0%  [ 0 ]
2.4 Goodhead
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: What's your N64 control scheme? Reply with quote Back to top

With all the interesting things relating to games, and how I was working on turning some games into analog controls for movement, it made me wonder, what control scheme do you guys use, and inverted or not?

I always just assumed that everyone used GoldenEye 1.1, with invert on...but I wonder, if that's just simply not true! I can't stand the Turok style controls (probably GoldenEye 1.2), but really curious who plays how.

EternallyAries

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I prefer Honey. feels right and plays exactly how I feel a shooter should play on a N64.

I leave inverted on while most of my brothers plays it without inverted which is too odd for me to play it without the inverted aim on.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Only one for Solitaire ? Wow ..?

I thought that control scheme was staple the only way to defeat GE007/PD precisely+quickly

I can't get to grips with it neither .. Honey non-inverted for me personally invert is only for flight

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely Honey. I have used Solitaire to improve a few speedrun attempts, but I don't like it nearly as much. I prefer to have Look Ahead on, though Auto-Aim can be either on or off. Headroll can be a little annoying when making long range sniper shots, yet it does add another element of skill. I have to invert the Y Axis for looking whenever possible. It just feels wrong not being that way.

Funny how people can prefer such different control styles and options. Guess that's why certain games offer so many.

pavarini
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Am I the only person who prefers Solitare? Wow

Thundera8589
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If I am playing on console or emulator with an n64 controller I just Honey 1.1. However, if I am playing on emulator with no n64 controller available (currently) I choose Solitaire 1.2 control scheme. Ultimately, my control scheme would be Honey 1.1 as the preferred choice if I had an n64 controller available. I'll go with Solitaire for now since that's what I currently use.

mistamontiel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is that what "Headroll" is ? Just makes you move when aiming down sight ?

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure, yeah. Or at least that's when the effect is most noticeable. It may still do something minor to your screen even without zooming, but it would be much harder to tell.

Metal Gear was neat how they handled that, too. You could take a Diazepam or Pentazamine pill to relax yourself for a brief period of time to substantially reduce the amount of headroll. Never tried smoking a cigarette while using a sniper rifle before, but it is possible that it offered a similar effect.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

According to the wiki:
"In Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, the Cigarettes will help to steady the player's aim in First Person View, though the Life Gauge will still deplete."

Honey all the way. Not entirely surprised nobody picked the 2.x configs.

Fillerthefreak
Secret Agent
Secret Agent

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Solitaire is amazing if you have a controller with the A and B buttons on both sides of the controller, since you can use your proper hand to aim.

Either than that, I guess Honey with no reversed Y axis is pretty good, too.

Kerr Avon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For me it's 1.2, inverted. I always use the analogue stick to look, and the C buttons to move, in any N64 FPS.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Unrelated to this specific discussion, but stays within the control schemes topic, is when a well established game series decides to alter the already well working controls and alienate the core fans. Main one that stands out to me, is Resident Evil: Outbreak - File 2. For some totally unknown reason, they switched the square button and circle button around. Square is the run button, which in a survival horror game is vital. Now you awkwardly needed to hold the circle button, while also needing to use the X button to check things and open doors. Even the extra control styles did the same sort of layout. This alone prevented me from really enjoying this game, and that was a huge disappointment.

TH126
Agent
Agent

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When using N64 controller I always use Honey. When I'm emulating I use Solitaire. I use a Logitech Dual Action with a more modern thumb stick layout.

Oh...and inverted all the way.

zoinkity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

How about this then: how many of you use a different scheme for multiplayer?

I can understand using the c-movement schemes for speedruns in solo, but it could make you far easier to predict or victim to explosives in MP.

Dragonsbrethren
Hacker
Hacker

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It's actually really interesting how differently I control the games depending on what I'm playing them on. If I pick up an N64 controller, it's like I'm back in 1997 -- I can use 1.1 or 1.2, but my brain defaults to 1.1 and it takes me a moment to adapt to 1.2 again if that's what I had the profile set to. Controls must be inverted if I'm playing with a 1.x scheme on the N64. I make much heavier use of aim mode with these schemes, too, outside of multiplayer.

If I'm playing with a dual analog controller, like the 360 version of PD, most other FPSes, or even emulated GE/PD, I use a pretty standard modern scheme. Left stick for four directional movement, right stick for aiming, with non-inverted controls. I blame playing lots of Halo and other multiplayer FPSes with friends on a shared profile for adapting to the more modern scheme, because believe me, I was terrible with it originally.

Interestingly, I never really used the 2.x schemes back in the day, so if I use those, I play it more like a modern game and like the right stick uninverted. This is usually what I do nowadays when I play my N64, I believe 2.2 is the scheme I use.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Game-On! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: