ShootersForever.com Forum Index

GoldenEye 007 Nintendo 64 Community, GoldenEye X, Nintendo 64 Games Discussion
GoldenEye Cheats, GoldenEye X Codes, Tips, Help, Nintendo 64 Gaming Community

Black decals on custom map
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SubDrag wrote:
OK I took a look.

The untextured is causing the main issues like bulletholes I think. It should not have a texture assigned, should be FFFF texture if untextured. I also think Trevor said needs be one cycle, maybe more settings? I just think its a mistake, not really supposed to be advanced no texture.

https://gyazo.com/0346b5f2a7dbf52f8d3cf92c4091a39b

Also another big issue is all TopFlag and Transparent must be secondary. A lot is not and causing issues.

Thank you I'll change all of this and try.
I started this rom again and don't know from where does this untextured ground came from. A missclick. But there was the same parameters elsewhere thought.

Quote:
Also another big issue is all TopFlag and Transparent must be secondary. A lot is not and causing issues.

Oh don't know why I've set the decals to primary now. I know I had once a problem where secondary where all black on console.
Anyway I have my answer, so it was settings related and some things were put in wrong order. Noob errors. :/

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok so the problem still appears after doing a fresh new rom.

Sadly I didn't took pictures of settings etc...but I have to do it again, a step by step test to confirm.

I'm almost positive the problem appear once I add an intensity alpha texture to the end of the rom.

Strangely, black decal appear on a new map, even if that new texture isn't loaded at all inside the level.
I did try a simple cube room with texture from an original PD level, using the exact same filtering settings used by rare, and black decals appeared.

I'll make a clear and detailed post about issue, with a new rom, with only that texture added and see what happen.
Intensity alpha texture are so hard to create, it was a lot of pain to do already...photshop wouldn't do one that worked inside PD. I had to import it in Xview as a png and then saved it as bmp there. But it seem the headache are not over. I really want that grass texture in my map. Twisted Evil

Trevor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thats a nice grassy decal.

IA 4/0 are easy enough to create, its just a greyscale image that the N64 copies onto the alpha channel.
IA 3/1 are probably more complicated but if you try to limit your pallet in PS and save as 32bit then PG will automatically assign the correct pallet. If you make a smooth colour gradient then you will see banding in finished product.

Basically the rule is, any Grayscale image, create bit limited in PS, but when you save them, always use 32bit bmp for PG.
PG will probably import as 8bitIA, so double click the new image and change it to 4bit IA and re-import.

Trev

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've been trying to solve this thing since back then, without positive results.
I start to wonder if it's not related something like objectives (which I've never added yet).

Everytime I try a level I created, with my own textures, I got this black decal issue.
Could it be related to objectives, or whatever. Am I really the only one who has that issue when creating a simple map with custom texture added at the end of rom ?
I'm working with the rom created by Sogun with the Nintendo levels, and whatever, still got this issue.

If someone wants to try it. This one has no secondary room. It's only a single room, primary only. Default settings for textures.
The solo level replaced is Attack Ship.
https://www.mediafire.com/?dm9kh6dio4zb29f

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The problem is your image at end of ROM doesn't do natural bulletholes, but pure black? What image # was that?

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well it does it on the whole "level", on every texture. They're all set to wood sound effect and bulletholes, except for the tapestry 0BDC that is on default in both sound and bullethole.

Seem if that problem trigger, the whole level is affected.

Textures loaded are those :
Quote:
0DBC 0DBC.bmp
0DB3 0DB3.bmp
0DB4 0DB4.bmp
0DB2 0DB2.bmp
0DAF 0DAF.bmp
0DB0 0DB0.bmp
0DB1 0DB1.bmp
0DBE 0DBE.bmp
0DBF 0DBF.bmp
0DC0 0DC0.bmp
0DC6 0DC6.bmp
0DE9 0DE9.bmp
0DEA 0DEA.bmp
0DF4 0DF4.bmp

What's really strange is that it affects the blood too. Every decals become affected, on every texture.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It seems like, the default HIT_DEFAULT is somehow being corrupted. So in your ROM, Defection is OK, but not your custom level, so I wonder if Displaylist is being left in a bad state after Room. Trying to figure it out.

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I finally figured it out. So, have you always done 1 Room, no portals? In PD, unlike GE, when you have no portals, things do not...work correctly. I guess it's related to the lighting engine.

Anyways, if you split it into multiple rooms, add a Portal, then voila, the bulletholes and guard color splatters are back.

AL64inthedark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I already did maps with many rooms and portal and had that issue. But I've never used lightning at all, because I'm still at the stage of modelling and "playing" only to check scales.

I'm trying a level made of 3 rooms with those textures to see. Also, did set them to other than default HIT_

SubDrag
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure it's due to lack of portals. If you get a 3 room plus portals test that still has that issue, let me know.

Wreck
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not sure if in any way related, but back in the very early days of GoldenEye X, somehow the blood spatter got corrupted. It was all pixelated and terrible looking. Still red, but screwed up in another way. I ended up starting over from scratch on a new ROM, which got rid of the issue - which has never reoccured since.

I recall SubDrag doing some tests before with the Library map in GE-X, since some rooms inexplicably are slightly darker than others (also happens in some other levels, and I found one instance in Perfect Dark's Skedar multi map). You can tell by the floors and ceilings where they connect to other rooms. He tested the portals, as well as how the lighting functions in general, and there was odd behaviour with bullet holes. Was quite a while back, so I don't remember it exactly.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShootersForever.com Forum Index -> Mapping and Modelling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: