.

Quote:

I'm not sure if lookahead is a real term, Hexen used Manual Center and Auto-Center.

But anyways, look spring is when you are aiming using analog, and it does one of two options:
OFF: As you move up or down it moves the aimer incrementally, releasing stick keeps where aimed.
ON: Aims where your pointer is positioned, on release stick, goes back to center

If lookspring is off, lookahead is the term I've been using to say, if you are not aiming center, and move forward or backward from 0 without aiming being held at the start of movement time, re-center the view. GoldenEye basically does that, well, in 1.1. Their 1.2 does not auto-center, but lookspring is OFF, so it is incremental and as Kerr Avon wanted for Duke (but it is not for that game or Turok, while Armorines has a choice).

Understood, thanks.

Sadly, modern first person shooter control options are becoming rare and rarer, at least on consoles. It's not uncommon to have only a choice between two control setups (often a left, and a right handed version), and an invert the Y-axis option, and nothing more. It's all the more annoying when you consider that many people, me included, like to use a standardized control system, such as say Right-Trigger for primary fire, Left-Trigger for secondary fire (or throw grenade, if there's no secondaty fire), Left-Bumper for weapon select, B for melee attack, etc. Instead, you play game a, then when you stop, change the disc for a different game, and have to adjust to using Right-Analogue-Stick click for melee, Right-Bumper for seconday fire, Y to change weapons, etc. It's not a big problem, but if games offered you a more complete way to choose your controls, then three quarters of FPSs could have mostly the same controls, exactly the way each user prefers.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Man, me and my friends we're just playing Turok 2 Seeds Of Evil after not playing it for years, and we played some multiplayer and the controls felt floaty as all heck in my personal opinion. Everything felt so wrong to be honest.

Trying to shoot a Dino with a bow on the N64 is a chore in itself when it comes to this game haha. Laughing

SATURN_81
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ENGLISH:

Hello Happy New Year 2016 to all.

I gladly GE controls or PD style Turok Dinosaur Hunter, now with these new controls are handled better at the game, I supngo this was a highly anticipated return. I can imagine it would have been good to have these controls when Turok went on sale, then perhaps that would have subtracted had the added difficulty that the contorles game that was released.

Duke Nukem also appreciate the change of control, although I wish I could change weapons with the button A, open or close doors with B, and crouch with the D-pad.

these changes do I have new ideas and questions in order to continue on the same line or improving new Flat characteristics including these patches.

Turok Dinosaur Hunter:

- Can you change the drawing crosshair with any program and replace it eg by GE or PD?

- Can it be made permanent when we click on button L, the crosshairs (Crosshair) without the map displayed on the screen?

- If the above question is posible.¿ can only use the R button to aim as we do at GE or PD? . maybe this is not very useful because the enemies are the same damage on any part of the body to shoot him or PD Unlike GE, however it may be fun and perhaps more useful in Turok 2.

GE and PD:

Can you create a button to "jump" to the R button using some code MoonJump. but using for it values ​​the jump is not infinite and a small jump like Turok? . what is that changing the values ​​of the codes moonjump, you can limit the height of the jump.

for other games in general N64:

we know that in the vast majority of games usually do not use the D-pad and instead we use the analog stick. You can be a patch to deal also with the D-pad, racing games as MK64, Diddy Kong Racing Race or wave?. I know this can be done by setting the controls in an emulator, but might not be the same, that is to say I want to feel it as if it came from the factory default in games after purchase. sometimes when I was the N64 gave me the feeling that was left to use the D-pad for most games and sometimes even seemed an ornament in the joistick.

perhaps many users have new or similar ideas.

SPANISH:
Hello Happy New Year 2016 to all.

I gladly GE controls or PD style Turok Dinosaur Hunter, now with these new controls are handled better at the game, I supngo this was a highly anticipated return. I can imagine it would have been good to have these controls when Turok went on sale, then perhaps that would have subtracted had the added difficulty that the contorles game that was released.

Duke Nukem also appreciate the change of control, although I wish I could change weapons with the button A, open or close doors with B, and crouch with the D-pad.

these changes do I have new ideas and questions in order to continue on the same line or improving new Flat characteristics including these patches.

Turok Dinosaur Hunter:

- Can you change the drawing crosshair with any program and replace it eg by GE or PD?

- Can it be made permanent when we click on button L, the crosshairs (Crosshair) without the map displayed on the screen?

- If the above question is posible.¿ can only use the R button to aim as we do at GE or PD? . maybe this is not very useful because the enemies are the same damage on any part of the body to shoot him or PD Unlike GE, however it may be fun and perhaps more useful in Turok 2.

GE and PD:

Can you create a button to "jump" to the R button using some code MoonJump. but using for it values ​​the jump is not infinite and a small jump like Turok? . what is that changing the values ​​of the codes moonjump, you can limit the height of the jump.

for other games in general N64:

we know that in the vast majority of games usually do not use the D-pad and instead we use the analog stick. You can be a patch to deal also with the D-pad, racing games as MK64, Diddy Kong Racing Race or wave?. I know this can be done by setting the controls in an emulator, but might not be the same, that is to say I want to feel it as if it came from the factory default in games after purchase. sometimes when I was the N64 gave me the feeling that was left to use the D-pad for most games and sometimes even seemed an ornament in the joistick.

perhaps many users have new or similar ideas.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In Duke, since you have to hold to crouch, if it's C-down it's basically unusable unfortunately. So that's why ended up that way alas. B does "use" though, so should open doors, I think.

I kept Rainbow the Six the same, as I believe you will need Run a lot, and it to be natural to hand, while swapping weapons not as often, so mapped to L.

Turok it's not a crosshair btw with L, that's just your map. Your position happens to be close to center of screen (maybe is?). It does seem like your aim is slightly below the bottom of the centered map heh. In theory, someone could maaaybe change the image, or just move it down and swap.

I can't really very easily add aimer style to any of the games, if they didn't already have it. Rainbow Six sort of had it, though a little different as can turn, but I kept it in, but mapped to R button. None of the others had anything remotely similar to aiming, including Turok.

GE and PD has no way to jump. Moonjump codes in GE didn't work unless you were on a slanted clipping tile. Not sure about PD.

The D-Pad was pretty much an ornament as you put it, except for games that required way too many buttons and needed to use them for certain things. It would be challenging to swap D-Pad with Analog, similar to the troubles I had, because D-Pad is basically "On" or "Off", while Analog has degrees. It's probably possible, but I wouldn't really want it heh, I like the analog. You could try a simple way by remapping in emulator, but it won't be as natural as the way I have done it, probably.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For the record, I added 3 more, from requests.

Forsaken and Daikatana, both that only had Turok style controls before. Also, it was requested for Turok 2, to make it so D-pad and C-pad were completely swapped, so that they could use the right hand on the analog, and left hand on D-pad for strafing. I don't expect to make more of those, but it's in there too.

Same link.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Also just added Shadowgate 64. Just so happen came across it. This game has the weirdest control scheme I've seen. For some reason, aiming (using analog), it can only go up, up, up, and then if you want to go down a little, has to below or equal 0 and then it recenters and then lets you go down. And vice versa for down. So weird, I undid that, and then swapped analog up/down and c-up/down. Another weird thing is you can't strafe and move forward in the original game. Due to weird and seemingly poor controller code, I was unable to fix this at this time.

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Little off topic Subdrag, but since you are one of the few people hacking Turok 2 I wonder if you have seen the 2 player coop glitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlbbGwV2iys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4dl0stYu9Q

Is it possible to exploit the glitch and make it a full blown feature?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some one could probably turn it into a full mode, but it'd be a lot of effort, that co-op thing. I swapped L and R in the Turok 2 patch for Left-handers at least now.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just wanted to say that the Turok control change is excellent. For the way I prefer controls in an FPS, it makes the game far more playable. I have already gotten further through it than ever before, because of how frustrating I found it originally. While jumping is still a pain in the butt, it is easier for me now. Just gotta use the overhead map as a guide.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

G14Classified - I added left-handed versions of the Turok 1 analog patches. It turned out to be fairly trivial since the game already supported left-handed (it is baffling Turok 1 had it, but Turok 2 didn't???), it's just my patch was hardcoded to c-buttons. So all I did was swap that check to D-pad, and then default to left-handed mode on boot. Technically it could've been made into one patch and support left/right like game, just toggling, but I ran out of ASM space, so oh well.

Last edited by SubDrag on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

G14Classified
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Got down to playing the Turok 1 patch, not just trying out but truly play it. And man, did I have some fun, finally jumped my way past the pillars without frustration and advanced quite a bit into the game, had a blast. Fantastic that you were able to patch this and Turok 2.

Its alright that you weren't able to incorporate left and right control schemes in the same patch, I think where it would really matter is in Turok 2 since that one does have multiplayer, that way each player can switch at will. But this is awesome as it is, loving this game!

Thanks!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: