GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Turok 1/Armorines - Analog Controls Modification ROM Hack
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Kerr Avon, I know you requested to modify the new Doom ports to a better control scheme. Can you explain what it is today, and what you wanted to modify it to?

It doesn't run in nemu so I doubt I will be able to fix.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
Kerr Avon, I know you requested to modify the new Doom ports to a better control scheme. Can you explain what it is today, and what you wanted to modify it to?

It doesn't run in nemu so I doubt I will be able to fix.

OK, as you know the ports of Doom (and Doom 2, Doom 2: TNT, and Doom 2: Evolution) are discussed in the threads at:

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1886.0

and

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/doom-for-nintendo-64.52471/

Quote from the first post in the second thread (by the bloke who ported the game) :

"I have released all source code and build artifacts for 64Doom through a GitHub project that can be found at: https://github.com/jnmartin84/64doom as required by the GPL.

Please find linked below the latest release of the 64Doom ROM creator toolkit.

https://github.com/jnmartin84/64doom/blob/master/64DOOM_BUILDER.zip?raw=true

PLEASE READ THE INCLUDED "README" FILE CAREFULLY BEFORE ASKING WHY YOUR BUILDS DON'T WORK. PAY SPECIAL ATTENTION TO THE LIST OF WAD FILENAMES."

Personally, I can't play the game as I detest the controls, which are:

N64 controller mapping:
===============
D-PAD UP / ANALOG STICK UP :: move forward
--
D-PAD DOWN / ANALOG STICK DOWN :: move backward
--
D-PAD LEFT / ANALOG STICK LEFT :: turn left
--
D-PAD RIGHT / ANALOG STICK RIGHT :: turn right
--
L TRIGGER :: strafe left
--
R TRIGGER :: strafe right
--
C LEFT :: switch to previous weapon
--
C RIGHT :: switch to next weapon
--
C UP :: toggle auto-map
--
C DOWN :: ENTER key
--
Z :: toggle run on/off
--
A :: shoot
--
B :: use (open doors, flip switches)
--
START :: ESCAPE key
--
L + R :: enable/disable debug output and GOD MODE
--
L + Z :: press 5 times in a row to skip to next level
--
R + Z :: increases gamma correction

(of course, these are the same controls for all four ports; Doom 1, 2, TNT, and Evolution)

and a few other people have said that the controls are preventing them from playing the port, so I've asked the author if he'd implement a more traditional control N64 scheme, but he said he's not interested. He has released the source code, but presumably no one who wants the changes has the programming skills to implement them.

The control scheme I requested was (copied and pasted from my post in the above thread) :

"[This is how the control scheme would work in the game]

During the game, the C buttons are used to Move forward (C-Up), Move backwards (C-down), strafe left (C-Left) and strafe right (C-Right). But on menus, C-Up moves up in the menu, and C-Down moves down.

The analogue stick turns left and right, and also moves forwards and backwards (to please the people who like (from Goldeneye and Perfect Dark) the 1.1 style controls, and also those who prefer 1.2 style controls)

Z = Shoot

A = (in game) Previous Weapon / (in menu) ENTER (i.e. choose highlighted option)

B = (in game) Next Weapon / (in menu) ESCAPE

Left Shoulder Button = Map

Right Shoulder Button = Open

D-Pad Up = (on menu) up / (in game) = Always Run

D-Pad Down = (on menu) down / (in game) = Always Walk

D-Pad Right = (on menu) ENTER / (in game) = ? [Whatever is needed*]

D-Pad Left = (on menu) ESCAPE / (in game) = ? [Whatever is needed*]

START = (on menu) ESCAPE / (in game) ESCAPE (i.e. bring up menu)

* Just in case more controls are needed for something, such as a cheat menu or whatever you want to add."

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Doom 1 2 and the 2 xpacks ported to N64 !?

64doombuilder ..? Embarassed

I have the IWADs , how does one make use of

EDIT: Just place them in wadfiles and then run the batch .bat file =}

I tried to see if it would use others like Chex3 lol but wouldn't

This was two years ago ? I've been missing out !

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

mistamontiel wrote:
Doom 1 2 and the 2 xpacks ported to N64 !?

64doombuilder ..? Embarassed

I have the IWADs , how does one make use of

EDIT: Just place them in wadfiles and then run the batch .bat file =}

I tried to see if it would use others like Chex3 lol but wouldn't

This was two years ago ? I've been missing out !

Time really does fly, doesn't it? Glad you got it to work, I'm working away from home, or I'd have pm'd you the working roms from my desktop PC (if I still have them).

MRKane

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

At a quick glance I can't find where controls are assigned. You'd expect an input centre or similar to be in the code somewhere...
EDIT: It appears to be in the g_game.c file. I've no time to pursue this, but I'd assume it'd require some screwing with the code and seeing about shifting the necessary functions over
https://github.com/jnmartin84/64doom/blob/63167c78eac53fb80627a593f11780df9b58e567/src/g_game.c

EDIT2: Mapping is in:
https://github.com/jnmartin84/64doom/blob/63167c78eac53fb80627a593f11780df9b58e567/src/n64_i_input.c

Ok...how do we do this...

MRKane

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well after hours of trying to get the source code to compile using the Makefile I think I'm about ready to give up. I've gone through visualstudio, CGYWin, some other one that a mate gave me and keep on hitting different issues. Has anyone had any success with this? The documentation seems complete (on the surface) but I'm wondering if things have moved on since then.

Pertaining to the other doom mods, I wonder if there are some checks in there or it just doesn't like things that are different?

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I couldn't get it to build either in Ubuntu Linux, but this isn't my forte, linux. Get undefined references...it's not compiling, not sure why. But I give up as well. Hopefully someone better at linux can get it compilling.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for trying, both of you. Hopefully someone will get the controls changed sometime, it would be great to play Doom 1 and 2 on the N64.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hahaha, yeah, I also cant seem to build it.

The Doom source requires the OS generated by LibDragon and all the refrences are for use by a linux wrapper for GCC.

When JnMartin first released the source, I tried to re-assign the depends to LibUltra but I failed.

LibUltra would also allow using the GBI to draw things in "real 3D" rather than psudo 3D as LibDragon (as far as I read somewhere) does not do GBI.

Trev

MRKane

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've actually been hacking away at it over the weekend and can get halfway there, but there's stuff in odd places and it doesn't make all that much sense. I might cast a little attention to it from now on, but as best I've found it's designed for a specific set of wrappers running in a windows environment and that's about the point when my brain goes "arg!"

Looking further into the control code (and everything leading up to it) I'm not seeing a way to have the analog stick actually supported as turning is +/- a static value - the control system might be a result of the limitations actually. Now in saying all of this, I wonder what other mods we could get into this thing.

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, the turning is binary since Doom used the keyboard, however you can set greater than values to induce "Shift+up" for running
The stick should use values of +/- 127 for X and Y where 0 is center.
(... or is it 0-256 where 128 is center... ?)

Have you followed the LibDragon instructions?

I got as far as CygWin but it didnt run in 98 and I havnt tried in 7 (though it should work in 7)

If you can get LibDragon to compile, Doom should compile too.

Trev

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had libdragon built and setup on Linux vm but I still got tons of undefined references on build. Whatever this guy's build environment is, it must be very specific.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Jason (the bloke who ported Doom 1/2/Evolution/TNT to the N64) has said:

"I realized recently that I had several patches to libdragon that I forgot I had done and without them it is impossible to build the 64Doom code and get it to run correctly if it did build.

I have to create a patch-set for that and post it to Github soon.

Other than that, it is all done using the standard GNU cross-compilation tool-chain and libdragon.

https://github.com/DragonMinded/libdragon
https://dragonminded.com/n64dev/libdragon/
"

(in the thread http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=1886.0). When he posts the patch, I'll mention it here, in case anyone wants to compile the port (and hopefully change the controls Very Happy ).

MRKane

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Having read the thread I'm appalled at the amount of angst that's been sent in his direction. Makes me proud not to be living in my mothers basement anymore...

I'll be interested to keep an eye on anything that he does post pertaining to libdragon - would be cool to get it compiling irrespective of wether or not changes CAN be made with that library (my gut still says that analogue stick cannot be supported which explains a heap). Still, I'd be able to make a builder with a WORSE control scheme because if years as a programmer has taught me anything, it's that I can always make something worse Wink

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I believe it already supports the analog stick, it's just the other buttons are in a different configuration.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: